PDA

View Full Version : shuffle cannot be read from or written to

sprstu
Mar 14, 2006, 12:27 AM
My mother and father just bought their first apple products, a shuffle 512 and and Nano 1gig, respectivly. They are not the most tech savoy people on earth so they asked me to help them install and on how to use these things wiht their Dell.
The nano went on first, after uploading the provided iTunes software, rebooted to allow newer versions of software to load, registered nano and it was ready to be filled, no problem.
Plugged in the Shuffle, registered it with apple then let it charge fully. The problem came when I tried to load music onto it, it wouldnt let me. A message kept coming up telling me that this ipod can not be read from or written to.
Since im an apple guy, I had my powerbook with me, and plugged in her shuffle. My iTunes told me that it was registered somewhere else, but I could use it here after I erased it. I let iTunes erase all of the nothing, and like it was meant to be, my PB allowed me to load music without an issue. So, back to the Dell, same message about songs erasing, allowed, and yet this iTunes will not read or write from the shuffle. The nano has no issues loading.

Now, besides helping my mother find the apple store online and get her a Mini, is there anything I can do to make this iTunes write to her Shuffle?
thank you.

frankblundt
Mar 14, 2006, 01:30 AM
did you try "restoring" it using the iPod Updater utility? - either on the CD that came with it, or from Software update, sitting in your Utilities folder, or (for Windows) as a download from Apple (http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/) (you'll need an Apple registration username and password)

Erasing it with iTunes just empties the song files on it - the updater erases and replaces the system on the iPod

_bnkr612
Mar 14, 2006, 10:45 AM
That happened to me, I had to restore with the download. Good luck.