Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your favorite iPod generation or model?

• 1st gen. iPod (scrollwheel)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2nd gen. iPod (touchwheel)

• 3rd gen. iPod (touchwheel)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 4th gen. iPod (clickwheel), iPod Photo, U2 iPod, HP iPod

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • 5th gen. iPod (video enabled)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • iPod mini (various colors)

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • iPod shuffle (flash-based, no screen)

• iPod nano (flash-based)

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Hey,
Was just wondering what the general consensus was over which gen of ipod is without a doubt the best in terms of design and dam-right droolability.

I think that it's got to be the 3G models, those sunken backlit buttons! Personally i just don't like the nano's (too thin), the mini's were much better, and have liked but never been too struck back by the 1st and 2nd gens (i'd love to own one though!). The new 5G's are growing on me but I've always liked the 4G's rounded edges.

i have...20gig with colour screen, 2 20gig 3G's and a shuffle.

also, i liked the black and white screens better than the colour ones, don't know why, i just prefer them!

Over to you guys.....

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The first one. Because at the time there was nothing else like it, and everyone thought I was mad spending the money I did on the thing.

Hmmmm, wonder what they've all got 5 years on? Oh that's right, iPods :D

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Best iPod

My dad has the 1st, 2nd 3rd and 4th gens, my brother has the 5th gen, my sister has the nano, my mum has the shuffle and i have the 1st gen mini so i think i am well placed to comment. I would say the 3rd gen. That is because i do not personally like the firewire port on the first two and the design is great.

The 6th gen has the potential to top it by a considerable margin if it looks as aesthetically brilliant as the 3rd gen.

Rant over.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
It was the 3g ipod.

But i have to say that the 5g ipod has taken over. The screen is wonderfull and you and me know only to well that you look better when your thinner. ;)

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Of all the iPods I have tried (everyone but the 1st and 2nd Gen) I like the 4th Gen the best. The click wheel just seems the best. With the nano and 5G it just doesnt have the nice clicky feeling.

Edit: Since it appears no one is taking battery life into consideration then id go with the 3rd gen, just from all my friends ive heard the battery life sucks.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I don't understand how anyone could not think one of the newest ones is best. Anyway, it's all about the nano.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
The 3rd gen. iPod was great! :cool: I'd be sweet if it had the colour screen.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
There hasn't been a perfect one.

I loved my 2g 6gig mini that I gave for my mom cause of the battery life and the black and white screen let you not use the black light. But of course I ran out of space.

The 5g 30gig my current ipod, I have I love but the batttery life sorta sucks compared to the mini, and the screen of course is hard to see and I have to turn the backlight on and that eats the battery.

The 1 gig mini, well I love the physical size but the battery sucks (HARDCORE). At the time, the storage was enough for me and I love the green color.

The 3g 15 gig was my first ipod. At the time, I used like 10% of the storage and the battery was ****** but since it was my first ipod, I loved it.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm surprised that the 3Gs are so popular. I thought (and think) that it was a step in the wrong direction, especially in terms of usability and intuitiveness. Having the four buttons up top doesn't, I feel, make as much sense as having them either surround the wheel, or as a part of the wheel. Intuitively, it makes sense to press to the right of the wheel to go to the right (next song) and press to the left of the wheel to go back (previous song).

That's just my opinion, though.

My favorite? Hmmm...that's a tough one. I'm gonna go with the 2G. The original look with the touch scroll wheel.

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
my favorite ipod is my first ipod. my 5G ipod. i like it because my windows machine is a piece of Sh*t. i want a Mac but i dun have enough money. anyway, the 5G ipod plays videos so i can watch videos from wherever with out it lagging like it does on my comp. so the battery life sucks. at schoo, i sit buy a power outlet in a few classes so i bring my charger. for the home, well, its the home. no problem there. in the car, i have a DC to AC converter so no problem again.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
tobefirst said:
I'm surprised that the 3Gs are so popular.
Although the previous two generations had been pretty popular, I think it was with the 3G that the iPod really started to take off. I'd imagine that for many a 3G was their first iPod so people will tend to remember it fondly, even if the button arrangement is arguably less intuitive than the other models.

turbopants

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Chicago
My favorite is the 3G iPod 15gb. It's the only iPod I've ever had, and it still works very well. I liked that it came with a case, dock, bag, and remote. You were all set. Battery still lasts quite long. I'll probably wait until 7G to get a new one!

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
3G. Adding the moving click on the wheel felt like a backward step. And the red buttons look sweet.

Won't be replacing mine unless it dies. And then I would probably just get a 2nd hand one.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I have owned every iPod, and I love the 3rd gen's funky backlit buttons.
The first-gen is really neat though, with the moving wheel. I loved it. Got ahold of a 10GB one for $50CAD from some idiot at school. Dissecting those things is always an eye-opener into how well Apple does things on the inside.. the battery is so thin.

I would have to say though, that my 5th gen is my favorite. It's so thin and if you ask me has the sweet spot as far as storage. 30GB keeps my library free of bullcrap, but has enough space for all the important stuff. Not to mention the amazing screen.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I love the design of my 3G 15GB model. The lights are cool, when it's mounted in my inMotion speakers I don't have to push on anything to make it work. I have a 2G mini and it just feels like when I'm trying to turn the thing on I'm going to break the dock connector as it bends further and further back.

I just don't like the idea of moving parts, if they could make the 3G as thin and with as big a screen as the 5G it would be awesome.

My 3G's trackpad wheel is perfectly sensitive whereas my mini's one is jumpy.

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
3g was the first i ever owned and also the best. for the life of me i will never be as comfortable using the 'click wheel'. sunken backlit buttons were soooo much cooler. that said, i eventually caved in when i needed the extra space and battery life (my 3g gets about 45 mins).

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Like most people, I guess that my favourite is the first one that I owned - a 20GB 2G model.

It was built like a brick, but most people had not even heard of iPod and it always drew admiring glances when I used it on the tube. I wasn't such a fan of the 3G - I felt that the design was a step backwards from the simplicity of the first two generations - which is kind of borne out by the use of the single clickwheel now.

Although I now have a 60GB 5G, the 2G is still going strong. I tend to use it as a hard drive now, moving tracks between studios at college, but it shows no signs of giving up yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.