PDA

View Full Version : Need help fast! Have to choose between 2 computers Ibook or Powerbook

BillHarrison
Mar 15, 2006, 08:17 AM
Need help fast! Have to choose between 2 computers Ibook or Powerbook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, im looking for a portable mac to do my web stuff with, just needs to be quick enough for basic photo editing (i run a car lot, just snap photos, fix em up a little, post to the web, update listings, etc)

I have found 2, and they are similair in price. I am at a toss up about which one would be better:

Computer 1: iBook 800mhz 128mb ram 285$

Computer 2: Powerbook G4 667mhz 256mb ram 375$

Quick edit: Computer 3 iBook 500mhz 64mb ram 175$

Besides the obvious size differences (Does anyone have a pic comparing the 2 side by side btw?), is the powerbook worth the extra nearly hundred bucks?

Portability is important, and the powerbook does have a 1 up because it has pcmcia slots (cheaper wireless than airport card). Its also more expandable.

But its slower, processor wise.

Quick edit: He offered me one other system, the ibook 500mhz, its quite a bit cheaper, should i just save my money, grab the cheaper one? And put my money towards an intel ibook when released? Would the 500mhz fulfill my needs for the next 3-4 months while i wait?

ACK DECISIONS!

I will be using os x exclusively.

One last ? Is Quartz express supported on both models?? I think so, but just double checking

Anyone care to weigh the pros and cons of each for me since i have never owned either?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by BillHarrison : Today at 08:56 AM.

munckee
Mar 15, 2006, 08:39 AM
Keep in mind that none of those machines will likely have enough ram to do the photo work you want. Or at least not well. You might be better off upping your limit by another $100 and picking up a slightly newer ibook.

BillHarrison
Mar 15, 2006, 08:44 AM
Keep in mind that none of those machines will likely have enough ram to do the photo work you want. Or at least not well. You might be better off upping your limit by another $100 and picking up a slightly newer ibook.

ram is certainly cheap enough, so thats not an issue really, I will bump anything i get to atleast 512mb.

I am more worried about what i cant change, ie processor speed etc.

dmw007
Mar 15, 2006, 09:44 AM
I think that I would go for the 800MHz iBook (if its a G4) and then upgrade the RAM. If the iBook is a G3, then I would definitely go for the 667MHz PowerBook G4. A slower PowerPC G4 will outperform a faster (in terms of MHz) PowerPC G3 processor. Plus, the PowerBook has a larger screen.:)

danny_w
Mar 15, 2006, 09:50 AM
I agree with dmw007. Get the iBook only if it is a G4 (doubtful), otherwise get the PowerBook. I wish I could find one that cheap!

GimmeSlack12
Mar 15, 2006, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't bother with Either. Just get a new iBook, 12" is about $1000.

But I had to choose I'd go for the PB.

aquajet
Mar 15, 2006, 09:57 AM
Only the PowerBook G4 and the iBook 800 support quartz extreme.

Also keep in mind -- you will most likely have to purchase a new battery for the PowerBook or the iBook 500, although the battery for the iBook 800 might be okay.

Personally -- I'd go for the PowerBook.

devilot
Mar 15, 2006, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't bother with Either. Just get a new iBook, 12" is about $1000.If you wanted to go that route; on Amazon the 12" iBook is listed at $999 with an additional $100 rebate. $899 w/ free shipping and no sales tax is a nice deal.

QCassidy352
Mar 15, 2006, 10:29 AM
I think that I would go for the 800MHz iBook (if its a G4) and then upgrade the RAM. If the iBook is a G3, then I would definitely go for the 667MHz PowerBook G4. A slower PowerPC G4 will outperform a faster (in terms of MHz) PowerPC G3 processor. Plus, the PowerBook has a larger screen.:)

I agree. the powerbook, if the ibook is a G3, but if it's a G4, go for that. If the ibook is a G4 then both are good deals.

Dane D.
Mar 15, 2006, 10:46 AM
Go for the PowerBook, I have the TiG4/667 hooked to a BetterLight camera system. Runs fine with 512MB RAM (OS 9.2.2). The iBooks to me are cheap, they feel cheap, the 12" inch is a joke for work, IMO they are for word processing and email, not pro apps like Photoshop or Illustrator or Quark. My PowerBook can dual boot (OS X) also, when not using the camera.

dmw007
Mar 15, 2006, 11:22 AM
I wish I could find one that cheap!

Agreed, $285 for a 800MHz iBook G4 is an awesome deal. Heck, even if its a 800MHz iBook G3 its still a good price. :)

California
Mar 15, 2006, 01:35 PM
Get the Tibook. They are also so user friendly you can upgrade the hd memory and put in a superdrive when you want. With one gig of ram, a 7200 drive and a superdrive, you'd be flying The screen size is also very noticable between a 12: and 15" powerbook. I've had both -- get the Ti.

ibooksux
Mar 15, 2006, 09:05 PM
The iBook G3 has had all kinds of issues with the logic board frying. I have posted on multiple sites today cuz mine fried yesterday A SECOND TIME! And to add insult to injury, Apple told me they "cant keep replacing these things." My Applecare ran out in November......

Applecare? yeah right... 300 down the drain.. Anyway, get thePB if you must get a Mac.

celebrian23
Mar 15, 2006, 09:29 PM
I'd go for the pb in a minute. A G4 PB for that cheap? A chance like that doesn't come around everyday! Or I'd hold out for an intel ibook if I were you. Hmmm...decisions, decisions.

After G
Mar 15, 2006, 09:37 PM
To do what you have to do, PB.

sw1tcher
Mar 15, 2006, 10:32 PM
If you wanted to go that route; on Amazon the 12" iBook is listed at $999 with an additional $100 rebate. $899 w/ free shipping and no sales tax is a nice deal.

Or pick up a refurb from Apple for $799. Even with tax, it's still a much better deal than the Amazon one. You just have to keep an eye out because the refurbs from Apple go quick.