PDA

View Full Version : Favourite all time ipod?

student_trap
Mar 7, 2006, 11:52 AM
Hey,
Was just wondering what the general consensus was over which gen of ipod is without a doubt the best in terms of design and dam-right droolability.

I think that it's got to be the 3G models, those sunken backlit buttons! Personally i just don't like the nano's (too thin), the mini's were much better, and have liked but never been too struck back by the 1st and 2nd gens (i'd love to own one though!). The new 5G's are growing on me but I've always liked the 4G's rounded edges.

i have...20gig with colour screen, 2 20gig 3G's and a shuffle.

also, i liked the black and white screens better than the colour ones, don't know why, i just prefer them!

Over to you guys.....

edesignuk
Mar 7, 2006, 11:54 AM
The first one. Because at the time there was nothing else like it, and everyone thought I was mad spending the money I did on the thing.

Hmmmm, wonder what they've all got 5 years on? Oh that's right, iPods :D

h?
Mar 7, 2006, 12:04 PM
My dad has the 1st, 2nd 3rd and 4th gens, my brother has the 5th gen, my sister has the nano, my mum has the shuffle and i have the 1st gen mini so i think i am well placed to comment. I would say the 3rd gen. That is because i do not personally like the firewire port on the first two and the design is great.

The 6th gen has the potential to top it by a considerable margin if it looks as aesthetically brilliant as the 3rd gen.

Rant over.

Ashapalan
Mar 7, 2006, 12:05 PM
It was the 3g ipod.

But i have to say that the 5g ipod has taken over. The screen is wonderfull and you and me know only to well that you look better when your thinner. ;)

KD7IWP
Mar 7, 2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah... I still miss my 3G, why do people have to steal?

runninmac
Mar 7, 2006, 12:59 PM
Of all the iPods I have tried (everyone but the 1st and 2nd Gen) I like the 4th Gen the best. The click wheel just seems the best. With the nano and 5G it just doesnt have the nice clicky feeling.

Edit: Since it appears no one is taking battery life into consideration then id go with the 3rd gen, just from all my friends ive heard the battery life sucks.

Jaffa Cake
Mar 7, 2006, 01:07 PM
I'm still loving my 3G. No need to swop it for a newer one just yet...

TEG
Mar 7, 2006, 01:24 PM
3G.

I'd like the 4G/5G controls better if you could just tap instead of click on the cardinal directions.

TEG

2nyRiggz
Mar 7, 2006, 01:24 PM
3Gen was nice but since i never owned(my friend had one) one i'm going with 4Gen.

Bless

Chaszmyr
Mar 7, 2006, 01:27 PM
I don't understand how anyone could not think one of the newest ones is best. Anyway, it's all about the nano.

iGary
Mar 7, 2006, 01:38 PM
I miss my 3G 15GB model.

EGT
Mar 7, 2006, 02:38 PM
The 3rd gen. iPod was great! :cool: I'd be sweet if it had the colour screen.

risc
Mar 7, 2006, 02:48 PM
The current 60 GB iPod 5G is the best iPod I've ever owned.

puckhead193
Mar 7, 2006, 02:54 PM
definitly the 3rd. The red lights look nice in the dark...

1rottenapple
Mar 7, 2006, 03:01 PM
There hasn't been a perfect one.

I loved my 2g 6gig mini that I gave for my mom cause of the battery life and the black and white screen let you not use the black light. But of course I ran out of space.

The 5g 30gig my current ipod, I have I love but the batttery life sorta sucks compared to the mini, and the screen of course is hard to see and I have to turn the backlight on and that eats the battery.

The 1 gig mini, well I love the physical size but the battery sucks (HARDCORE). At the time, the storage was enough for me and I love the green color.

The 3g 15 gig was my first ipod. At the time, I used like 10% of the storage and the battery was ****** but since it was my first ipod, I loved it.

tobefirst
Mar 7, 2006, 03:12 PM
I'm surprised that the 3Gs are so popular. I thought (and think) that it was a step in the wrong direction, especially in terms of usability and intuitiveness. Having the four buttons up top doesn't, I feel, make as much sense as having them either surround the wheel, or as a part of the wheel. Intuitively, it makes sense to press to the right of the wheel to go to the right (next song) and press to the left of the wheel to go back (previous song).

That's just my opinion, though.

My favorite? Hmmm...that's a tough one. I'm gonna go with the 2G. The original look with the touch scroll wheel.

jkelly888
Mar 7, 2006, 03:19 PM
my favorite ipod is my first ipod. my 5G ipod. i like it because my windows machine is a piece of *****. i want a Mac but i dun have enough money. anyway, the 5G ipod plays videos so i can watch videos from wherever with out it lagging like it does on my comp. so the battery life sucks. at schoo, i sit buy a power outlet in a few classes so i bring my charger. for the home, well, its the home. no problem there. in the car, i have a DC to AC converter so no problem again.

Jaffa Cake
Mar 7, 2006, 03:22 PM
I'm surprised that the 3Gs are so popular.Although the previous two generations had been pretty popular, I think it was with the 3G that the iPod really started to take off. I'd imagine that for many a 3G was their first iPod so people will tend to remember it fondly, even if the button arrangement is arguably less intuitive than the other models.

turbopants
Mar 7, 2006, 03:26 PM
My favorite is the 3G iPod 15gb. It's the only iPod I've ever had, and it still works very well. I liked that it came with a case, dock, bag, and remote. You were all set. Battery still lasts quite long. I'll probably wait until 7G to get a new one!

sunfast
Mar 20, 2006, 06:21 AM
3G. Adding the moving click on the wheel felt like a backward step. And the red buttons look sweet.

Won't be replacing mine unless it dies. And then I would probably just get a 2nd hand one.

lamina
Mar 20, 2006, 06:26 AM
I have owned every iPod, and I love the 3rd gen's funky backlit buttons.
The first-gen is really neat though, with the moving wheel. I loved it. Got ahold of a 10GB one for $50CAD from some idiot at school. Dissecting those things is always an eye-opener into how well Apple does things on the inside.. the battery is so thin.

I would have to say though, that my 5th gen is my favorite. It's so thin and if you ask me has the sweet spot as far as storage. 30GB keeps my library free of bullcrap, but has enough space for all the important stuff. Not to mention the amazing screen.

liketom
Mar 20, 2006, 06:31 AM
1st gen 5GB my first one , i bought it off ebay for 150

loved that thing -:D

makes me want to get another 1st gen

Chundles
Mar 20, 2006, 06:35 AM
I love the design of my 3G 15GB model. The lights are cool, when it's mounted in my inMotion speakers I don't have to push on anything to make it work. I have a 2G mini and it just feels like when I'm trying to turn the thing on I'm going to break the dock connector as it bends further and further back.

I just don't like the idea of moving parts, if they could make the 3G as thin and with as big a screen as the 5G it would be awesome.

My 3G's trackpad wheel is perfectly sensitive whereas my mini's one is jumpy.

exeterbohemian
Mar 20, 2006, 06:36 AM
3g was the first i ever owned and also the best. for the life of me i will never be as comfortable using the 'click wheel'. sunken backlit buttons were soooo much cooler. that said, i eventually caved in when i needed the extra space and battery life (my 3g gets about 45 mins).

Kernow
Mar 20, 2006, 06:42 AM
Like most people, I guess that my favourite is the first one that I owned - a 20GB 2G model.

It was built like a brick, but most people had not even heard of iPod and it always drew admiring glances when I used it on the tube. I wasn't such a fan of the 3G - I felt that the design was a step backwards from the simplicity of the first two generations - which is kind of borne out by the use of the single clickwheel now.

Although I now have a 60GB 5G, the 2G is still going strong. I tend to use it as a hard drive now, moving tracks between studios at college, but it shows no signs of giving up yet.

celebrian23
Mar 20, 2006, 07:14 AM
3G or 5G. I like them both a lot. I like how the 3G has the buttons right under the screen, while the 5G's just look so slick, and you can't deny that just having video power makes it more attractive.

mjstew33
Mar 20, 2006, 07:16 AM
iPod Photo 30GB. I'm not sure why, but I love it.

Cloudgazer
Mar 20, 2006, 07:22 AM
I love my iPod Photo,
but still think the first gen iPod looks the nicest.

The buttons positioned around the wheel made it look like a speaker.
The 1st gen is def the best looking.

They should have kept the design, but changed to a click wheel.

m-dogg
Mar 20, 2006, 09:34 AM
I'm surprised that the 3Gs are so popular. I thought (and think) that it was a step in the wrong direction, especially in terms of usability and intuitiveness. Having the four buttons up top doesn't, I feel, make as much sense as having them either surround the wheel, or as a part of the wheel. Intuitively, it makes sense to press to the right of the wheel to go to the right (next song) and press to the left of the wheel to go back (previous song).

That's just my opinion, though.

My favorite? Hmmm...that's a tough one. I'm gonna go with the 2G. The original look with the touch scroll wheel.

Use one for 30 seconds or so and it will feel completely natual & intuitive. And as a couple others have mentioned, I love the 'no moving parts' design of the 3G. Feels very futuristic, even today.

Nice to see all the love for the 3G design - It's my favorite as well!

Proud 3G 30GB owner!

Crikey
Mar 20, 2006, 11:04 AM
First generation, 5GB. Go baby!

Crikey

GimmeSlack12
Mar 20, 2006, 12:47 PM
I have to go with my First Generation 5gb with the physical Scroll whell.

Although I do like the 4G with the click wheel. Pretty sweet.

MacRumoron
Mar 20, 2006, 12:52 PM
my fav. design goes to 3rd gen iPod :)

i have the 1G 5GB and the 3G 20GB iPod :)

TheMasin9
Mar 20, 2006, 02:06 PM
if they could take the 3g looks and unroun the edges to put the bigger screen in there make a tap-sensitive?? scroll wheel backlit with red or somethign that would be super cool. i can see it now though, when and if this full video ipod comes out, you will have "customizable faceplates" allowing you to pick any button scheme from 1-5g.

~Shard~
Mar 20, 2006, 02:14 PM
3G iPod - the one I ought in the SoHo Store in NYC and still have to this day. Awesome iPod, I prefer its setup to that of the click wheel.

rockthecasbah
Mar 20, 2006, 02:48 PM
i am one of the few (it seems anyway) that like the 4th gen / Photo design. The 4th gen monochrome was and is the only iPod i've owned, but i just love the iPod Photo / iPod after eliminating the Monochromes. I really loved the color screen and size proportions, and still prefer the 4th Gen iPods with color screens to the 5th gen. The 4th Gen iPods with color screens are just beautiful and elegant, whereas The 5s just look out-of-proportion with the larger screen...

I think it really comes down to what was your first iPod, or the one that first mesmerized you. I know that after using the 4th before the 3rd gen in depthly, I prefer the 4ths. That being said however, had my first iPod been a 3rd, i would love them more most likely.

aricher
Mar 20, 2006, 04:24 PM
I still love my 1G 5 GB. Something about that tactile wheel. I always hoped Apple would come out with an DJiPod with that kind of wheel. Other than that my 5G 60 GB is my fave. The 3G - not so much - too hard to operate when buried in a pocket. I do like the light up buttons but the 5G is great. If i have it in a thin enough coast I can operate it from outside my jacket intuitively.

cycocelica
Mar 20, 2006, 05:31 PM
My 1st gen 10GB iPod. I have had it since they released the iPod and it has been wonderful. Plus it is what started the Apple rage.

zap2
Mar 20, 2006, 05:55 PM
i like teh 1st gen, that moving wheel is like no other!:rolleyes: 3rd is also nice,

my least favortite is 4G, :eek:

mrwildguitar
Mar 20, 2006, 06:01 PM
iPod Mini. Got it for my birthday last year, great player.

celebrian23
Mar 20, 2006, 06:32 PM
I've been looking to buy a 1G, but I can't seem to find one! :(

ipacmm
Mar 20, 2006, 06:33 PM
I really liked the 3G one and the 1gen ones...back when you could pull out an iPod and everyone would be like "wow" because back then no one had it...

digitdean
Mar 20, 2006, 06:53 PM
The very first one.
It was like a piece of jewelery. This beautiful, gleaming, novel $400 dollar MP3 player. Look at it! It's the size of a deck of cards! Look at it! It's got a 5 GB hard drive. Look at it! Music and files?
It was revolutionary.
I had to study physics the night it came out. I failed the test the next day miserably.
This new "iPod" was my focus that night.

Sammis89
Mar 20, 2006, 07:21 PM
I love the 1g. Something about it makes me happy. First, it was revolutionary, and I also love that there was a real connection, becase the wheel moved!!!

saturnino3
Mar 20, 2006, 07:45 PM
Without a doubt, the 1st Generation is the best one ever followed closely by the Nano in white.

The scroll wheel, the side buttons, the big box, the lime green iSkin...a thing of beauty

The sheer concept of "1,000 Songs in your palm" was amazing....Ahh...Its almost four years since I bought my first iPod. :D

MacRumorSkeptic
Mar 20, 2006, 08:14 PM
All you 3rd Gen lovers are wacked out of your skulls! Its by far the worst design, with all its poorly placed & unnecessary buttons! The only thing I'll give it, is the red backlighting looked cool. How can you beat the latest gen iPod or the Nano's with their highly intuitive click wheels?! Especially the black ones!

Chundles
Mar 20, 2006, 08:24 PM
All you 3rd Gen lovers are wacked out of your skulls! Its by far the worst design, with all its poorly placed & unnecessary buttons! The only thing I'll give it, is the red backlighting looked cool. How can you beat the latest gen iPod or the Nano's with their highly intuitive click wheels?! Especially the black ones!

I don't really like the click wheel. With the 3rd Gen there was very little that could possibly go wrong, the front face was a single sheet of plastic, nowhere for liquid to get into, no moving parts to bust, the buttons lit up when you touched them and it was all one colour. I really don't like the grey clickwheel - it just looks a bit naff. The 3G had that gorgeous clear coat over the white that evokes the "iceBook" G3 iBooks. The 4G and upwards were glossy white but it wasn't the same.

I do think the current white models look classier then the black ones. The black ones are dramatic but the white ones are the classic look.

G5Unit
Mar 20, 2006, 08:30 PM
1st gen 5 gb. Bought it when I was in 5th grade. The only other person who had one was some rich 9th grader. I payed 150 and my dad payed 150. I love it still cause it still works!

BWhaler
Mar 20, 2006, 11:52 PM
The mini, no question about it.

No nasty scratches. Looked great. Great size.

I own the 5g now, have babied it, and it has scratches all over the screen. Apple needs to get their act together.

bankshot
Mar 21, 2006, 12:54 AM
I've had a 3rd gen and a 4th gen photo (both out of commission -- one dead, one stolen). I preferred the clickwheel of the 4th gen because the "buttons" were much easier to find without looking. Very important when you're driving and want to skip a song.

The problem with the 3rd gen wasn't so much that my hand couldn't learn the button placement, but that if I was just a little bit off, I'd accidentally brush by the wrong one and activate it. You couldn't run your thumb along the buttons to find the right one because of the touch sensitivity. Poor interface design by the hardware folks.

With the clickwheel, the 4 controls are not only farther apart, but running your thumb along the control doesn't actually activate it (though it does scroll, which may or may not be desirable), which allows you to find the right one by touch if you like. Much, much better.

This actually reminds me very much of the OS X vs. Windows debate on menu placement. With the menu at the top in OS X, it's very easy to hit the menubar with the mouse -- just ram it up as far as you like and you're there. In Windows, it takes far more attention and control to hit the correct menubar, which could be anywhere on the screen. Very similar issue.

The one thing I didn't like about the 4th gen was the center button. I'd have preferred it remain touch sensitive like the 3rd gen. Mainly a personal preference, because I always felt like clicking it too much might wear out the physical mechanism. Especially when playing solitaire. ;) I suppose it probably wouldn't, as it's no different from a mouse button, and I've had those last for years and years. Regardless, I'll never know how long it would have lasted since it was stolen. :(

I do have to give the 3rd gen big style points for the red backlights on the buttons. They really should figure out how to work that into the little labels on the clickwheel. :cool:

Dalriada
Mar 21, 2006, 02:40 AM
Like most people, I guess that my favourite is the first one that I owned - a 20GB 2G model.
It was built like a brick....

Me too... my 2G iPod still in mint condition running full steam although the battery life is only a couple hours :rolleyes: (never found time to upgrade it) I'm now waiting for April 1st for some new goodies at which time my old iPod will get a new life & permanent residence in my car :D

- Dal

ezekielrage_99
Mar 21, 2006, 06:20 AM
3G. Adding the moving click on the wheel felt like a backward step. And the red buttons look sweet.

Won't be replacing mine unless it dies. And then I would probably just get a 2nd hand one.

I like the interface better on the 3G rather than the iPod video, seems more Apple like in design, clear cripst and functional.

In my books the 3G was the best and it really paved the way for the whole "iPod Generation".

thejadedmonkey
Mar 21, 2006, 07:26 AM
For me it's all about the 3rd generation! I never really liked the whole click wheel design, and I've always felt that once apple came up with the click wheel for the mini, they just stopped innovating.

The backlit buttons are just teh sex, and best of all, no moving parts. Plus, it's damn easy to open up and fix if something needs replacing.

My 2nd fav is the 1st generation since it's got a jogwheel. Heck yeah!

If I could design the 6th generation iPod, it would have a click wheel I suppose, with electric blue backlit buttons, have a form factor that's the same as the 1 and 2 generation ipods, but thinner, and a black and white screen.

alywa
Mar 21, 2006, 09:02 AM
Between my wife and I, we own a 1st gen mini (silver), a 40GB 4th Gen, and 2 shuffles (1GB and 512MB).

They are all still in everyday use. The mini is the permanent car ipod (Connected to the Alpine Deck), the 4G is the main house iPod, and the shuffles act as both of our on-the-go ipods.

From a design point, I think the mini was the best yet. Aluminum enclosure, first use of the click wheel, compact. Good battery life. Just a solid feeling machine.

From an overall standpoint, I think the current 5G is the best, though I don't own one. Great battery life (for music), thin, brilliant screen, and sharp video. Doesn't get better than that (thus far).

My brother in-law has a nano. It's cool, very small and svelt, but it just doesn't have the tactile quality / ruggedness as the original mini. I kind of wish Apple would be back the mini "mini classic?" in a color screen form, with a 10GB-ish HD. I think it would be a huge seller.

-alywa

huck500
Mar 21, 2006, 09:44 AM
30GB Third gen for me... it looks great, and it's just cool that there are no moving parts.

I won't be getting a new pod for quite a while since my music server is an older iMac, no USB 2.0 :(

Also, I have no need for a video player, or a color screen.

calculus
Mar 21, 2006, 12:46 PM
3G. I like it much more than the click wheel thing.

mox358
Mar 21, 2006, 01:49 PM
I've held onto my 1G 5GB iPod all these years, prefering it over the revised models until I actually got to sit down and play with a 5G for a while. I was amazed! It was the first iPod that suited me and felt like a suitable replacement for that first iPod that started all this. :D

I used a 3G (girlfriend's at the time) extensively and it just never felt right. I'm not a big fan of the buttons at the top. And I had some experience with a 4G (which I liked better than 3G) but it never really "clicked" for me (pun intended) until the 5G models.

Timepass
Mar 21, 2006, 02:07 PM
well the control interface on the G5 is just like the G4. The font of them is a little differnt

In terms of design interface and looks I am a fan of the G3 design. I have a g4 click wheel but so many times I go down to hit play after scrolling down to a song and brush the wheel some where and go down or up 1 or 2 songs and miss the one I want to play. That or I mess up the volume when I want to change songs.
I really like have the 4 buttoms be taps that where not on the wheel. I dont like them all being on the same thing

fatandlazy11
Mar 24, 2006, 02:44 PM
I'd have to say the shuffle or the 4G. the 4G seemed to be the perfection of the iPod design, to me. (also my first) I now own a shuffle, after dropping the 4G (insert high number here) times, most of them high. the hard drive went PBBBTTTHHH.... so i bought a shuffle..... although i probley should havw waited a month until the price went down... I would really like a 2nd gen or first (depending on weather they run on win or mac) but imj afraid that if i get one, ill leave my shuffle.... All in all, I suppose the shuffle is my favorite. battery life is great, it's small, and efficent. Who needs a screen anyway? I always listen to it in "play in order" mode ( NEVER in shuffle mode) So I've memorized whats coming up next. 512 megs is all i need.

princealfie
Mar 24, 2006, 03:01 PM
My favorite is the blue mini to be honest... only neg is that it's not as small as the nano but it's not too thin either. Wish they kept the colors and form factor!;)

wonga1127
Mar 25, 2006, 02:06 PM
iPod Mini 6GB. I like this one the best because it fits who I am. I'm not really a music person, I am only taking up about 1.5 GB on mine right now. I wouldn't need 60 GB or anything, and i never have time to watch videos.

I hate nanos. They are too small. If they took the mini and added a color screen to it, i'd be one happy camper.

student_trap
Mar 25, 2006, 02:36 PM
I hate nanos. They are too small. If they took the mini and added a color screen to it, i'd be one happy camper.

Amen

hookahco
Mar 25, 2006, 02:38 PM
My favorite iPod was the first 10gig (2nd gen) that came out. there was also a 20 gig version but i never bought it.. i love the way the touchweel worked and the button placement. also.. i love the fact that every time somebody saw it they said something like "what the hell is that thing are you stupid? who spends $300 on a music player?"

mannix87
Mar 27, 2006, 05:00 AM
the 3G was the first iPod i had. I thought I didnt need that much space so I sold it the moment the mini came out. I had to upgrade to the iPhoto because the 4GB of the mini wasnt enough. I upgraded last year a month before the 5G came out; which made me really miserable. Fortunately, somebody gave me the iPod w/ video as a x'mas gift and my opinion is that it's the best iPod ever; aesthetics, functionality and quality-wise. I still use the iPhoto on occasion, I gave the mini to my sister after i got the 5G.

donga
May 8, 2006, 12:15 AM
30GB Third gen for me... it looks great, and it's just cool that there are no moving parts.

I won't be getting a new pod for quite a while since my music server is an older iMac, no USB 2.0 :(

Also, I have no need for a video player, or a color screen.

isn't the 3g 30gb a hard drive based player? then it would have moving parts (the hard drive), right?

Xeem
May 8, 2006, 02:24 AM
Mine's broken, but I'll still vote for the Mini!

Peyton
May 8, 2006, 02:28 AM
can we add a poll on this? :o

student_trap
May 8, 2006, 04:05 AM
can we add a poll on this? :o

will do, but im not sure how to go about adding one?

Stridder44
May 8, 2006, 04:34 AM
My 2nd Gen 10GB iPod. The crazy thing still goes like I just bought even after being dropped a billion times, thrown out of a car, and recharged mercilessly. *knock on wood*

iMarley
May 8, 2006, 06:26 AM
My favorite iPod like many others would have to be my very first. The 4g 20gb Blue Screen (ma079ll). That thing was great. I used it every day for over a year. Then the 5g's came out and I sold it to a friend for $150. I miss it...:(

fishcalmer
May 8, 2006, 07:03 AM
3G for styling, i much prefer the top 4 backlit buttons to anything that has come since...just wished they made em with colour screens. They were also sturdy enough to cope with much travelling, i would've broken a nano by now :D . I've had the same 3G since the day the 30Gig's came out i couldn't recommend them more highly....especially now i have replaced the battery :p

Lollypop
May 8, 2006, 07:33 AM
First iPod was a silver mini, nog I have 30gig video ipod, prefer the latter, much bigger hdd, so no more memory stick + ipod for me.

jhorowitz
May 9, 2006, 10:45 AM
i choose the 5g video.

I don't really understand the nano; if I had it I would probably lose it in less than a week...its too tiny.

Doctor Q
May 9, 2006, 11:49 AM
By request of student_trap, this thread now has a poll.

cloudblood84
May 9, 2006, 12:27 PM
4G has great battery life, and for those who don't need a video player ( laptop owners ) it just makes more sense to have a smaller screen that doesn't drain battery