PDA

View Full Version : ibook/moniter question

howard
Jan 27, 2003, 06:35 PM
been thinking about getting another moniter to use my ibook with but have a question...if i get a moniter with say 1600x1200 resolution, will i be able to display that with my ibook? or am i still limited to the 1024x768 resolution.

Plus how much do the s-video attachments cost...my ibook came with the vga one but not the s-video one.

RBMaraman
Jan 27, 2003, 06:57 PM
External monitors only mirror the desktop on the iBook and the maximum resolution is 1024 X 768.

I'm not sure about the cost of the S-Video adaptor, but I do know that it doesn't work with all the iBook models. Check the Apple Store Website to make sure the adaptor is compatible with your iBook.

vniow
Jan 27, 2003, 07:07 PM
The later model iBooks support monitor spanning through a hack (http://macparts.de/ibook) but only the later models, make sure yours is supported if you plan on going through with this.

BubbaTAC
Jan 27, 2003, 07:43 PM
also note that when you have spanning you are effectively allocating half of your vram to each monitor, whats that mean? it means that if you successfully use the hack, and plug in another monitor, Quartz extreme will turn off (not enough vram per monitor to support it) and things things will look generally crappy.

RBMaraman is right about mirroring, I'm sorry my friend, you are effectively limited to 1024 on your machine.

The S video adap. (which you could find online at the apple store as easily as asking anyone here) costs somewhere around $12-$14

sparkleytone
Jan 27, 2003, 07:52 PM
if you have an iBook 800, then the spanning hack will work just fine with Quartz Extreme enabled. I believe the minimum requirement coded into a pref for QE is 16MB. Two displays on an iBook 800 is 16MB for each. Should work just fine.

btw, even w/o QE, it doesnt 'look crappy'. in fact it looks no different at all except for a shadow under your mouse. big whoop. your video performance isn't anywhere near as good as it could be, but it looks the same.