PDA

View Full Version : iMac G3 - What do the power light colours mean?

tomacintosh
Mar 12, 2006, 06:23 AM
When I turn my 600mhz Graphite on the power light is white and stays white, I get the chime but the screen doesn't come on, but there is power to the keyboard and mouse. The machine doesn't have a CD Drive connected yet because I'm waiting for the connector. It has a hard drive plugged in but it doesn't have anything installed on it.

GimmeSlack12
Mar 12, 2006, 07:12 AM
It's an iMac, what do you mean there is no CD-ROM? Or is the internal one broken.

If there is nothing on the hard drive then nothing will happen. What are you asking exactly? The colors mean the computer is on basically, and the light will fade on and off when the machine is asleep.

Until you install something, nothing will happen.

tomacintosh
Mar 12, 2006, 11:22 AM
Yeah, i have a cdrw in it but it isnt hooked up because i'm waiting for the little adaptor board. What I mean is the iMac Power Button light comes on and is white, whereas in pics I've seen the Power Button is Green. Does is only turn Green once the system has booted?

So you reckon the screen won't bother coming on if there's nothing installed on the hard drive?

StealthRider
Mar 12, 2006, 11:34 AM
Newer iMacs, 500MHz+, only had a white LED. If it's on and steady, the machine is on.

Johnny Rico
Mar 12, 2006, 12:03 PM
If there's nothing on the hard drive you'll get a file folder/question mark icon indicating your machine can't locate system files. A completely dark screen is probably something else, like the PAVB board or even crt.

tomacintosh
Mar 12, 2006, 12:08 PM
Ahh that's what I thought should happen. Would the lack of a cd drive connected cause the screen to not come on? I've just replaced the PAV board because the old one was totally dead, before the machine did nothing, but now it at least makes the apple chime and the power light comes on, just nothing on the screen. It makes an noise intially like the sound a monitor makes when you switch it on, just it then makes the noise a monitor makes when you switch it off straight after!

tomacintosh
Mar 13, 2006, 12:23 PM
Anyone know? (answer to my last post)

dethbunny
Mar 13, 2006, 01:14 PM
May also be a firmware glitch. Plug an enternal (VGA-style) monitor in to the iMac's back connector and see if you get a display when the machine is powered on. If that works, I'd suggest re-doing the iMac Firmware 4.1.9 updater.

And why don't you have the optical drive connected? Are you building this iMac from parts, or what?