Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nattyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
i recently took my 5Gpod up to the mountain for the 1st time (rockin while while boardin is the best).

the prob was that the battery died from full charge after like 2 hours. now it was cold that day (like 15-20 F), and i think the battery loses power when chilled. luckily i had a few heatpack hand warmers so i stuffed 2 into my pod pocket and the battery went up to like 2/3 full and played till i was ready to go home.

any one else have similar issues w/ pods in the cold?

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I take my iPod snowboarding all the time and I've never had this, however I have had my camera batteries die in the cold.

Batterys + cold = no power. I'm not sure what pocket your using but I keep my iPod in an inside pocket which puts it next to my body and hopefully a little warmer.

nattyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
yea its an inside pocket in my jacket, specially made for music players.
but that still doesnt keep it warm enough, i keep protein bars in there sometimes and they freeze solid.

im guessing the pod just got real cold and like u said "Batterys + cold = no power." hopefully it is just that and im not having some kinda other battery issue.

thanx 4 reply

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
nattyz said:
yea its an inside pocket in my jacket, specially made for music players.
but that still doesnt keep it warm enough, i keep protein bars in there sometimes and they freeze solid.

im guessing the pod just got real cold and like u said "Batterys + cold = no power." hopefully it is just that and im not having some kinda other battery issue.

thanx 4 reply
i wouldn't take a 5G snowboarding because of the hard drive and all. but you could tryi getting 1 or 2 of those hard warmer things that heat up when you shake it. that could keep the ipod warm enough

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I take my ipod skiing all the time. I keep it in my pants pocket because its warmer than the jacket's ipod pocket, but it still dies in about an hour, then turns back on in the car after its warmed back up.

Granted its a 3g, and now it only holds an hour charge regardless of weather, but back in the day, I had the same problem as you.

Try keeping it in a warmer pocket (Sweatshirt if you wear one...I wear a track jacket under my shell, and it has zippered pockets and works really well.) Otherwise pants pockets, because they are really close to your legs, and therefore warm.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I think you need a flash based Nano or shuffle to go snow boarding with. A fall could kill the HD in that 5G as well as the cold.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Wierd, my 4g and my 5g (both hard drive based) never experienced this problem. Yes, cold does tend to drain batteries but I've always been able to listen to tunes all day and judging from the other white buds on the slopes I'm not the only one.

Keep in mind I go snowboarding once a week.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
A battery runs around an equilibrium equation where the reactants become products plus heat and energy. You recharge by putting energy into the system, the system resists the build up of energy by reversing and turning the products back into the reactants. Same thing happens when the battery is cold, heat is being removed from the system faster than normal, making the reaction proceed faster and the battery life drops significantly. If you keep it warm the reaction doesn't go as fast and you get better life out of the battery.

gafferbee

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2005
London, UK
i took my ipod snowboarding last week, wiped out while it was off, and found my headphone lead dangling between my legs the next time i was on a chair lift. ipod nowhere to be seen. claimed by the mountain. i felt pretty dumb...

fuzzwud

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Houston
They sell heat packs at REI that heat your hands or feet when you open the package. You can try putting one in your pocket ... although I'm not sure how good it would be for your iPod :)

The packs can last a couple hours. I'ven't tried that before tho ... no guarantees.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
gafferbee said:
i took my ipod snowboarding last week, wiped out while it was off, and found my headphone lead dangling between my legs the next time i was on a chair lift. ipod nowhere to be seen. claimed by the mountain. i felt pretty dumb...

ouch! I've never lost mine *knock wood* but I have dropped it in the snow atleast once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.