PDA

View Full Version : Handheld Market - no fun

MacRumors
Jul 19, 2001, 12:50 PM
MacNN quotes (http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=8176) Steve Jobs regarding Apple
possibly entering the Handheld market.

[i] "I'm not so sure that's the funnest place to be right
now." - due to how competetive that market is.

DJ Hoyt
Jul 19, 2001, 04:44 PM
My girlfriend threw that rumor on me on the possibility of Apple handhelds being released. It got me really excited. But waiting keynote after keynote I gave up. I went out and bought a Handspring Visor Deluxe. I am (or was) happy with it until I dropped it on soft carpet and the screen cracked rendering it unfixable. So now I'm in search of yet another handheld. I guess it's back to Handspring. Afterall, they have great Apple support. They link up fantastically. So maybe I'll just save up and get a Handspring Visor Prism. Pretty colors =)

arn
Jul 19, 2001, 06:35 PM
Yep - I've got a Palm Vx myself...

and I was a die-hard Newton fan (collected the whole set). The Newton 2100 is still the finest overall handheld (except for size). Despite the rumors - the handwriting recognition was remarkable... and just this year, I think, the 3rd party recognizers are coming close to par with it.

Palm for the meanwhile - until something exciting comes out...

arn

Thin Ice
Jul 19, 2001, 07:42 PM
At the risk of incurring the wrath of the Mac zealots (;)), there are mobile phones out there today with built in PDA's running Windows. As appliance makers seek digital convergence they are beating a path to Microsoft's door.

If the future is a digital hub then my phone/PDA should synch with it shouldn't it? ICQ me your phone number and it should show up on the phone (or it rings :)).

Would I dare raise the larger subject of the future of digital convergence (or divergence) as a whole? Can Apple compete against the Sony/M$ juggernaut when the blender only runs Windows? Is this why Steve is hesitant to make an Apple PDA?

For Mac Zealots; what colours do you think the new Apple PDA will be in?

Positivly Mac
Jul 30, 2001, 04:03 PM
Many mac rumors site, incuding mine, say that Apple is working on something called the iPad. I'm not sure if its true or not, but thats a pretty popular rumor.