PDA

View Full Version : Optimal iTrip Reception

Alasta
Mar 10, 2006, 06:01 PM
I'm wondering if an iTrip user could advise me of whether the device works more effectively with the car aerial raised or lowered. The reason for my question is that I have just bought a second hand vehicle and the aerial, which is fixed on the front right side of the roof (the right hand side being the driver's side in New Zealand), is jammed in the lowered position. I'm wondering whether I should budget the cost of a new aerial when I decide whether to buy an iTrip.

I figure that having the aerial lowered might affect the receiver's ability to pick up the iTrip signal but, on the other hand, it may lessen interference from other FM broadcasts. Any thoughts, anyone?

mannix87
Mar 10, 2006, 11:16 PM
I figure that having the aerial lowered might affect the receiver's ability to pick up the iTrip signal but, on the other hand, it may lessen interference from other FM broadcasts. Any thoughts, anyone?

it should lessen interference from other FM broadcasts. One thing I didnt like about the iTrip was the weak signal it gave, (3 to 4 feet proximity to the receiver for max clarity) so by depriving other signals/noise from an easier time to reach your receiver, you're helping out you iTrip.

Alasta
Mar 11, 2006, 04:40 AM
it should lessen interference from other FM broadcasts. One thing I didnt like about the iTrip was the weak signal it gave, (3 to 4 feet proximity to the receiver for max clarity) so by depriving other signals/noise from an easier time to reach your receiver, you're helping out you iTrip.

Thanks for that. The reviews on iLounge.com seem to suggest that the iTrip Auto provides much better clarity than the portable dock-connecting iTrip, so I think I'll go with that.

matthewr
Mar 11, 2006, 09:02 AM
in my subaru when using iTrip - it definitely helps by reducing interference from radio stations (I live near Toronto, so most channels have at least some interference), but it can still pick up the signal from the iTrip. I wouldn't pay to repair the antenna. FWIW, over christmas, I used one of the Monster Cable transmitters, and found it to work even better than the iTrip.