PDA

View Full Version : Battery Life Problems

vancity604
Mar 8, 2006, 12:16 AM
So i Recently bought a 5g black Ipod. Up here in the Great White North (Canada), Ipods go for about $379. I went to a store called futureshop, and they had no black 30g ipods left. However, I had the option of getting an Open Box one for $299. Plus i had gift cards so i ended up paying only 90:D. Now the Ipod looked like it was never taken out of the package, only the box was opended, so i decided to buy it. The only damage to it was a signifcant stratch on the upper left hand corner of the screen. I wasn't happy with it, because i sold my 4g click wheel, because it was too beat up, however it was only one scatrch (wow i cant spell stratch) and i had a "Zcover" on it. But the thing that pisses me off the most is the battery life. I usally get about 1.25 hours of playing time of my ipod, on a fully charged batter. (On my old Ipod 4g I could get a couple of days out of it, obvously not continously playing it but w/e). And, I only have the backscreen light to 2 seconds. Im wondering if this is because i charge it with my usb port in my computer, or simply if this is a defect. Ive heard from one of my friends that if u get the power adapter that came if the early models, if gives you more battery life. Thanks!

mad jew
Mar 8, 2006, 12:26 AM
The way USB works means that charging it on a computer can be quite hit and miss. When transferring files, the charging of the iPod generally won't keep up with the amount of energy exerted by said iPod. I've actually had fully charged iPods run out of juice in the middle of large transfers.

In other words, any sort of transfer to and from the iPod will sap some of the battery so unless you unplug it and it says it's fully charged, it may actually be a little flat.

All the same (I'm really struggling with the whole eloquence thing today, sorry :o ), I guess you could let it flatten and then plug it into the computer, not transfer any files, wait for it to stop charging and then flatten it again. This should re-calibrate the iPod's firmware with respect to how much charge the battery can actually hold.

If that doesn't help, then I guess you could try restoring the firmware using the latest version of iPod Software Updater (http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/). :)