PDA

View Full Version : Help, im taking a trip to Italy...

HC Penniwicket
Mar 9, 2006, 08:39 PM
...and will die if i can't recharge my ipod. Do i need to buy a special adapter to recharge my ipod over there?

jkelly888
Mar 9, 2006, 08:40 PM
...and will die if i can't recharge my ipod. Do i need to buy a special adapter to recharge my ipod over there?
you need the world adapter set from apple. so yes, you need a special adapter

idea_hamster
Mar 9, 2006, 08:56 PM
You can find the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6194003/wo/dj0xHQyoNDNH2c2AlPV8iXnLhkR/12.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.0.3) at any Apple store or at most locations that are authorized iPod sellers, like Circuit City or whatever. The price will be $39 where ever you go.

The alternative is to get a cheap adapter set from a travel or gadget store. The problem with those is that you may not be able to plug the iPod's power block into it, since some adapter plugs have a collar or lip that runs around the input socket. You can get around this by bringing a cheap extension cord that has a regular-shaped plug. Of course, the belt-and-suspenders person would want to make sure that this cord is rated for 220 volts (Europe and much of the world) rather than just 110 volts (US).

How much do you save? Probably not enough. FWIW, i've done it both ways and I think the $39 kit is probably a good buy.

Have fun!

Synapple
Mar 10, 2006, 05:22 PM
The alternative is to get a cheap adapter set from a travel or gadget store. The problem with those is that you may not be able to plug the iPod's power block into it, since some adapter plugs have a collar or lip that runs around the input socket. You can get around this by bringing a cheap extension cord that has a regular-shaped plug. Of course, the belt-and-suspenders person would want to make sure that this cord is rated for 220 volts (Europe and much of the world) rather than just 110 volts (US).

Honestly, i don't think you'd ever run into this problem... you can find all sorts of adapters in most places you'll ever visit in Italy.
Any shapes, any colors, fitting and non-fitting.
Just go to an electronics store and buy a cheap one (€ 2 maximum).
Even better: buy it at the airport.

No worries, really.

Marky_Mark
Mar 10, 2006, 06:03 PM
iPod 5G - 30GB - Black, iPod Nano - 4GB - White, iPod Shuffle - 1GB, iPod Mini 1G - 4GB - Blue, iPod 3G - 15GB
(They know I have this thing for Apple and I keep getting iPods as presents! I just want a Mac Book Pro!)

I wish people would keep buying me iPods. Oh to have a life so tough ;)

Just a little gentle joshing :)

weg
Mar 10, 2006, 07:02 PM
you need the world adapter set from apple. so yes, you need a special adapter
Will that actually work for different Apple products, or do you have to buy an adapter kit for your iPod, a different one for your Powerbook, another one for your iBook and so on? In that case, the cheap adapter that you get at the airport is really the better solution (that's what I'm using).

jkelly888
Mar 10, 2006, 08:02 PM
Will that actually work for different Apple products, or do you have to buy an adapter kit for your iPod, a different one for your Powerbook, another one for your iBook and so on? In that case, the cheap adapter that you get at the airport is really the better solution (that's what I'm using).
i don't have any other apple products :eek::rolleyes: but i'm almost 100% sure that the world adapter kit will work with other apple computers

gauchogolfer
Mar 13, 2006, 10:24 AM
I'm certain they will work with both iPod and Powerbook/iBook power supplies, since they just replace the 2 flat pins in the adaptor, with the appropriate (for Italy, for example) 2 round pins. Having said that, I'm using a 2 Euro US->European Union adaptor that is rated for both 110 and 220 Volts, and have no problems. If you have the $39 laying around, and have to have a white adaptor, go for the Apple solution. Otherwise, you can find the appropriate adaptor at any larger store in Italy (Carrefour, etc.). Hope this helps.

Cheers

SpaceMagic
Mar 13, 2006, 12:12 PM
What's with all this world adapter rubbish. Just buy a US -> EU adapter at the airport. Then plug in your US powerbrick into the EU adapter and bob's your uncle, it works.

Moria
Mar 13, 2006, 12:22 PM
What's with all this world adapter rubbish. Just buy a US -> EU adapter at the airport. Then plug in your US powerbrick into the EU adapter and bob's your uncle, it works.

Thirded (Someone else already said it)...

No point in buying the official Apple one for $30 more, get a cheapy one at the airport :)