PDA

View Full Version : Watch a full-length movie?

rye9
Mar 14, 2006, 03:02 PM
When answering, it does not matter whether you own one or not, just whether you would watch a movie on a 2.5 inch screen.

P.S.- Yes, I do realize that "length" is spelled wrong. :D

killuminati
Mar 14, 2006, 03:20 PM
I already do. I watch movies all the time on the way up to Whistler.

I doubt I would buy them from iTunes though.

Mar 14, 2006, 03:26 PM
i see the video feature on the device only suitable for viewing short clips or music videos.

full length movies wont be comfortably to view on the screen and the battery wont last for long watching one anyway and the time it takes to encode a large file make it even more awkward.

but i could see my self ripping a DVD onto my ipod plugging it into a tv (and powering the ipod via a usb port on a cable box or playstation) and viewing a movie on a tv. i'll have to try it out sometime.

dubbz
Mar 14, 2006, 03:30 PM
Err.. Ooops. I voted "Yes", but I actually mean "No".

The screen whould be way to small, IMO. It's bad enough watching a full-length movie on my 12" PB.

Oryan
Mar 14, 2006, 03:33 PM
I don't have an iPod, but I can't imagine watching a full-length movie on one.

john159
Mar 14, 2006, 03:35 PM
50 50 as of now... i said no 2 hrs on that small of a screen might make me go blind... even though i own one and watch tv on it for less than one hour

a long movie might just be too long

menziep
Mar 14, 2006, 03:36 PM
Lets wait and see the 4 inch iPod video

Oops I Voted Yes to

rye9
Mar 14, 2006, 04:12 PM
Lets wait and see the 4 inch iPod video

Man, iPods are turning into video players instead of music. Honestly, I would say MUCH more people listen to music than watch videos. My friend has a 5G and listens to music much more... people normally arent in a good place or have the time to stare at a 2.5 inch screen.

Marky_Mark
Mar 14, 2006, 04:20 PM
My friend has a 5G and listens to music much more... people normally arent in a good place or have the time to stare at a 2.5 inch screen.

I wouldn't be happy watching videos in a public place or on public transport anyway - you make yourself too much of a target for crime. Keep it in your pocket and use it for music.

cycocelica
Mar 14, 2006, 06:06 PM
That would be boring and uncomfortable. When I watch a movie I want to be able to tell what is happening and you can't do that with a 2.5" screen. I will wait for the "video ipod" to come out.

celebrian23
Mar 14, 2006, 06:28 PM
I don't own an ipod, but I wouldn't. I just can't imagine watching a full-length movie on such a tiny screen. And that seems like quite a drain on the battery. There's also the portability issue. It'd be akward to be watching it when you're on the go. I'd probably only watch it at home anyways, where I'd have access to better viewing possibilities anyways.

aricher
Mar 14, 2006, 06:35 PM
I watch full length movie on my iPod at least 2-3 times a week. Usually late at night while others are sleeping. I've also ripped a ton of shorter length videos to watch during my lunch breaks, standing in lines, etc.

Peyton
Mar 14, 2006, 06:37 PM
I would say a big resounding no to watching it on a 2.5 inch screen. Besides that, keep your eyes on it too long in the wrong area and you'll be mugged, and no more 5G. :cool:

840quadra
Mar 14, 2006, 06:40 PM
I do as many have said, already too.

On my iPod currently (others have been on and off too)
iRobot
Matrix Reloaded
Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels
Ronin

More to come as I have time to compress and load them :)

50 50 as of now... i said no 2 hrs on that small of a screen might make me go blind... even though i own one and watch tv on it for less than one hour

a long movie might just be too long

Depending on how far you sit from your TV set, the iPod screen may be bigger (feeling) depending on how close you sit from it.

It is all about perspective

http://www.richardgregory.org/papers/recovery_blind/rec_blind_fig_06_perspective_illusion_sm.gif

Kingsly
Mar 14, 2006, 06:49 PM
I don't have an iPod, but I can't imagine watching a full-length movie on one.
its actually not that bad. having a 2.5 inch screen 6" from your eyes is the same as having a 42" screen 6' from your eyes. (Im guesstimating here)
I vote "yes"

ToastMaster
Mar 14, 2006, 09:21 PM
I have 11 movies on my iPod, but I honestly don't watch them or the TV Shows on it very often.

However, it's really good for things like train or plane trips. Since I have a iPod Powerstick, I can watch a movie on my iPod, then plug in the Powerstick with some AA batteries to charge the battery life back up, and listen to music or whatever.

Bubbasteve
Mar 14, 2006, 09:55 PM
I have watched full length movies on my iPod. It helps me go to sleep when the insomnia tries to take over :cool:

wwooden
Mar 14, 2006, 10:47 PM
I just had an idea, probably has been posted before, but wanted to get peoples opinions. I think that Apple should post all the Keynotes and and videos of the "special events" on the iTMS. I would pay $1.99 to have them. I can't imagine it would be that much work for them and I know a ton of people around would love to have them. That is the kind of stuff I could watch on a small screen because you don't need to have a 100% attention the whole time to enjoy them.

evilgEEk
Mar 15, 2006, 12:24 AM
I think that Apple should post all the Keynotes and and videos of the "special events" on the iTMS. I would pay $1.99 to have them...
I would probably pay a minimal fee of $1.99 to have them, but nothing more. But what I don't get is why Apple didn't put the last MacWorld Expo on iTunes for download, it took forever to watch it all because of all the server load. I would have much rather just downloaded it instead of watching a stream of it.

Anyway, back to the topic. :)

I've watched a bunch of movies on my iPod. The longest ones I have watched is Braveheart (3 hours) and Shawshank Redemption (2.5 hours). I watch some of them at work with my Belkin iPod cup holder turned upside down so it's like a pedestal. Great way to pass the time when needed.

If Apple does begin selling movies on iTunes I only hope they will make them at least DVD quality, otherwise I won't be jumping on that bandwagon. I can't bring myself to spend $9.99 on iPod quality. :p

DCapple
Mar 15, 2006, 12:41 AM
im not an iPod owner yet but would like to try watch a full length movie from an iPod. :)

wwooden
Mar 15, 2006, 03:17 PM
I would probably pay a minimal fee of $1.99 to have them, but nothing more. But what I don't get is why Apple didn't put the last MacWorld Expo on iTunes for download, it took forever to watch it all because of all the server load. I would have much rather just downloaded it instead of watching a stream of it.

Anyway, back to the topic. :)

I've watched a bunch of movies on my iPod. The longest ones I have watched is Braveheart (3 hours) and Shawshank Redemption (2.5 hours). I watch some of them at work with my Belkin iPod cup holder turned upside down so it's like a pedestal. Great way to pass the time when needed.

If Apple does begin selling movies on iTunes I only hope they will make them at least DVD quality, otherwise I won't be jumping on that bandwagon. I can't bring myself to spend $9.99 on iPod quality. :p

I highly doubt they will be DVD quality, that would be at least a 4gig file to download. They do need to up the quality though, making a 2-hour movie about a gig would be very good quality, and look great on a 4" screen ;).

Mitthrawnuruodo
Mar 15, 2006, 03:23 PM
No... I cannot imagine any situation where that little screen would be sufficient to watch video at all, least of all a full-length film...

It takes more than 2.5" to satisfy me... :D