Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
I know there have been numerous discussions regarding CRT vs LCD in the design world (more specifically related to print). Most people come to the conclusion that a high-end CRT is the better choice. I was just wondering what some of your thoughts were on what Apple says about it.

If you visit their color section (http://www.apple.com/pro/color/workflow/), read the first page. I know apple's just trying to sell their products, but is there any truth to what they are saying? I'm just wondering what those with a lot of experience in the print industry and also have experience using high end CRTs alongside Apple's latest line of cinema displays think.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Josh said:
In every pro design/photo/print shop I've been in, I've never seen an LCD being used.

CRTs+hood seems the way to go.

To play devil's advocate here, I noticed a lot of design studios are years behind in technology. A lot of them are still running OS9 with powermac g3's and g4's and still using photoshop 7. And even if they are up to date on their hardware and software, I'm thinking a lot of them will keep using the same displays because they still work fine (if it ain't broke, then why fix it?). My point is, just because most studios are using CRTs doesn't make them better. Most studios use Quark. Does that make Quark better than Indesign (subjective answer of course).

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
I'm running a Dual 2.0 and a Quad, OSX 10.4, one with a 23 " Apple Cinema Display and the other with a Barco Reference Calibrator (LCD). The ACD is no match next to the Barco.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
ATD said:
I'm running a Dual 2.0 and a Quad, OSX 10.4, one with a 23 " Apple Cinema Display and the other with a Barco Reference Calibrator (LCD). The ACD is no match next to the Barco.

Are both displays calibrated? Can you be more in depth as to how it's no match? I'm just curious.

stoid

macrumors 601
I work in a publications office on a college campus, and we use LCDs (Apple plastics with the ACD connector)

In terms of color accuracy for printing, I've seen a monitor that I thought was accurate enough to trust for process (i.e. PANTONE) jobs, and you always have to get the swatch book out anyway. So I prefer LCD because the size is large enough that pixel density doesn't make me squint, and there is no flicker.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
radiantm3 said:
Are both displays calibrated? Can you be more in depth as to how it's no match? I'm just curious.

To be fair the Barco is hardware calibrated and the ACD is software. I know a good number of people who have hardware calibrated a ACD and stated that there is little to no change in the calibration. Some will say it can be calibrated to a DeltaE of 1 like a Barco but I have yet to see for myself. I'm still doing research on that I will change my mind if I see that for myself, I do like the ACD. Until that happens I got to trust the Barco.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Josh said:
In every pro design/photo/print shop I've been in, I've never seen an LCD being used.

CRTs+hood seems the way to go.

At the place I intern at (commercial photography) they use LaCie monitors. there are two CRTs attached to G4s (running CS2) and a 19in LaCie LCD attached to a G5 quad, all with hoods. Honestly, I can't tell the difference, except that the LCD is brighter and had a little bit better color brightness.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
My office upgraded computers about a year ago. We got Dual 2Ghz G5s and 22-inch LaCie Electron Blue CRT monitors for the designers. Out art director uses a 22-inch Apple Cinema LCD display that we've had for a while. I think the new company that bought us out is looking to getting her either a 23 or a 30inch LCD for one reason and one reason only. They using a digital color proofing system that is only certified accurate on Apple LCD monitors (and another brand i can't remember). Everyone is getting out of the CRT marker, even LaCie, so i would look into LCD. They actually look really good.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
JasonElise1983 said:
My office upgraded computers about a year ago. We got Dual 2Ghz G5s and 22-inch LaCie Electron Blue CRT monitors for the designers. Out art director uses a 22-inch Apple Cinema LCD display that we've had for a while. I think the new company that bought us out is looking to getting her either a 23 or a 30inch LCD for one reason and one reason only. They using a digital color proofing system that is only certified accurate on Apple LCD monitors (and another brand i can't remember). Everyone is getting out of the CRT marker, even LaCie, so i would look into LCD. They actually look really good.
I've some friends in the business.

In two cases, their work centers were upgraded. Both to ADCs.

It seems to me, that CRTs are on their way out even for this area. LCDs are getting quite good.

Again, not a professional, just based on what I've been seeing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.