Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I turned on the computer this morning to see new Powermacs with increased speed and lower prices and was a bit shocked to see the low-end at $1499, but then I saw that it was only a single 1Ghz and the awe went away.

It seems like the previous dual-867s were a better deal performance wise (albeit without FW800 and AE) seeing how OSX handles duals pretty well, why not make the low-end dual 1Ghz?
I mean, if they can take that kind of a price hit on the dual 1.25, why not on the 1ghz?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I noticed this too, i think it's probably so that when they go to the 970's, the switch back to a single won't be so extreme. I mean, they'll probably still keep a high-end dual 970, but there won't quite the need for it in all the systems...

pnw

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I thought they would keep with the duals, and was still hoping for the price reductions. :(

But dropping the duals on the low-end still sucks, even with the price decrease.

The LCDs are nice, real darn close to the price of a quality 19/20" CRT for the 17" LCD. :)

But of course if they would have kept the 15" LCD and dropped the price of the low-end powermac a tad more - that price point may have stolen sales from the iMacs. Even with a single processor. ;)

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by paulwhannel
I noticed this too, i think it's probably so that when they go to the 970's, the switch back to a single won't be so extreme. I mean, they'll probably still keep a high-end dual 970, but there won't quite the need for it in all the systems...

You really think it's so they can slowly get us used to single chips for the PPC970? I hope not... I don't know how much the 970 chips cost, but I think Apple has a good marketing strategy by claiming that ALL their PowerMacs are dual processor. It has a non-consumer ring to it, dont you think?;)

Anyways, I'm also really miffed that they didn't have a dual 1Ghz in the low end. But, hey, MacMall is now selling the dual 867's for the same price as the single 1Ghz!

All of this doesen't affect me much, since I'll be looking to get a new PowerMac this September. Hopefully by then, they'll either have the PPC970 in the line-up, or a reeeeeally kick-ass G4 at dual 1.67Ghz. Time will tell...

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I think the duals were only an answer to people who thought Apple couldn't keep up with technology. Putting two chips in a machine makes people think they're getting double the power. I know everyone says that duals are great, but I've never bought into the "2 G4 processors are better than 1" mindframe.

From my understanding, the 970 isn't going to be cheap. I know it's going to cost more than the current G4's. So, I have to agree with Paul on this one. Apple's fasing out the dual systems. Dual 970's are going to be too expensive, so when the chip comes out, we'll only be seeing single processor systems.

Telomar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2002
I rather expect it's two fold. First allows them to offer a solution at a lower price point, which a lot of people have been clamouring for. I'm not entirely sure they shouldn't have gone $100 lower but I'm not looking at their books so can't make that call.

The second major reason I see is it encourages people to upgrade, which equals better margins and better revenues for Apple.

Edit: On a side note you will defnitely see PPC 970s in multi CPU configurations and I would be very surprised to see the chips themselves come in at significantly higher costs than current G4s.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
I have no problem with it, I think that its good apple are providing cheaper models, anyone who isn't happy with a 1ghz machine is spoiled . I know if I had one, I'd be loving it

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
some good posts, and agree with a lot of it but i too have never bought into the dualies and have allways thought as this was a way for apple to make up for what is wasnt getting from motorola. This was really true of the early stuff were the 2nd cpu was doing nothing. then came osx which was made to use both cpus to again help apple with motorola (SOFTWARE TO THE RESCUE OF HARDWARE) and this has been great for all of apples native osx stuff and those few programs outthere that know how to use it. But for a program that doesnt, say Unreal Tournament that 2nd cpu wasnt doing crap unless you were doing something in the background. I know -----you use your mac for gaming! and all the artist types and photo users are crying! BOO----- HOOO---- to which I say your dam right and everything else ! anyways 90 per cent of mac apps dont use that dam 2nd cpu and it cost more for apple to put in 2 then 1. So here we go we have a faster single cpu which will run 90 % of the stuff out there faster. And like paul says hopefully they are preping the line for the 970 which most of us hope will show itself before christmas.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Single vs. Dual CPU

Some people do one thing at a time, so a Dual CPU system won't help them much. It will help a little as the OS will be able to run some stuff on both CPUs.

Although anyone who plays MP3s while running one other application is already able to take more advantage of dual CPUs.

What about those running iCal and Mail in the background while playing MP3s. You're starting to add more things for a second CPU to do even if the application you're running can't take advantage of more than 1 CPU.

Add iChat and other instant messengering type programs. This makes even more things active in the background.

I think there is a lot of evidence that points to most people benefiting from a dual CPU system. However, I will agree that it takes a real power user to be able to get much advantage of more than 2 CPUs.

Having said all that, when Apple does release a 4 CPU system, I will see how what I do in Photoshop performs on that system. I don't expect this to happen until sometime after Apple starts using IBM 970 chips in the Power Macs. Although with 4 CPUs I can see watching a DVD on one screen and working with photoshop on the other screen.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Bear is a perfect example of someone who benefits from a dualie. even now my single 800 doesnt do bad with multiple stuff but when i pop in medal of honor or Return to Castle Wolfenstein or say NASCAR 2002 thats when i better make sure everything is off and still have to have settings turned down to about medium if i want to enjoy the fun. This is why for someone like me its all about cpu speed and graphics card but if apple ever release's a screamer g4in the imac or a 970 in the powermac then my needs will be met. signed

800 g4 tower
geforce3
1 gig mem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.