PDA

View Full Version : Can the 5G iPod drive hi-res video to TV?

craig0ry
Mar 8, 2006, 09:55 PM
Here's the thing - I have a million movies ripped for my iPod - but what I really want to do is encode movies at a higher res and then play them back on the TV so they don't look like garbage - I could care less about actually playing them on the iPod... However, whenever I encode something at like 640x480, iTunes won't let me copy it to the iPod. Is there any kind of work around for this? I don't even know if the iPod could drive video at a hi-res to the tv, so if it can't, I guess I will have to live with it for now...

TheDulcimer
Mar 8, 2006, 10:04 PM
Here's the thing - I have a million movies ripped for my iPod - but what I really want to do is encode movies at a higher res and then play them back on the TV so they don't look like garbage - I could care less about actually playing them on the iPod... However, whenever I encode something at like 640x480, iTunes won't let me copy it to the iPod. Is there any kind of work around for this? I don't even know if the iPod could drive video at a hi-res to the tv, so if it can't, I guess I will have to live with it for now...

The answer lies within the format, if you use h.264 you cannot go above 320 (i think MAYBE there is a way aorund this, but the highest past is like 420x??? and it has to be crappy quality), but if you use MPEG-4 you can go up to 640x480, but i think the bitrate has to be lower than 1.5 mbps (which is twice the pixels of h.264)

Althought i must as, what are you using to play video on your tv from your ipod that its giving you "garbage"?

I used MPEG-4 at first, but it was just TOO big and long to copy to my ipod, and then after i started to think about it, i realized if you use MPEG-4 and not h.264 it will run the battery on your ipod down way faster cause the files are twice as big for the ipod to load.
That was enough to scare me into using h.264 100%, and in fact it looks EXACTLY the same as using MPEG-4 for me, but its half the file size. i love it.

-The Dulcimer-

craig0ry
Mar 8, 2006, 10:08 PM
Well they don't look like total garbage, but about VHS quality... I'm spoiled by DVDs and HD damnit! Come on april - bring me a real video iPod!

After reading around, I guess this is the max setting I can use...

480x368 at 1000kbps, audio 160kbps 48 khz

Kingsly
Mar 8, 2006, 10:10 PM
I watch H.264 movies and TV shows on my Infocus X1 projector on a 120" screen. IMO, the quality is better off the iPod than broadcast TV.

TheDulcimer
Mar 8, 2006, 10:20 PM
I watch H.264 movies and TV shows on my Infocus X1 projector on a 120" screen. IMO, the quality is better off the iPod than broadcast TV.

HAHA! well the TV my ipod plugs into is like 34", so i'm not quite THAT big, and i think the quality is amazing on most videos in H.264, i believe what it comes down to is the quality of the encoder/ computer /original video. I have found that (go figure) videos like spongebob off of the itunes store are very good quality compared to tv (dvd still kicks butt :( ), but i think that comes from the fact that apple has the latest and greatest computers to use, and they start with the best version there is.

-The Dulcimer-

Kingsly
Mar 8, 2006, 10:27 PM
...i think the quality is amazing on most videos in H.264, i believe what it comes down to is the quality of the encoder/ computer /original video...
I would have to agree with you.

Counterfit
Mar 9, 2006, 12:17 AM
I think you need to get your eyes checked, or move closer to the screen. :confused: