Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrizzlyHippo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
on the sofa
Does anyone know when the iBook is due to be updated, and when it was last updated etc.?

I am on the verge of buying a new laptop, but with Steve naming this the 'year of the laptop' (today's PM announcements aside) I want to see what the iBook line will look like after it's next update/revamp before lunging at the 12" Powerbook.

My laptop usage treads the line between professional and consumer, so I need to weigh up carefully the choice between the highend iBook and the lowend 12" Powerbook.

Any info or thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers,
Grizzly

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
November?

iirc it was November, although it might have been late October. I bought my 800 on day or release an have had it for 2 or 3 months. It is fantastic. I would imagine that there won't be an update for another 2 or 3 months, but the way Apple is going it might be sooner (built in Bluetooth and AE).

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
AE is not needed yet, so there's no reason for apple to stray from their regular upgrade path. Bluetooth can be added via 3rd-party external (and even internal, i've seen) for anyone who needs it. I would definitely not expect to see Apple upgrade the iBooks until maybe, the end of April, beginning of June? somewhere in there...

pnw

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I am thinking that they will put in a faster G3 for the iBooks maybe in April or May. I am not sure when the last iBook update was. Does anyone know?

GrizzlyHippo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
on the sofa
iBook original launch...

Thanks Guys,

What would be interesting would be to look at when and at what venue the original iBook was launched (anyone know?) - I remember watching the webcast and ordering a tangerine one that day.

All I'm wondering is if (and that's a big IF) the iBook is to have a major revamp to differentiate it better from the new 12" PB, surely Steve would want to have it as "one last thing..." at a MacExpo. With this being the 'year of the laptop' I would also have thought he would want to spin it to the press as he did the new 12" and 17" PB's.

Grizzly.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.