View Full Version : iBook, MBP, or wait?

Mar 6, 2006, 07:24 PM
I'm in the market for an Apple laptop, finally making the switch from a PC. I've been lurking in the forums for a while now, but I still haven't quite got the feel for the model I should invest in.

Here's the intended use:

General web browsing
Word processing
Image importing and editing for an advanced amateur photographer (DSLR work)
Light design work in Illustrator and InDesign

My price ceiling absolutely maxes out at about $2300. I've been burned on hardware before, so I'm seriously considering the extended warranty - is this worth it?

So what should I look at? A PB or a MBP? Or would a basic iBook with increased RAM get the job done?

Thanks for the help.

Mar 6, 2006, 07:53 PM
While not doubting the PowerPC Macs for a second, I'd go for a Intel Mac when switching over from PC to Mac(which is what I did), which means it's either MBP or wait since you need a laptop.

Mar 6, 2006, 07:55 PM
i would wait...just in case. you never know if the new iBook will be just what you need for a much lower price. but like you said, your budget is 2300 so you could definitely get the MBP if you wanted to.

Mar 6, 2006, 08:05 PM
wait for the intel ibook. fits your needs and should be awesome.

Mar 6, 2006, 08:28 PM
So how about the Applecare extended warranty? Is that worth the price? Especially given that the first gen Intel MacBooks might have unforseen hardware bugs?

Mar 6, 2006, 08:43 PM
yeah i would get the warranty. it's definitely worth it and it makes you feel better too.

Mar 7, 2006, 02:42 AM
... Applecare ... Is that worth the price?

Purchase it like you would health insurance. Odds are in your favor that you will end up with a solid machine, but a Mac that needs repairs after the first year will cost you a nice amount (and laptops are more likely to fall into that category than their desktop cousins).