Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArchMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
New York City
To Whom It May Concern:

I am looking for someone who know macintosh networking well. My office has a total of 7 macs on our network. We are located in New York City.

I would like someone local to come and take a look at our network to solve any problems and/or suggest upgrades.

Any one interested should send an e-mail or reply to this thread

Thank you

Sincerely,

John Bedard

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
What are you trying to do? I could certainly help you via email. I would also be willing to give you a second opinion on any advice you may get. Depending on what you want to do, and if you want to connect other machines to your network, share an internet connection, it does not sound like you need anything difficult.

Background on me, I keep a class B network connected to each other. That would be about 65000 ip addresses, of course we are not using all of them.

Budget info would be good, at least a ball park, order of magnitude type thing. Are we talking a few hundred dollars, or a couple of thousand dollars. I would consider a Dell 5224 24 port managed 10/100/1000 switch. It is around $2199 and comes with a 3 year NBD support replacement policy which can be extended to 5 years for $50. It would easily keep your network running well for those 5 years. Another option would be a Cisco 2950. For under a $1000, you could get a 24 port 10/100 switch. I believe they even have an option for a builtin router. This would give you a few more options for security and management, without having to purchase a separate router.

Got to go now, let me know if I can help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.