Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomgreever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
Nashville, TN USA
I'm just curious. Does anyone know if it's possible (or of there's a hack) to connect an external hard drive to an Airport Base Station and share the drive over the network... I have a couple of PowerBooks and would like to buy a 120GB drive to share wirelessly. Any ideas?

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
As a fellow laptop user i have to say that if that were possible it would be great. im really surprised apple hasnt allowed more connections on the airports. a usb and firewire port would be great. that way a airport could server as a print server and file server.

perhaps the easiest way to work around this is to get some old pre g3 mac (can buy these for like $20) connect it to your airport and use that as your file server. definietly not the best solution but perhaps the only feasible one.

tomgreever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
Nashville, TN USA
Old 8100

Yes, I had considered that. I have an old 8100 under my bed that I could use. Except that I wanted to get an external firewire drive... and I don't want to upgrade the 8100. I guess I could get an internal SCSI drive, it just wouldn't be portable. Oh well...

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Yes, quite easy.

But rather expensive.

They're called Network Area Storage devices. They connect by Ethernet or occasionally FW.

$500.00 USD to $5000.00 USD

Storage from 40Gb to 400Gb

Requires a 2.0 base station or a 1.0 base station w/ 10/100 Base-T Ethernet hub. It may also work with virtual base station, but I haven't tried it.

I hope this answered your question. :cool:

tomgreever

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2001
Nashville, TN USA
Yes, but...

Where can I get one? (Network Area Storage devices) I've done some looking on the web, but I can't seem to find anything in an online store. Is this something you can just go out and buy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.