PDA

View Full Version : Can I stick my mac mini's ram in my iBook?

sk1985
Mar 11, 2006, 08:36 PM
I currently have a rev.a Mac mini with 256 ram (I rarely use the computer now that I have my iBook). My iBook is a 1.33 GHz 12 inch iBook with 512 megs of ram. Since certain aspects of the mini and the iBook are similar is it possible to take the mini's ram and stick it in my iBook? Also am I able to take the mini's hard drive (80 gigs) and switch it with my iBooks hard drive? Obviously I'm going to reformat each drive.

Shamus
Mar 11, 2006, 10:37 PM
The Mini's RAM is soldered onto the motherboard. It has one expansion slot for inserting other RAM modules. iBooks also have one expansion slot, which would be empty in your iBook. Your iBook has 512MB soledered onto the MB. If you want to expand the RAM of your iBook or Mac Mini, another RAM module will need to be purchased. Hope this helps :).

mklos
Mar 11, 2006, 10:38 PM
Even if it wasn't soldered onto the logicboard of the Mac Mini you couldn't use it anyways as the Mac Mini uses DDR DIMMs and the iBook uses DDR SODIMMs.

sk1985
Mar 12, 2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys. I never bothered to check if my mini's ram was soldered in. I though the iBook's ram was soldered in because it was a laptop that was intended to be moved around. I always thought the mini's ram was just placed into it's slot because it was a desktop.

jeremy.king
Mar 12, 2006, 02:15 PM
Thanks guys. I never bothered to check if my mini's ram was soldered in. I though the iBook's ram was soldered in because it was a laptop that was intended to be moved around. I always thought the mini's ram was just placed into it's slot because it was a desktop.

The mini's ram is NOT soldered on.

However, you will have a pretty difficult time trying to fit a DIMM from your rev A mini into the iBook SODIMM slot. Only the newest intel mini's use SODIMMs.

CoMpX
Mar 12, 2006, 02:17 PM
I currently have a rev.a Mac mini with 256 ram (I rarely use the computer now that I have my iBook). My iBook is a 1.33 GHz 12 inch iBook with 512 megs of ram. Since certain aspects of the mini and the iBook are similar is it possible to take the mini's ram and stick it in my iBook? Also am I able to take the mini's hard drive (80 gigs) and switch it with my iBooks hard drive? Obviously I'm going to reformat each drive.

Long story short, no you cannot exchange RAM. If I remember correctly though, the hard drives are swappable. I'm about 95% sure that they are. Can anyone confirm this?

sk1985
Mar 12, 2006, 04:41 PM
Long story short, no you cannot exchange RAM. If I remember correctly though, the hard drives are swappable. I'm about 95% sure that they are. Can anyone confirm this?
If thats the case I'm totally swapping hard drives with the mini and putting my iBook's HD in the mini. Then, I'll give my Sister the mini with the 40 gig drive (she only needs the computer to type papers) and I'll take it's 80 gig drive. I need the extra disk space so everything should work out.

plinkoman
Mar 12, 2006, 10:30 PM
yea, they both use just standard ATA 2.5in. drives; they are swappable. ;)

DannySmurf
Mar 13, 2006, 03:12 PM
If thats the case I'm totally swapping hard drives with the mini and putting my iBook's HD in the mini. Then, I'll give my Sister the mini with the 40 gig drive (she only needs the computer to type papers) and I'll take it's 80 gig drive. I need the extra disk space so everything should work out.

That's nice in theory, but it's quite an ordeal to get the hard drive out of an iBook. You basically have to take the entire computer apart to get at it. So you might want to consider paying someone else to do the work for you, unless you're comfortable pulling an entire laptop apart.