PDA

View Full Version : wow... i just timed the boot time of my G4...

sam10685
Mar 12, 2006, 02:19 PM
i have a Macmini G4 and a powerbook G4 and i though the boot-times were really fast-- because they are comparred to the windos PC i finally ditched. well, i just timed the mac mini for myself and it clocked in at about 1 minute both times. (i did it twice.) i thought it was fast but is the Intel based macs really about 30 seconds faster? i've seen the timing reviews but i've always just said "meh... my G4 is pretty fast already..." is the Intel really that much faster? maybe i will need to pick one up...

calculus
Mar 12, 2006, 02:30 PM
Just think what you could do with those extra thirty seconds!

Over Achiever
Mar 12, 2006, 02:38 PM
Don't forget newer, cleaner machines will boot faster than machines that have been used quite a bit =)

mkrishnan
Mar 12, 2006, 02:46 PM
Just think what you could do with those extra thirty seconds!

Yes, over the course of a year...this will give you...almost six minutes of your life back! :eek: ;) :D

GimmeSlack12
Mar 12, 2006, 02:47 PM
Don't forget newer, cleaner machines will boot faster than machines that have been used quite a bit =)
Really? Why?
If it is true I would only image a second or two difference.

Less software being booted at startup will increase the startup time. But not just the fact that they are newer makes much of a difference.

Those Intel Macs do boot a lot faster than our PowerPC's.

chaos86
Mar 12, 2006, 03:00 PM
Really? Why?
If it is true I would only image a second or two difference.

Less software being booted at startup will increase the startup time. But not just the fact that they are newer makes much of a difference.

Those Intel Macs do boot a lot faster than our PowerPC's.

I think he was generalizing, but there is some truth there. In most cases, over time people gather more apps that install helpers and menu bar items, more fonts, etc, all of which add a few seconds. the only thing that slows a machine down apart from that are permissions errors (you know the drill) and cache and log files (they can be cleaned out Tiger Cache Cleaner (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16494))

EDIT: my apologies to anyone who followed the link I accidently posted before

arcobb
Mar 12, 2006, 03:50 PM
Ok... I'm trying to figure out why one would buy a new computer just because the boot time is faster?

bousozoku
Mar 12, 2006, 03:51 PM
Ok... I'm trying to figure out why one would buy a new computer just because the boot time is faster?

It's an interesting thought since my computers stay on most of the time.

4JNA
Mar 13, 2006, 12:22 AM
just be happy that it boots, works, and is not a windows box. boot times don't matter if you factor in spyware, virus apps, and multiple 'protection suites' that have prices at or above .mac, and are all required for day to day use.

reboot your xp box now, and be ready for monday morning!

sweet. :rolleyes:

Shamus
Mar 13, 2006, 01:41 AM
My iBook usually takes about 40 seconds to boot, but nowadays I leave it in sleep most of the time.

terriyaki
Mar 13, 2006, 12:05 PM
I remember someone here on macrumors (CanadaRam, I think) saying that the amount of ram your system has is proportional to the time it takes for your mac to boot up. He explained that this is because OS X checks all of your ram on start up.