Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
So, my "better" headphones (the only closed ones I own) are pretty much dying now. I'm not sad, because they were $20 at least 8 years ago. I figure it's time to move up. So I'm looking for suggestions that meet these criteria:
  • Price: $50-60
  • Closed
  • foldable or compact
  • no batteries! (sorry quietcomfort fans)
I'll be using these mostly when going on trips (at least, when I'm not driving). So in a car, train, plane, etc., while in hotels, and sometimes while at home. I'll look at (almost) any brand, as long as it meets the price and I can test it out somewhere.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
I have some Maxell budget headphones. They're the large kind that covers the whole ear.

They fold closed
They're comfortable [Nicely padded]
They're noise cancelling
They sound pretty decent [For the price]
They're 24-35 bucks :eek: :D
And when the (2xAAA) batteries die, the music does not [Take that bose]

Think they're great value wise. While obviously they're not Shure e3 quality or what not, given the price, they're not bad at all. I bought mine at my local drug store [Rite Aid]. They're the Maxell HP/NC-II.
Here's the wal-mart link :eek:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3059753&dept=3944&path=0:3944:3964:133271:4480

Alasta

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
Counterfit said:
That just kills it right there.
Come on resident audiophiles, Sennheiser must make something in this price range! :D

Of course. The Sennheiser PX200 meets all of your criteria, and I can thoroughly recommend them. You should also consider the PMX200 if you prefer a neckband rather than a headband design, although the PMX200s are not foldable.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Check out some reviews on the Koss UR-40's. No they're not noise cancelling, but probably the best headphones for the price.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
are you open to IEMs? if so, i second the e2c...they're a bit more than your price range, but worth it. the etymotic er6i can also be found for about $85 shipped at buy.com every now and then.

the px200 are excellent as well.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
kugino said:
are you open to IEMs?
Improvised Electronic Munchies? :confused:
But no, I don't like anything going into my ear except Q-Tips. ;)

So far, it's between the Skullcandy Ti, Senn PX200, and Koss UR-40. Now I just need to find a place where I can try them out.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
Counterfit said:
Improvised Electronic Munchies? :confused:
But no, I don't like anything going into my ear except Q-Tips. ;)

So far, it's between the Skullcandy Ti, Senn PX200, and Koss UR-40. Now I just need to find a place where I can try them out.
of these i would opt for the px200...they sound much better than the others, although you might like the others for different reasons. i'll also throw in the koss ksc-35 and ksc-75. while not closed, they produce some amazing sound for their price...ugly, but they sound good.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
adk said:
The Grado SR-60s don't really fit most of your criteria (they're an open design, so you will get plenty of outside noise, and they're not too compact) but in the $60 range they're the best you can get. http://www.gradolabs.com.
i was going to recommend these as well, but like you say, they're open and leak a ton of sound. they're also not very portable because of the fat cord...but, they sound fantastic. as i like to say, they are the best value headphones period...so much sound for so little dough. :)

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Labi said:
These are the ones you should consider. The only bad thing is that they are a bit low in volume. The cord is very short which makes it perfect for Nano users with an armband, but it also has a longer extension cord. Make sure you choose the right fit from the three sizes supplied. http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...ProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=MDREX71SL

I like my Sony's, BUT...the build quality sucks on them. I'm on my second set, going back for my third, in 4 months. Luckily, I work at Circuit City and got the headphones for cheap, and the replacement plan. This next time around, I'm just going to upgrade. I'm sick and tired of these falling apart. They sound great though!

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
These Philips HS820 sound amazing, and are inexpensive... I bought my pair at Target for $20. Best headphones I've ever owned - better sounding than $50 Sony ones I purchased a while ago.

Labi

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2005
Jschultz said:
I like my Sony's, BUT...the build quality sucks on them. I'm on my second set, going back for my third, in 4 months. Luckily, I work at Circuit City and got the headphones for cheap, and the replacement plan. This next time around, I'm just going to upgrade. I'm sick and tired of these falling apart. They sound great though!
Wow, three sets in 4 months! You just gave me the creeps man. I'm gonna have to take extra care of my Sony's then. I have them for three months now and they're as good as new.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Another vote for the sound quality on the Sony EX-71's. Also another confirmation of the fragility of the damn things - I'm on my second set in 9 months. I don't use them a lot on the go, but if I did I'm sure I'd be up there on my third or fourth set as well. Just as well they're relatively cheap (about £25 in UK). I certainly wouldn't spend any more than that for playing compressed music in noisy places. As long as they're better than the Apple buds, that's good enough for me.

:)

Alasta

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
Marky_Mark said:
Another vote for the sound quality on the Sony EX-71's. Also another confirmation of the fragility of the damn things - I'm on my second set in 9 months. I don't use them a lot on the go, but if I did I'm sure I'd be up there on my third or fourth set as well.

This has certainly meen my experience with the EX-71s - mine lasted four months under reasonably heavy use. In contrast, my Sennheiser PX200s clearly have a much more durable cord, and much stronger anchors at the cable entry points.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Not that it's in the price range, but I just bought my sony's back because they're broke, and got a pair of e3c's. I'm sure you can find e2c's cheap, AND the build quality is 10x better, imho.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
i dont care if you dont want to buy quietcomfort headphones, im going to recommend them anyway. they are extreeeemly good. thats "extreeeemly: with extra E's.

:D

i have had the white version of the closed sony fontopia ear canal phones, and they were brilliant until the extension cord broke...now they are next to useless.

S

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Jschultz said:
Not that it's in the price range, but I just bought my sony's back because they're broke, and got a pair of e3c's. I'm sure you can find e2c's cheap, AND the build quality is 10x better, imho.
Except I DON'T LIKE THINGS STUCK IN MY EARS! :rolleyes:
I guess I can add the Grados to the list, but a big no on the Philips (not closed) and the Sony (3 sets in 4 months? No thanks), and a small no on the Koss KSC35/75's, because I already have some Sony's in that style for when I'm out and about.

I found a place listed on Sennheiser's dealer page for my state, but I'm pretty sure they don't sell the headphones (my uncle works for the company, and I've done some overhire stuff. The only Senn stuff the deal with are microphones ;)) Circuit city has the Senn PX100 and PX250's, Tweeter doesn't have the PX200's either. Grrr, I am NOT buying any of these blindly. :mad: It's a conspiracy I tell you

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Counterfit said:
Except I DON'T LIKE THINGS STUCK IN MY EARS! :rolleyes:

Jeez, sorry.

If you want closed ear, I like The Sennheiser stuff, and even the ones we have at Circuit City are decent. Have you given their HD series a look?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.