Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget posts a video of Windows XP booting on the iMac submitted by narf2006. Narf2006 previously posted photos of the WindowsXP on the Mac on Monday as a possible solution to the WinXP on Mac Contest.

The infamous narf2006 has made good on his earlier promise to provide a video of Windows XP booting on an Intel-based iMac. While the video looks fairly convincing, we'll continue to reserve judgment at least until Colin Nederkoorn hands narf a check

The forum hosting the discussion about the contest were temporarily offline due to excess traffic. The solution is reportedly under testing at this time.

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
I can't say that I'd ever do this, but I understand that because of some software and work requirements that others might want to do this.

And if it leads to the sale of more Macs, I'm all for it. :D

PtMD

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2004
by the sea
w00t! The solution is currently in testing. I hope they see good results and the solution is published soon. I have a MBP just itching to try it out! :)

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
I think that he should invest in a tripod - He will get one cheap off Ebay

What was that boot loader with the white screen with the windows logo on it- it seemed to take a while before XP booted -could this be VM Ware under linux or a fake full screen movie being played on a Mac hence the shaky camera movements to hide things.

I can't why this persons shooting is so wobbly.

capran

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2003
Interesting. The "video is fairly convincing", I'd agree. Except for that odd initial boot screen, white with the Windows XP logo? I've NEVER seen that anywhere! XP boots on a PC with an initial black screen with the words Windows XP with the logo, and in 16 color VGA mode. Perhaps this is from the EFI-> BIOS hack the used?

But otherwise looks authentic to me. It's apparently missing a lot of drivers for system devices, I wonder where he can get those.

settledown

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
pittsburgh
It looks pretty real to me.

I'd wonder if they somehow pulled the vid cable and are using the iMac like an external monitor for a Win box.

But I'm just speculating.

This looks like they really got Windows running on a Mac. BIG QUESTION is if they can easily switch to boot in OS X?

capran

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2003
simie said:

Yes! Video quality was not so good, especially when he was moving around so much. It looks like he tried to focus on the CPU name on the System Properties window, but it was completely unreadable due to blurring and compression artifacts.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The hacker and Engineer in me says, "Cool, well done!", as I always like this type of "problem-solving" and whatnot. ;) :cool: Practically though, for me at least, it isn't that big of a deal. I use my Windows box very sparingly, and don't have a real need for having XP (or in the future, Vista) on my Mac. However that being said, if I could dual boot in this manner, I could pretty much get rid of my PC and only use my Mac for everything - so that would be nice. :cool:

I see this being very attractive for Mac users who need those 1 or 2 elusive Windows-only apps for their profession. This would also come in handy for web designers who use Macs but need to test their sites' compatibility with IE. :cool:

PtMD

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2004
by the sea
simie said:

I think the movement was in part due to the fact people were crying fake on the photos, the thought being a moving camera angle would be harder to fake.

rabatjoie

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2003
Paris
so i guess all those who called fake on the flickr photos yesterday have to eat their shoe now. *live* on macrumors :p :D

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
What format are the drives in these things? I'm confused because I thought XP doesn't recognize HFS. I guess I'm just slow...:confused:

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Cool video of an iMac G5 running VPC in full screen mode. No attempt at all in the video to prove it's an intel model.

macattack5

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2006
excuse my noobishness, but if you boot up windows on a mac will windows still run at the same speed as osx?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Twenty1 said:
I honestly think I'm motion sick after watching that video...

I think many other Mac purists would be sick after watching it as well, moreso due to the content rather than the motion itself however. ;) :cool:

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
Well hopefully this is legit... I want XP/ Vista onmy iMac.
Somethings are just so much better / smoother on Windows than on the Mac.

I would primarily use OSX 90% of the time. But for those odd things, or whatever... windows is handy.

w00t

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Jerry Spoon said:
I can't say that I'd ever do this, but I understand that because of some software and work requirements that others might want to do this.

And if it leads to the sale of more Macs, I'm all for it. :D
I'm for it so long as the people who buy them don't JUST use Windows. I don't want MacOS to be neglected, and I like to think that eventually it'll be as important to software developers as Windows is - even if this does mean an increase in security flaws found, it means Apple will have to work harder in that department.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This could have far reaching effects in the software industry..
Some good...Some bad...
Are developers going to just forget about OS X and stick with Windows?

I really believe if the solution is a viable one and doesn't break any laws it's going to force Steve Job's hand in making OS X for PeeCees..

Just watch..

And the solution is real...
It has been handed over to 9 people for testing
http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=1

PtMD

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2004
by the sea
rog said:
Cool video of an iMac G5 running VPC in full screen mode. No attempt at all in the video to prove it's an intel model.

The device manger hardware doesnt match up with VPC or VMWare. Not to mention this video is from the same solution currently in testing on the contest website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.