PDA

View Full Version : volume and media keys not working on Powerbook..

smpil
Mar 8, 2006, 10:01 PM
so.. just randomly a few days ago, the volume keys, brightness keys on my powerbook keyboard AND on my bluetooth keyboard stopped working.. its very weird, and I have no workaround.. My F11 and F12 keys (desktop view and multi window mode) still work.. the last thing I did was repair permissions.. anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Many thanks,
smpil :confused:

louiek
Mar 8, 2006, 10:10 PM
Is it anything to do with the "Use the f1-f12 keys" checkbox under "keyboard and mouse" in your system preferences?

CoMpX
Mar 8, 2006, 10:19 PM
Can you still use the keys on the Powerbook Keyboard or is the problem with that as well? In other words, is the problem only with the BT keyboard?

mad jew
Mar 8, 2006, 11:50 PM
If none of the above applies, then press COMMAND-F5 with the speakers on and listen for "Voice Over On" to be said.

The next step would be to make a new user account and see if the problems carry through. :)

smpil
Mar 9, 2006, 07:39 AM
hey,
yes CoMpX, this is happening on both my Powerbook keyboard AND my bluetooth keyboard..
louiek, no, that box is unchecked in sys preferences
mad jew.. tried a new user account.. same problem..

any other ideas??? :(

mad jew
Mar 9, 2006, 05:21 PM
So, it didn't react to COMMAND-F5 then? Do you have any hacks installed that change the theme or the keyboard shortcuts?

If the keys aren't reacting at all, then a PRAM reset (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238) may help. :)

smpil
Mar 9, 2006, 06:00 PM
hey mad jew,
no, nothing happens when I hit COMMAND+F5. I am using OS X 10.3.9.. does that make a difference..

Oh, and I've already tried a PRAM and UIC reset.. still nothing..

no, no hacks installed..

bizarre..