PDA

View Full Version : iBook update...

GrizzlyHippo
Jan 28, 2003, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know when the iBook is due to be updated, and when it was last updated etc.?

I am on the verge of buying a new laptop, but with Steve naming this the 'year of the laptop' (today's PM announcements aside) I want to see what the iBook line will look like after it's next update/revamp before lunging at the 12" Powerbook.

My laptop usage treads the line between professional and consumer, so I need to weigh up carefully the choice between the highend iBook and the lowend 12" Powerbook.

Any info or thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers,
Grizzly

robbieduncan
Jan 28, 2003, 12:04 PM
iirc it was November, although it might have been late October. I bought my 800 on day or release an have had it for 2 or 3 months. It is fantastic. I would imagine that there won't be an update for another 2 or 3 months, but the way Apple is going it might be sooner (built in Bluetooth and AE).

rainman::|:|
Jan 28, 2003, 02:36 PM
AE is not needed yet, so there's no reason for apple to stray from their regular upgrade path. Bluetooth can be added via 3rd-party external (and even internal, i've seen) for anyone who needs it. I would definitely not expect to see Apple upgrade the iBooks until maybe, the end of April, beginning of June? somewhere in there...

pnw

MacFan25
Jan 28, 2003, 08:46 PM
I am thinking that they will put in a faster G3 for the iBooks maybe in April or May. I am not sure when the last iBook update was. Does anyone know?

GrizzlyHippo
Jan 29, 2003, 01:35 AM
Thanks Guys,

What would be interesting would be to look at when and at what venue the original iBook was launched (anyone know?) - I remember watching the webcast and ordering a tangerine one that day.

All I'm wondering is if (and that's a big IF) the iBook is to have a major revamp to differentiate it better from the new 12" PB, surely Steve would want to have it as "one last thing..." at a MacExpo. With this being the 'year of the laptop' I would also have thought he would want to spin it to the press as he did the new 12" and 17" PB's.

Grizzly.:confused: