Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
uk
My parents have just moved house and whilst clearing out the junk from the attic i found a powerbook 190cs. Im not so sure what to do with it. It is so old its useless? What would people consider it worth? specs are...

Powerbook 190cs
Built-in memory: 8,192K
Total memory: 16,384
System Software B1-7.5.2
System Enabler B1-1.1

I also found a Gold card inside, but again dont have a clue what it is apart from a PCMCIA Modem. some info would be great.

im in the uk, if it turns out to be useless then ill probably give away, anyone interest?

thanks.

Attachments

• hash001.jpg
    hash001.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 364
  • hash003.jpg
    hash003.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 281

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
You could use it to do word processing, or chat on AIM. It's not *totally* useless but it's pretty close. 8mb of RAM isn't a lot. "Total memory" means your 8mb of actual memory + whatever amount of virtual memory you set in the Memory control panel.

It would run best with some flavor Mac OS 7.

7.5.2 is very unstable though. Upgrade to at least 7.5.5 (free) or 7.6.1 if you can get ahold of a 7.6.1 install CD.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
First question, does it boot into an OS? I am sure it would run System 7 and do simple task, like word processing and email. If it works, it might come in handy, and it would look nice on one corner of your desk even if you didn't use it. IRC or Telnet might be a hoot if you are an uber-nerd.

Edit: oops.. Dan beat me by a minute.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
im in the uk, if it turns out to be useless then ill probably give away, anyone interest?

..and if you decide you don't want it, please IM me a shipping quote, maybe we can work something out. Not a MacBook Pro, but it would be nice to add to my collection. Of course if shipping to Eddy, TX USA (Zip: 76524) is too expensive, I am sure there are many UK folks who would take it off your hand. But I would be willing to pay shipping if you just wanted to give it away (assuming shipping isn't way over the top, I have never shipped to the UK or paid for shipping from the UK).

MacEffects

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2005
Darkspear
If nothing else your AC adaptor from this (if working is about $15 bucks on eBay) and the computer it self could fetch about $10-$15, now I don't know of the top of my head to covert these to GPB, but you get the idea. And the whole setup might be worth $25-35 on eBay out there in the UK, it all depends on the wording and timing... You may get more on eBay.co.uk since the Europe sites get more money for things as they are harder to find out there, and there are far less Mac items on there... Hope this helps and good luck!!

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
you could always put a Dell Truemobile 1150 in it (wireless b card) and pop in some more RAM and have a web surfing machine for another room :D

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
uk
nice one peeps, very handy info.

it does boot intno OS yup. Im going to look into its connectivity so link with my imac and internet. Maestro55, you're right, it does look quite old school on the side of my desk cheers.

I'll check out the options for 7.5.5 and 7.6.1 but if its too much hassle then i probably wont bother, just dont have much time these days.

As for shipping to the US it would start at about £30 or $70 for something of this weight.

Will keep ya'll posted as to what becomes of it. Deep down though i see this as a shipping freebie on this site soon.

ta.

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
As for shipping to the US it would start at about £30 or $70 for something of this weight.

Yeah, anything over $50 is a bit too much for me right now. But maybe I will get lucky and find some old gear at good prices here in the U.S. I would love to add to my collection. Anyhow, enjoy the PowerBook, and have fun with it.

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
uk
no problemo, it will no doubt take me a month anyway to sort it all out, may PM sometime.

ta.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Hamish. I live in the UK and AM interested in it. I live near London if this helps. (Jordans to be exact. William Penn's grave site to all you Pennsylvanians). I would like to take it off your hands as i am obsessed with Apple. It can be the start of the substantial collection that i want to build. If you have any other Apple things even like posters i would be interested. Feel free to PM me.
Richard

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
uk
alright people, Ive tried but to no avail. Im simply not using this piece of kit. Ive anyone would like to collect it from me in london then they are welcome to from the 10th april to the 22nd. PM me if you're interested and we can arrange a meeting.

would let it go for a tenner.
or a fiver and a pint!

cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.