Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
Ok, heres my story.

My friend is working on a Flash project about World War II for a high school multimedia class. Flash crashed on him while he was working on it, and somehow deleted the file from the drive. He was using Windows so it doesn't surprise me.:rolleyes: Amazingly, he also managed to lose his thumb drive that the backup was stored on. Luckily, the swf file is still there from previewing the movie.
I was wondering if anybody has a flash decompiler that can correctly convert it from .swf to .fla. I tried a few demos from the web for Mac and PC, but they mangled and perverted the movie. If anyone has a decompiler that works, he and I would be very grateful if you could decompile it so it looks like the movie and send it back. Also, if you do get it to compile, tell me what program you used and he will probably buy it soon. It is a very simple project so far, so I am surprised it isn't decompiling correctly.

Thank you a million if it works.

You can get it from my webserver at:
http://158.91.209.252/Germany Project.zip
or
http://158.91.209.252/Germany Project.swf

Hopefully he learns a lesson about backing up files from this.:D

Edit: If you cant get the actionscript working but the scenes separate, that's fine, he can redo the script easy. It's just the layout that needs to be setup correctly.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
homerjward said:
have you tried flash? i think you can open an unprotected swf...

I tried, but couldn't figure it out. When I open it, it opens in a new window, and there isn't an option to save it or conver it. When I import it, it imports it as a movie and is uneditable. If you know how, please tell me. Thanks

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
There's always Gordon... I've only tried it once, and even though I actually managed to get it to do what I wanted (on the third seemingly identical try) I don't think it's a very good app...

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
Well, the problem is sorted out now. He was able to extract all the buttons and other data from the flash movie and it didn't take him long to put it all back together since he was in the early stages of design. Thanks for your advice though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.