Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Mi iPod Shuffle died a few weeks ago.:(
I went to the Apple Store, one from Mexico (I'm mexican), where they gave me an excellent service. I showed them the warranty and they agreed of changing it for a new one. They told me to wait 5 days, since thay had to make a diagnosis of the problem, or something like that.

Time passed, and finally they called me, saying that I could go for my new iPod. And this is when I got dissapointed. First, they only gave me the iPod alone, withouth the box or anything else (so this made me think this could be a used iPod) but it worked, so I agreed to accept it. Second, they told me that the warranty wouldn't be extend another year. And I didn't buy Applecare for the iPod, so I only have like 4 months remaining.

Does inthe USA is the same? Or is it only a problem here in Mexico?

TheDulcimer

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
Roco said:
Does inthe USA is the same? Or is it only a problem here in Mexico?

My ipod died and i signed up online to get a replacement, so then a box came to my door from UPS or DHL or one of those, and it was a box with a slot for an ipod. it said on it "DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ELSE IN THIS BOX EXCEPT YOUR IPOD OR YOU WILL NOT GET IT BACK." So they were obviously not going to replace it with just ANY new ipod in a sealed box.

Then a week or so later i got a box back with a different ipod, no scratches, but i could tell it was refurbished. And there was never any talk about a longer warrenty. So i think you did not get ripped off any more than someone in the USA like me would ;) .

-The Dulcimer-

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
As far as I know (from having many iPod replacements) if you have the limited or extended Applecare on any iPod - Apple will most of the time when there's a problem replace it with a still in plastic (at least for full size iPods) iPod, and then you get that, no box or anything.

It's not bad, if you don't like it - buy a new shuffle ;) :p.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
CanadaRAM said:
Yes, that is standard for any warranty. You don't get a renewed warranty period, jut the balance of the warranty you paid for.

I thought they usually gave you 90 days or the rest of the warranty, whichever is longer.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
doesn't seem that odd to me. if the harddrive of your computer fails under warranty, they don't reinstate the year/three-year warranty for that part. Just be glad they fixed it for free.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
As other have said, it is standard practice to replace units under warrantee with refurbs, so there is no factory packaging and all the other stuff - unless that was deemed replaceable as well.

You do not get an extension just because they replaced it. Your original purchase is what is covered, not the replacements. Apple is responsible for making sure that you have a functioning shuffle, free of manufacturing defects for one year from the date of purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.