PDA

View Full Version : Just gotta new Powerbook G4

surfshack
Mar 14, 2006, 03:10 PM
Hello Everyone

I just joined here.
I've owned a powerbook G4 for a few months now.
I'm totally lost with computers , all I know how to do is type and send emails , burn cd's and import photo's from my camera ( my camera is a Canon S2 , which takes very nice pictures , btw).
Now , I want to learn how to import and burn DVD's. I tried to import a Jimi Hendrix bootleg DVD from the Atlanta Pop Festival. But I don't know how....I'm totally lost!
When importing cd's , it's pretty easy , but importing Dvd's isn't at all.
I went to iDVD and iMovie , but that's no help at all.
Can anyone here help me in being able to figure out how to import Dvd's , so I can burn them?
I'm new to computers , so any help would have to be spelled out to me step by step.
I would appreciate it!
Thanks!:confused:

zelmo
Mar 14, 2006, 03:15 PM
It is illegal, at least here in the U.S., to rip a commercial DVD. I've heard of people using s/ware like MactheRipper and Popcorn to make "backup" copies of their DVD collections, though.

Welcome to MacRumors. It's generally a lovely place to be.:)

surfshack
Mar 14, 2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the reply zelmo.
The Dvd I tried to import and burn isn't a commercial Dvd.
I realize copying commercial Dvd's is illegal.
I'm just trying to learn how to import and burn non-commercial Dvd's.
I have no idea how to do this...

Aramis
Mar 14, 2006, 03:25 PM
It is illegal, at least here in the U.S., to rip a commercial DVD. I've heard of people using s/ware like MactheRipper and Popcorn to make "backup" copies of their DVD collections, though.

Hint Hint. ;)

surfshack
Mar 14, 2006, 04:49 PM
OK , just now I loaded in my non-commercial DVD.
I went to "Finder" and clicked onto "Services" and then to "Disk Utility" and then clicked onto "Calculate Image Checksum CRC-32".
That brought me into a Repair Services thing , so I clicked onto "New Image" and then "Saved" the disc. It took like 10 minutes or so to load.
Then it saved it as a dsk.1imge or something like that. It saved it to my Documents. So now I have this in my Documents , but when I double-click onto it nothing happens!
What did I just do?
I'm completely lost!:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm trying to figure out how to simply import or save a non-commercial Dvd to my laptop , so then I can burn a copy , but I don't know how!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Peyton
Mar 14, 2006, 05:00 PM
Can you just click on the DVD icon on your desktop and copy it to a folder then burn the folder to a DVD?

Control + C is copy
Control + V is paste

surfshack
Mar 14, 2006, 05:01 PM
I realize that I need to get software to be able to import Dvd's.
Is there any free downloads available?

ITASOR
Mar 14, 2006, 05:07 PM
Can you just click on the DVD icon on your desktop and copy it to a folder then burn the folder to a DVD?

Control + C is copy
Control + V is paste

LOL, OS X is user friendly, but not THAT user friendly. :p

plinkoman
Mar 14, 2006, 06:17 PM
I realize that I need to get software to be able to import Dvd's.
Is there any free downloads available?

yes, there are. mactheripper, handbrake etc...

if you'll notice, this was already posted, and then quoted in bold letters... :cool:

surfshack
Mar 14, 2006, 06:42 PM
OK , I put that non-commercial DVD in and then went to "Finder" and then "Disk Utility" and then to "New image" and then "created" the image into my computer and put it into "Documents".
It took about 10 minutes or so to load into my computer and then came out as "disk1.dmg"".

I then popped the disc out and then put a blank in. I went back and burned the image "disk1.dmg" onto the blank.
It took about 15-20 minutes. It worked! It came out fine!
Now I have the "disk1.dmg" stored in my documents.
But now when I click onto "disk1.dmg" to view the DVD I can't get it to play.
How do I get it to play?

Is this the proper way to import DVD's?

mkrishnan
Mar 14, 2006, 06:51 PM
To get the disk to play, double click on the disk image. You will then see a white icon like a disk drive on the desktop. This is called "mounting" the disk image. Now open DVD Player. In DVD Player, in the File menu, choose Open DVD Media.

Now in the file chooser that pops up, you will see on the upper left hand side, an icon for the DVD image that you mounted. Click on it. Inside should be a folder called Video_TS. Click on that and then the choose button. And it should play. :)

Coolnat2004
Mar 14, 2006, 06:55 PM
If you want to watch the DVD on your computer without the disc (noncommercial DVD), then you need a program like HandBrake (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117) to convert it to a flat video file, which can then be viewed in Quicktime.

Edit: You could probably do what mkrishnan said, but it is going to take up a lot more space on your hard drive. His method is, however, simpler. Try that first and see if you're satisfied.

mkrishnan
Mar 14, 2006, 07:01 PM
Edit: You could probably do what mkrishnan said, but it is going to take up a lot more space on your hard drive. His method is, however, simpler. Try that first and see if you're satisfied.

What I said only works / makes sense if it's already on your hard drive. Yes, if you want to keep multiple disks on your drive, then do what Coolnat is saying. ;)

gman71882
Mar 14, 2006, 08:15 PM
This is one option for backing up movies you own:

1. Use MactheRipper(free) to "rip" the NON-Commercial ;) DVD to your HD, This creates a Uncompressed Video TS Folder on your HD, wherever you put it. These folders are usually too big to Burn on regular DVD's you must compress them and create an Disc Image to burn to a regular DVD disc.
Link for: MactheRipper (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715)

2. Use Software like DVD2OneX (~$48) to create the Compressed VideoTS folder and a Disc Image that you can then burn to a DVD using Disk Utility.
Link for DVD2OnE (http://www.dvd2one.com/)
once you burn the Image, Test the DVD on a DVD player; you can then delete all the Video TS Folders which take up a bunch of space on your HD.

Or 3. Use Freeware like Handbrake to create a Mpeg/Mp4 of the original VideoTS which you can then keep on your computer, Burn to a CD or DVD as a file(not playable in a DVD player) or possibly put it on a Video IPOD/PSP. You can change the resolution of the movie in Handbrake to get the file sizes down.
Link for Handbrake (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117)

There are other Software options out there... Popcorn (http://www.roxio.com/en/products/popcorn/index.jhtml)(~$50) works as well but ive never used it. Any way you look at it will cost you a bit(~$50) to be able to "Burn" the compressed Video TS Folders. There may be Freeware DVD compressors out there, but i dont know of any.
Otherwise it's free to just copy it to your HD or put it on an Ipod

GITANAJAVA
Mar 14, 2006, 08:54 PM

Welcome to MacRumors. It's generally a lovely place to be.:)

In reading these forums on a twice-daily basis, with a particular interest in those queries and posts relevant to my industry (arts and entertainment, BTW), I'm surprised how frequently responders automatically assume anyone requesting information about how to rip/burn/import a DVD needs to be warned about what constitutes lawful activity.

UNLESS and UNTIL a writer in the MR forum asserts that it is his or her clear intent to violate laws of copyright and commit piracy, we who respond need to stay true to the spirit of MR and provide useful assistance and encouragement. Intentional violators are unlikely to advertise their crime; unintentional violators are likely ignorant of the facts. Both the professional pirate and the "accidental pirate" need facts, not chiding or finger-shaking rhetoric. If someone does state their intent to violate intellectual property rights, share these useful links with them__

http://www.ic3.gov/

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html

http://www.cybercrime.gov/

http://www.cybercrime.gov/reporting.htm

http://www.cybercrime.gov/ipmanual.htm
--------------------------------
I'd like to see an FYI or sticky or whatev set up in these pages that dealt specifically with the various ethical issues, manners and mores of computing and digital life: a "one stop answers all" for these sticky wickets.

:D

DMPDX
Mar 14, 2006, 09:21 PM

Control + C is copy
Control + V is paste
Its actually command, or the apple logo v+c:D

Peyton
Mar 14, 2006, 09:21 PM
Its actually command, or the apple logo v+c:D

I'm a little green and its showing :o

surfshack
Mar 14, 2006, 11:28 PM
Ok guys....I downloaded handbrake and converted an MP4 and it worked!
Awesome!
It took a long time to download handbrake though , 2 hours! Geez! Hey , but it worked!
I also downloaded 2to1 and got a 30 day trial period.

Thanks for all your help! That was great!:D

annk
Mar 15, 2006, 04:30 AM
I'm surprised how frequently responders automatically assume anyone requesting information about how to rip/burn/import a DVD needs to be warned about what constitutes lawful activity.

UNLESS and UNTIL a writer in the MR forum asserts that it is his or her clear intent to violate laws of copyright and commit piracy, we who respond need to stay true to the spirit of MR and provide useful assistance and encouragement.

I don't necessarily experience the comments you're referring to as warnings. I see them as information relevant to the posters' questions, and I think it's especially important to include information about copyright issues when a self-proclaimed newbie posts with this sort of question. If the poster is new to computers and to backing up DVDs, it's reasonable to assume they are also new to the legal aspects. :) This, to me, is part of what "useful assistance and encouragement" is all about.

GITANAJAVA
Mar 17, 2006, 01:03 AM
I don't necessarily experience the comments you're referring to as warnings. I see them as information relevant to the posters' questions, and I think it's especially important to include information about copyright issues when a self-proclaimed newbie posts with this sort of question. If the poster is new to computers and to backing up DVDs, it's reasonable to assume they are also new to the legal aspects. :) This, to me, is part of what "useful assistance and encouragement" is all about.

I will agree that accurate information that is directly pertinent to a questioner's post can constitute useful assistance and encouragement, hence the links I inserted at my post and the suggestion that a type of knowledgebase on copyright laws of various countries be created within MR.

However, I cannot agree that it is reasonable to assume that because someone is ignorant of the steps to ripping a DVD it can be likewise assumed the person is also "new to the legal aspects," not unless it is clearly indicated by their stated question or intent. An individual may be new to computers, DVD's, etc., and yet have :::shock!!::: a wealth of wisdom, skill, education, and experience in fields that go beyond and before the tiny realm of electronic media.

annk
Mar 17, 2006, 01:26 AM
I An individual may be new to computers, DVD's, etc., and yet have :::shock!!::: a wealth of wisdom, skill, education, and experience in fields that go beyond and before the tiny realm of electronic media.

Oh course that's possible. But it's also possible the poster doesn't. Why take the chance? If the poster already knows these things, no harm done. If not, it's valuable information. The problem here is assumption. If you leave out relevant, important information on the assumption the poster knows, the information is less complete and helpful than it could have been. I see this at the reference desk at work all the time. People come in and ask for certain information, and because we are trained in how to give a reference interview, we ask a few extra questions or offer a bit of related information. Very, very often, extra infomation turns out to of value, and the patron goes out better-informed, and pleased with the level of service. If it turns out the patron already knew whatever it is we suggest in addition, this is made clear quickly, and is not a problem.

Assumption is just not a good thing in this situation, especially when the exchange lacks both tone of voice and body language.

On a forum, luckily, there are lots of people answering the questions that come up. Most things do get covered. It's up to the original poster to decide what's relevant for him/her.