PDA

View Full Version : Do FAT iPods run for longer?

Mar 14, 2006, 02:01 PM
I have recently changed the format of my ipod (5th gen 30gb) form the mac HFS format to FAT32 so i can see my files on non mac systems.

While i had my iPod in the mac format i noticed that the battery meter was about as inaccurate as it gets, if i touched the click wheel for 2 minutes the battery meter would have depleted by about a tenth and if i started playing a game while on 75% charge it would have instantly gone into the "red" zone of the battery. The meter would instantly shoot up after i stop playing the game .I once tested it to see how much playing time i could get out of an ipod while on red battery life, while playing music and solitaire i got over 2 hours of work out of the iPod.

Now that my iPod is formatted as a FAT32 drive the battery meter steadily goes down rather than constantly jumping up and down while being used and while playing games on the ipod the meter does seem to drop as quickly.

I haven't yet been bothered to do a test. but i am interested in knowing whether windows formatted 5th gen ipod just have more accurate batter meters? or if the FAT32 formate allows the ipod to run for a longer period of time?

ITASOR
Mar 14, 2006, 02:04 PM
I think the reformatting it fixed the software issue with the battery meter. Meaning, the reformatting in general, not the specific format you applied to it.

Mar 14, 2006, 02:06 PM
I think the reformatting it fixed the software issue with the battery meter. Meaning, the reformatting in general, not the specific format you applied to it.

that interesting. are iPods prone to have corruptible that can lead to inaccurate battery meters ?

mad jew
Mar 14, 2006, 05:42 PM
iPods are very prone to getting corrupt parts of their firmware simply because they are used so portably. Rather than restoring (and resyncing) the firmware each time this happens, just calibrate the battery by running it flat and then charging it up again. You may need an adaptor to do this since an extremely flat iPod often isn't recognised by computers.

FWIW, I didn't notice any difference in battery life when I switched over to FAT32 on my 4G. :)

ITASOR
Mar 14, 2006, 05:43 PM
Ipods

AHH! mad jew is turning over to the dark side. Help! Noooo!

mad jew
Mar 14, 2006, 05:48 PM
Was I ever on the light side?

Edited just in time. Thanks ITASOR. :p

exeterbohemian
Mar 16, 2006, 03:58 AM
i don't think the hard drive format has any effect on performance. back when i was primarily on windows, i had my 3g ipod formatted FAT. when i got my powerbook back in august, i simply migrated my library over and never bothered to reformat the ipod. now that i have a 5g, i keep it in HFS because that seemed like the best option. but in all honesty, i can see no discernable difference.