PDA

View Full Version : iPod as external HD question

ncook06
Mar 13, 2006, 02:33 AM
Well, I'm planning on using the MBP in my sig to to record myself playing bass so I can go back and review my strengths and weaknesses. What I would like to do is be able to record directly to an iPod to avoid cluttering my HD.

Granted, I'm waiting to get an iPod just in case the new ones (release around April 1?) are really frickin' awesome. I just wanted to know if current 5G iPods would support this kind of thing.

frankblundt
Mar 13, 2006, 02:44 AM
Belkin do a voice recorder (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=158384) add-on (mono - not sure about the quality) and a microphone adapter (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=169368) but it says it's not compatible with the nano, video or mini - what does that leave? the shuffle? Most of the available ones (from Belkin or Griffin at least) seem to be 3G or 4G iPods only

ncook06
Mar 13, 2006, 03:08 AM
I'm talking about using Garageband or Logic to record, but instead of recording onto the MBP HD, recording onto the iPod HD. Any thoughts?

redAPPLE
Mar 13, 2006, 03:24 AM
i personally have not tried it myself, but in theory, i cannot imagine, why this won't be possible. use the iPod as disk mode. and tell logic or garageband where to store the file.

exeterbohemian
Mar 13, 2006, 04:23 AM
i personally have not tried it myself, but in theory, i cannot imagine, why this won't be possible. use the iPod as disk mode. and tell logic or garageband where to store the file.

that would save you hd space on the mpb, but you won't be able to listen to garageband files on your ipod. you'd have to export from garageband to get files that you can listen to on the ipod, meaning you'd have to do it through manual update in itunes.

ncook06
Mar 13, 2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks guys. Like my sig suggests, I'm not too familiar with OS X, nor iTunes, as I'm currently on Win 98. I just wanted some ideas about it.