Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I just purchased some music videos from iTMS, and would like to listen to them on my non-video iPod. iTunes won't let me copy the video files onto my iPod, and QT Pro won't let me extract the audio track (the Extract button is greyed out). How can I copy the audio track to my iPod so that I can listen to it?

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
neocell said:
Would Handbrake do it? (I've never used it, but that would be the first place I'd try, to get rid of the DRM)

No that couldn't be done in handbrake.

I would try adding the video (if you can) to iMovie then just exporting the audio. Or you might be able to use iSquint to get rid of the DRM and then export the audio.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
killuminati said:
No that couldn't be done in handbrake.

I would try adding the video (if you can) to iMovie then just exporting the audio. Or you might be able to use iSquint to get rid of the DRM and then export the audio.
Sorry my bad

How 'bout this one

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
neocell said:
Sorry my bad

How 'bout this one

Doesn't work, "failed to open this movie file".

killuminati said:
I would try adding the video (if you can) to iMovie then just exporting the audio.

"The file can't be imported; QuickTime couldn't parse it".

I'll give iSquint a go, but it could take a while because my broadband is down :(

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I haven't tried Wiretap yet, but I just tried to copy the videos to a CD and it wouldn't let me! "Burning is disabled for this track". What on earth's going on? :eek:

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
Nermal said:
I haven't tried Wiretap yet, but I just tried to copy the videos to a CD and it wouldn't let me! "Burning is disabled for this track". What on earth's going on? :eek:

might it have something to do with the fact that these were purchased videos from the itunes music store? i imagine they have all sorts of protocols in place designed to prevent people from 'tampering' with protected files. which is why it doesn't surprise me at all that quicktime was unable to do it.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
You could maybe try this one but it seems that it could be a bit more complicated than wiretap, but it's free. You'll need audio recording software as well (don't know what mac apps can actually record audio besides QT)

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm amazed at how difficult this is. Surely I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to put iTunes-purchased music onto an iPod!

I still haven't tried WireTap as it'll take half an hour to download. I'll wait until my broadband's back up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.