PDA

View Full Version : Dual 867 - adding the superdrive

giovanni
Jan 28, 2003, 11:14 PM
Can I buy somewhere a "superdrive" and install it in one of the two bays of my Dual 867 ? I have the Pioneer A04 (I had it before I purchased this PM) and I had install it in the upper bay but a part from huge headache just to fit it in (I had to remove parts of the case in front...) it makes my Mac completely unstable (it crashes when waking up from sleep). Now that I have removed the computer works w/o any troubles, but I would still like to have a superdrive. Any ideas ?

Wano
Jan 29, 2003, 04:37 PM
A firewire superdrive may be an option for you, but they are a little bit more expensive.

crazzyeddie
Jan 29, 2003, 04:57 PM
You shouldnt have to remove any parts... apple used the Pioneer drives.

Also, the Firewire burners do not work with iDVD .

theranch
Jan 29, 2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by giovanni
Can I buy somewhere a "superdrive" and install it in one of the two bays of my Dual 867 ? I have the Pioneer A04 (I had it before I purchased this PM) and I had install it in the upper bay but a part from huge headache just to fit it in (I had to remove parts of the case in front...) it makes my Mac completely unstable (it crashes when waking up from sleep). Now that I have removed the computer works w/o any troubles, but I would still like to have a superdrive. Any ideas ?
Are you saying that you currently own the dp 867 OR that you plan on buying one and want to put this drive in it?
You shouldn't have any problems installing it or running it.

BadgerMac
Jan 29, 2003, 05:20 PM
I've got a Dual 867 and installed a Pioneer DVR-105 I bought from OWC.

It works like a charm and my system acknowledges it as a Superdrive. I moved my Combo down to the 2nd slot and made my Supercdrive my primary drive.

Macpoops
Jan 29, 2003, 05:29 PM
I think apple removes some or all of the plastic face thats already on the drive to make it fit. Try doing that to make the thing fit

JiMacOs
Jan 29, 2003, 05:34 PM
I have a DDP 867 and i installed a Pioneer 105 as a second internal drive. It is recognized by MacOSX 10.2.3 and MacOS 9.2.2 and burns from Toast, Burner, iTunes and iDVD. The only thing i had to do was to remove the front cover of the drive's tray (same does Apple).
Any external Fireware installation will prevent working with iDVD.

Chisholm
Jan 29, 2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by JiMacOs
I have a DDP 867 and i installed a Pioneer 105 as a second internal drive. It is recognized by MacOSX 10.2.3 and MacOS 9.2.2 and burns from Toast, Burner, iTunes and iDVD. The only thing i had to do was to remove the front cover of the drive's tray (same does Apple).
Any external Fireware installation will prevent working with iDVD.

I have the same machine and added a Pioneer 104 a few months ago. Works great! Had to pop the drawer's faceplate off, pretty easy really. I have no crashes and the machine is on 24/7.

cheers!
-John

giovanni
Jan 29, 2003, 10:02 PM
ok dudes.
So I am glad to see that it was not my particular model of Pioneer superdrive that needed special work to fit into the bay.

And I am glad to hear from a few of you who have done the same thing (with either a A04 or A05) SUCCESSFULLY.
But for some reason what did not work properly.

To be specific, let me say exactly what I mean by that: the superdrive I installed worked great (including iDVD) and was perfectly recognized by the OS as a superdrive. The problem was that when the Mac would go to sleep, at wake up it would crash in one form or the other. I have established with 100% certainty that this was due to the superdrive, because since I removed it I have had no more troubles of any nature and my Mac is 7/24 and sleeps and wakes up perfectly.

Now the question is, why do I have this problem ? I installed the superdrive in the upper bay simply because the Mac came with the combo in the lower one. Someone suggested I switch the two. Could this help ? Should I check the settings master vs slave, which settings should I have ?

thxx much for your help !!!

giovanni
Jan 30, 2003, 12:26 AM
well,
why is this thing not working for me !?!?!

My last attempt was tonight: I reinstalled the superdrive (A04) but this time in the lower bay, moving up the combo drive. And again I run into serious troubles when the Mac wakes up from sleep. I wake it up, go and click on the open/close icon to access the drives and I get the never ending color ball. everything else works, but to regain access to the drives I have to restart.

Any ideas what the hell is going on ??

JiMacOs
Jan 30, 2003, 12:30 AM
Drive jumper must be on cable select (CS). My DVD-R is on the bottom bay but i don't think that this has to do anything. Maybe you should upgrade the firmware of the drive?

giovanni
Jan 30, 2003, 09:25 AM
jumpers of both drives are on CS. May be this firmware things is the problem. Do you know where I can find the update ? The one I found at Apple would not work, even though based on the instruction my superdrive should qualify for it. Possibly because I did not get it from Apple. thx

Chisholm
Feb 1, 2003, 11:05 PM
Are you sure you need a firmware upgrade for the DVD-RW? And let's not rule out the fact that something could be defective with the DVD-RW or CPU.

iJon
Feb 2, 2003, 12:03 AM
try putting the primary on master, then the secondary on slave, unless the secondary is on its own ide cable, if so make it a master as well.

iJon

Chisholm
Feb 2, 2003, 11:31 AM
Hmmm. I put my superdrive in a PC to upgrade the firmware cuz there was no Mac version at the time.

Not so related, but my OSX 10.2 server at work gets the seemingly endless color wheels at times and it is a completely fresh install.

Le Big Mac
Feb 4, 2003, 03:15 PM
Despite Giovanni's difficulties, how easy is it to add the Pioneer DVD burner to the PowerMac? Is it basically plug and play, or is there some repackaging and cable-jumpering and such? It seems like finding a discontinued DP 867 and adding a superdrive (no more BTO, I guess) would make a viable alternative to the new 1 GHz (single processor) PM.

Also, any reliable sources for purchasing the Pioneer DVD burner

giovanni
Feb 4, 2003, 10:03 PM
it is real easy indeed, I could do it ! With the pioneer A04 (or DVR-104, same thing, different packaging) however you'll need to get rid of part of the fron panel in order for the drive to eject once inside its bay. But it is easy to do. I am not sure about the A05. But other than that they are plug and play. Mine is in fact, except for that problem with the sleep feature, it works flawlessly.