PDA

View Full Version : ThinkSecret: Adobe to drop OS 9 with Photoshop 8

arn
Jan 27, 2003, 05:23 PM
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/adobemacos9.html

Thinksecret reports that Photoshop 8 will be Mac OS X only.

There was unverified net gossip (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=18304) floating around that Adobe would be dropping Mac support entirely with PS8... but this has yet to be reverified.

sparkleytone
Jan 27, 2003, 05:51 PM
its about time. i'm sure photoshop7 is great and all, but carbon is a halfbaked solution in my opinion. cocoa programs seem to have a much quicker development time and integrate with what OS X has to offer much better than carbon counterparts.

crassusad44
Feb 13, 2003, 06:04 AM
If I remember correctly (ThinkSecret has now pulled the article at the request from Adobe legal), Adobe considers dropping OS 9 support to add OS X only features. I don't think this would mean cocoa at this point (maybe version 9...), allthough a complete rewrite of the app has been discussed earlier. PS 8 will include many OS X features, and, hopefully, also include features only found in OS X (make those Wintel users drool even more!!!)

As for the Adobe dropping Mac support all together.... What kind of dumb ass stupid moron posted this in the first place???? And why, WHY, does some people even belive in it (like a couple of posters in another thread here at MR). To make it simple. What kind of company would drop support for 50% of their installed user base, especially when their installed Mac user base consists to a large degree of multi-billion printing industry, webdesigners, smaller design firms, and others who have invested big time in the Mac platform and Adobe products...

mac15
Feb 14, 2003, 03:35 AM
Its a move for the better, I'm sure Apple themselves are pushing Adobe to do so, If they drop the 9 support then it will force pro's to bo X only, moving X into a even more even more widely accepted

Sure carbon is fast but its not as nice and Cocoa, I bet they'd cut the code in half if they used cocoa

Jaykay
Feb 14, 2003, 09:04 AM
yeah, id like to see a cocoa version of photoshop, i use 7 and its not really what i was hoping for in an osx version..

jefhatfield
Feb 15, 2003, 06:04 AM
not likely, unless adobe wants to lose their pro customers who are still, yes, still on os 9.x

Bear
Feb 15, 2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
not likely, unless adobe wants to lose their pro customers who are still, yes, still on os 9.x
By the time Photoshop 8 hits the streets, most if not all of the "pro" applications will have OS X versions.

What is your definition of "pro" customer anyway?

The problem I see on these boards is that every doom sayer just gets echoed by more and more people until things get out of proportion.

Among other things included under "Doom Sayer":
Apple (or whomever) will lose customers if they drop OS 9 support in the next version. Especially when the next version won't be for several months.
There is a LCD pixel issue.
The FP iMac has a fuzzy font problem.
etc

Maybe this wasn't the best thread to append this to, but this is where it is, so deal.

jefhatfield
Feb 15, 2003, 03:21 PM
i hope when it hits the streets, there will be the driver support

charboneau
Feb 19, 2003, 01:48 AM
You have to think that 8 is some time away. The move makes sense, by then the number of people still looking for a 9.x version will not even justify the development cost.