PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 shocking me

Tilmitt
Mar 13, 2006, 03:54 PM
My PowerBook constantly sends a small current up through my hands when it's plugged in it's actually quite sore. The area around the power connector is slightly dented maybe that has something to do with it. It only happens when it's plugged in. Anyone else have this problem and if so any solutions?

Sean7512
Mar 13, 2006, 04:04 PM
Never heard of anything like that....I'm sorry, but I have no ideas!

gauchogolfer
Mar 13, 2006, 04:30 PM
Mine also does this to me (in France), it's a very light sensation, mostly just the hairs on my arm that feel it. I have no visible damage to the power plug either. I've been attributing it to some weird issue with the 220->110 volts downconversion with the power supply. Maybe it's something else though? I'm a bit far from an Apple Store....but I do have AppleCare :D

thomasp
Mar 13, 2006, 05:10 PM
I was randomly getting that off my 15" August '05 PowerBook - it didn't matter if it was plugged into the mains or not.

I'm staying in university halls of residence with a really bad carpet, and it started just after the cleaner had vacuumed my carpet (she's done this loads of times, but it's only just started happening).

I just "earthed" myself before touching my PB - touch something metal that's on the ground and that should do the job. You may still get a shock, which means you're full of static electricity :D

I assume getting a shock off your PB case won't mess anything inside up, since the case creates a Faraday Cage around the important stuff.

One concern I did have when it was happening to me: if I didn't earth myself, and then got a shock from the PB, my trackpad wouldn't work very well for about 30s. The sensitivity would gradually come back. Hopefully I haven't damaged my trackpad...

StarbucksSam
Mar 13, 2006, 05:17 PM
I'd send it in. That can NOT be good. Not within spec, I'd say. ;)

thomasp
Mar 13, 2006, 05:25 PM
I'd send it in. That can NOT be good. Not within spec, I'd say. ;)

I just put it down to a temperamental carpet - I stopped shuffling my feet so much on the carpet and dragging my chair, and the shocks stopped.

Also, the fact that I got a shock when I touched the metal chair leg before touching the PB kind of suggests I was the cause of it :)

I reckon the trackpads work on resistance of the human body, or voltage/current in your fingers, because if I didn't earth myself and I dragged one finger across the trackpad, the page would scroll, as if I had 2 fingers on the trackpad.

Computers are strange :confused:

iGav
Mar 14, 2006, 04:56 AM
reminds me of when you have 2 TiBooks side by side, touch one, and rub the other one... it feals furry. :D

as you were. :o :p