PDA

View Full Version : Charging iPod on a different computer

WithTea
Mar 13, 2006, 01:33 PM
So I just got a 30gig 5G iPod for my eighteenth birthday, and I loaded it all up with music and then flew six hours to visit my grandmother. Needless to say, it needs charging, but the computer I set it up on is several thousand kilometers away, and I can't figure out how to charge it on a computer that doesn't have iTunes.

I'm sure there is a really easy solution to this, but I can't find it on Apple's support pages. I'd really like to be able to use it for the rest of my vacation! Any help?

Thanks

jruc4871
Mar 13, 2006, 01:46 PM
Did you bring the USB cable? just plug it in, i don't see why it wouldn't charge.

I've charged my Mac formatted iPod via USB on a Windows machine.

jruc4871
Mar 13, 2006, 01:50 PM
Did you bring the USB cable? just plug it in, i don't see why it wouldn't charge.

I've charged my Mac formatted iPod via USB on a Windows machine.

Also, it won't charge if you plug it into a USB 1.1 port, only 2.0...

WithTea
Mar 13, 2006, 01:50 PM
I did bring the cable - I've fiddled around a little more and have come to the conclusion that it is charging - I just don't get the "charging" symbol and stuff, it stays with the flashing "do not disconnect" sign. Oh well, as long as it charges.

Thanks

mad jew
Mar 13, 2006, 02:07 PM
That should just mean that it is being recognised as a hard drive on the computer (so you can potentially use it as an external drive). It also means that you should eject it from iTunes (or the Taskbar) before unplugging it.

Doesn't the battery symbol on the iPod show the filling/charging graphic though?