Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blacksun73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
Hard time finding that 12"? We have them in stock!!! Let me know . 1-800-622-6222 ext 20561 MacWarehouse.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I wonder when the Apple stores and re-sellers will get the new PowerBooks in. Or do they already have them in?

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
My local CompUSA just put theirs out yesterday (tuesday). I think I was the first person to actually look at it, because after a while, a guy came up and said that he'd just put it out 10 minutes ago...

The thing he did say that makes me wonder, is that they don't know how they're going to display the 17" PowerBook, since it's so wide, and their notebook locking mechanisms aren't that big... They can give one to me for safe keeping :D

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
Got it!

My 12" PowerBook arrived from MacWarehouse this morning.

Free printer & case arrived yesterday. No sign of free battery yet.

I posted Xbench results in another thread. I won't have time to evaluate the new PowerBook until this weekend.

moby1

blacksun73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
Geez, I have never been told I sound like a computer. LOL . Just wanted to let people know that we had 12 in stock. I was reading peoples posts about their estimated ship dates and for some reason we got an early shipment.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
CompUSA in NYC has it (the store demo model). I just saw it yesterday. It's pretty sweet, but the curved edges make it look too much like an iBook. I liked the more linear, straight edge design of the 15" TiBook better, plus the aluminum doesen't feel quite as nice, somehow. Still, the thing is tiny! I'know a lot of people who would love one of these things...;)

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
In Stock in Dallas

If you are in Dallas, TX both stores have them. Apple Store WillowBend has no SuperDrive equipped ones and last night only had one combo drive that was on hold for someone. The manager told me that the other Apple Store in Dallas, (Apple Store Knox Street), may still have some in stock being that they are new and likely got more of the new hardware than what he had.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Schaumburg (Woodfield) Apple Store had the 12" PBs since this past weekend, they also have the Superdrive version.

I almost bought one on Monday! Almost .... :(

yogi477

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
England
I GOT MINE!!!

I got my 12 PB today it is awesome so sleek and cold and it has that new computer smell about it.

hariya

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
I am feeling giddy

I got an email this morning that my PB12" shipped from Taiwan. I ordered on Jan 11 and the date the apple store gave me was Feb 11 so, if you ordered around that time, keep your eyes peeled.

This is my first mac purchase even though I have been using macs at school for ever. I am also looking forward to the dual 1.25 I just put an order in for to replace the dying AGP 400 PM.

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Re: I am feeling giddy

Originally posted by hariya
I got an email this morning that my PB12" shipped from Taiwan. I ordered on Jan 11 and the date the apple store gave me was Feb 11 so, if you ordered around that time, keep your eyes peeled.

This is my first mac purchase even though I have been using macs at school for ever. I am also looking forward to the dual 1.25 I just put an order in for to replace the dying AGP 400 PM.

Was yours a Superdrive model?

hariya

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
Re: Re: I am feeling giddy

Originally posted by dabirdwell

Was yours a Superdrive model?

Yes, Superdrive and maxed out memory. No Airport Extreme.

I got it through the student ADC deal and since it was a one-time only deal, I went all out. Saved 20 % on the price too. :)

yogi477

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
England
Target Disk

Does anyone know how to do Target Disk mode so I can transfer my files across? Do both machines need Jaguar as my iMac only has 10.1 or is there another way?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Target Disk

Originally posted by yogi477
Does anyone know how to do Target Disk mode so I can transfer my files across? Do both machines need Jaguar as my iMac only has 10.1 or is there another way?

If your iMac has Firewire all you need to do is hook up a firewire cable between the two, and boot the machine while holding "T" on the keyboard.

yogi477

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
England
It does have FIrewire, I have hooked them up then restarted the iMac with holding T down but nothing happened are you sure it is not a Jaguar thing? Do both computers have to be restarted?

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
12" AiBook keyboard

i saw the 12" powerbook in the SoHo NYC apple store, and the keyboard is disgusting... anyone else think that??? enough to make me forget about wanting that and instead waiting to afford the 17" even if it is overkill. i keep thinking the new 12" is like an iBook with a G4 processor, rather than a small PB. :rolleyes:

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Re: 12" AiBook keyboard

Originally posted by evoluzione
i saw the 12" powerbook in the SoHo NYC apple store, and the keyboard is disgusting... anyone else think that??? enough to make me forget about wanting that and instead waiting to afford the 17" even if it is overkill. i keep thinking the new 12" is like an iBook with a G4 processor, rather than a small PB. :rolleyes:

disgusting i what sense? it looked fine to me. It looked nice actually except that having the letters in the middle looked different.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by yogi477
It does have FIrewire, I have hooked them up then restarted the iMac with holding T down but nothing happened are you sure it is not a Jaguar thing? Do both computers have to be restarted?

Try it the other way -- boot the iMac normally, and the PB in target disk mode.

From Apple Support:

To use FireWire target disk mode

1. Make sure that the target computer is turned off. If you are using a PowerBook computer or iBook computer as the target computer, you should also plug in its AC power adapter.

2. Use a FireWire cable (6-pin to 6-pin) to connect the target computer to a host computer. The host computer does not need to be turned off.

3. Start up the target computer and immediately press and hold down the T key until the FireWire icon appears. The hard disk of the target computer should become available to the host computer and will likely appear on desktop.

4. When you are finished copying files, drag the target computer's hard disk icon to the Trash or select Put Away from the File menu (Mac OS 9) or Eject from the File menu (Mac OS X).

5. Press the target computer's power button to turn it off.

6. Unplug the FireWire cable.

If the target computer's hard disk does not become available to the host computer, check the cable connections and restart the host computer.

I also saw the 12" PB today at the Apple Store. I like the case materials/design, but I don't know if I prefer the new keyboard or the Ti keyboard.

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Re: Re: Re: I am feeling giddy

Originally posted by hariya

Yes, Superdrive and maxed out memory. No Airport Extreme.

I got it through the student ADC deal and since it was a one-time only deal, I went all out. Saved 20 % on the price too. :)

Mine was through ADC also, with maxed everything and AE basestation, but they still say Feb. 18 until mine ships. Hurry Powerbook, our 20" display shipped yesterday and I'm really going to be itching for my book when I can stare at it on Apple's website in the 20" Cinema window.

hariya

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
Re: I am feeling giddy

Originally posted by dabirdwell

Mine was through ADC also, with maxed everything and AE basestation, but they still say Feb. 18 until mine ships. (snip)

Patience, young grasshopper. Mine said Feb 11 till last night too. I bet that you will hear from apple by Monday or Tuesday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.