Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

After G

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2003
California
So I've been having this problem for a while.

I close the lid on my iBook and put it to sleep. When I open the lid again to wake up the computer, sometimes the password dialog will not show up, and the screen will be on, but remain black. The password dialog does show up if I close the lid, and put the iBook to sleep again before rewaking it up. This is a little annoying though, so I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to fix this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
After G said:
So I've been having this problem for a while.

I close the lid on my iBook and put it to sleep. When I open the lid again to wake up the computer, sometimes the password dialog will not show up, and the screen will be on, but remain black. The password dialog does show up if I close the lid, and put the iBook to sleep again before rewaking it up. This is a little annoying though, so I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to fix this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reed switch failure

After G

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2003
California
Just for my own information, what is a reed switch? And what can I do about it? My iBook just went out of warranty so fixing it myself would be cool.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The reed switch is basically the on/off switch for your display when you close the lid. Generally a broken switch will mean that certain screen angles will give you screen action though. In other words, if you angle the screen to a certain point, it'll usually start working. Hopefully it's not the reed switch because it's a bit of a pain to replace and I'd recommend taking to a professional.

On the other hand, try the PMU reset and if that doesn't work, start up from the OSX CD/DVD and see if you get further. This is a good way of seeing whether it's a software or hardware issue. Hopefully it's software because that's usually pretty easily fixed. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.