Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt W

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Essex, England.
I'm new to the Mac so please bear with me here...

I have an existing wireless network provided by a belkin wireless router, and connect my iBook to this network via the internal airport adaptor. I would like to be able to play music through my stereo speakers controlled by the iBook and understand that Airtunes may be able to do this.

Could anyone confirm that I can use Airtunes as a client to my existing network? I am reading about functionality such as repeater or even router and I really don't need all that - I just want the wireless speaker part.

Would be great if someone could confirm before I go out and buy :) Thanks.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Um...

So you want to buy an Express and add it as a client (to extend the range and make use of airtunes) to a Belkin network?

I don't BELIEVE this will work, Linksys routers are the only third-party wireless products I have heard that recognized an Express as a client.

Another question though...is your modem close to your speakers? You could just replace the belkin piece with an Express.

Matt W

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Essex, England.
Thanks for the reply. The router isn't close to the speakers.

To clarify, I'm not interested in extending the range. All I want to do is play music on some external speakers from my Mac without having a physical cable running from my Mac headphone socket to my speakers. I have a Belkin wireless network in place which my iBook can connect to fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.