Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I'll be buying a PowerBook in a few months and am wondering what your thoughts are on the 12" vs. the 15":

- Obviously, the 15" has to be updated with Airport X, aluminum, etc in the relatively near future, right? When do you think this will happen?

- Do you think we'll ever see DVI in the 12"? If so, when?

It seems to me that Apple might be holding off on releasing new 15" PB until it can milk all the sales it can out of the 12" and 17" models, which both have their limitations (namely, lack of compatibility with Apple displays and prohibitive cose, respectively). How long can they play this game?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Hey Cleo, good to see you around :D

The other thing you might note is that the bus and memory on the 17" and 12" is faster than the 15". I'd love to see the specs and results on speed tests to see how much difference this makes. DDR SDRAM vs. regular SDRAM.

Also Bluetooth is built on the 12" and 17" and you need an adapter for the 15" and the 15" isn't Airport Extreme ready.

So I think you're correct in expecting an update to the 15" sometime in the future.

Check out the tech specs.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html

You might want to talk to b2tm as well, before you buy.

Good luck,

D

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
bus

The FSB on the 12" is 133, same as the 15" Ti. It's not there in the tech specs, at least nowhere I can see. The only place I had seen the bus speeds of the new 'books was on the screen shots people took of the System Profiler at MWSF.

Natron

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2002
I'm having the same thoughts. I think Apple will update the 15" PowerBooks to meet the new standards currently in the 12" and 17" screens. I currently use a 15" TiBook 550Mhz, and find this screen size just right for a laptop. The 17" seems a little big, but I will reserve judgement until I actually see one in person. I use a lot of graphics applications (Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Final Cut Pro) and find the 15" to be just right for being able to use as my main computer, as well as on the go.

If I'm not mistaken, the 17" PowerBook does work with Apple displays, with the DVI->ADC adapter. The 15" PowerBook will work with the adapter as well. It doesn't look as if the 12" will work with the LCD displays, and I really don't expect them to.

-Natron

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
I think that the 15" powerbook will be in the last set of updates in this series (starting with MWSF).

MWSF - powerbooks, APx, keynote, iLife
Today - powermacs, displays
Feb 11 - iMac, iPod
March 11 - 15" Powerbook, iBook

This time frame is based a bit on what I've read on various sites, some guessing and basically I don't think that they'll give buyers of the 17" and 12" powerbook a chance to cancell their order for a 15". Therefore, they'll wait until most are shipped before releasing the 15".

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Is there any way to make the 12" span to an Apple LCD? I am about to complete our (my fiance's and mine) switcher setup. She got a Dual 867 and I want to get her the new 20" Widescreen (I've been waiting on a 19" for awhile) to be her CAD display, but my first Mac is a new 12" PowerBook Superdrive. I would hate to have to use my CRT from the book while the 20" just sits on the drafting table...

Edit- I also got a Base Station, if I can't use the Cinema directly, can I access the tower's desktop over the network?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.