PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in front of your computer can kill you

peter2002
Jan 29, 2003, 06:25 PM
Sitting at a computer for long periods of time could kill you, according to a new study reported in the February 2003 edition of the European Respiratory Journal.

It says there is a risk of developing life-threatening blood clots from sitting for long periods at a computer, similar to a problem that has injured or killed some airline passengers on long flights.

The report centers on a case from New Zealand in which a young man who spent up to 18 hours a day sitting at his computer nearly died after developing a massive blood clot that formed in his leg veins, broke off and traveled to his lungs, a condition called pulmonary embolism.

This new disorder has been termed "e-thrombosis" by the authors to describe what may become the 21st century variant of thrombosis associated with immobility from prolonged sitting. This condition was first described in people sitting in deck chairs in air raid shelters during the Blitz in London and subsequently identified with prolonged air travel.

http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2003/01/27/daily44.html

Window PCs will kill you faster than Macs. ;)

Pete :D

dricci
Jan 29, 2003, 06:37 PM
Sitting for long periods _ANYWHERE_ is not good for you. Whether you're in front of the computer, tv, an airplane, or car/bus, your body doesn't know the difference. Just take frequent breaks and get up and strech for a minute or two, and you should be fine.

MacBandit
Jan 29, 2003, 06:40 PM
This recently came up in the discussion of airplanes. There are a few deaths a year from people taking extended airline flights and not moving durring that time. One such instance that very nearly became fatal involved a passenger being nearly crushed by a very large lady for a trans-Atlantic flight.

Doctor Q
Jan 29, 2003, 07:26 PM
There was a thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13273) about that airline passenger last October, which turned into a long discussion about bad American eating habits and personal responsibility.

I wonder how long you can stare at peter2002's post before it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy?

King Cobra
Jan 29, 2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
I wonder how long you can stare at peter2002's post before it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy?

It depends on how log you can hold your breath and not laugh.

BTW, doc: Hi, Schrodinger's cat. :p

Then again, I think some people can be more productive with having a lot of time on their hands. :rolleyes:

wdlove
Jan 30, 2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by dricci
Sitting for long periods _ANYWHERE_ is not good for you. Whether you're in front of the computer, tv, an airplane, or car/bus, your body doesn't know the difference. Just take frequent breaks and get up and strech for a minute or two, and you should be fine.

Very good advice. You can also exercise the arms & legs while at your desk.

Kid Red
Jan 30, 2003, 03:15 PM
I think a more interesting title wouldv'e been 'Watching TV can kill you" or "Having dinner with the family can kill you" or "Watching a movie at the theater can kill you" or "Seeing a play can kill you"

I mean come. Be specific. "Sitting for prolonged periods of time can cuase blot clots which if not treated can eventually become worse"

Rower_CPU
Jan 30, 2003, 03:24 PM
How about "Breathing can kill you."

It's a fact. Studies show that the more breaths you take, the closer you are to dying. ;)

G4scott
Jan 30, 2003, 04:47 PM
Life... Sexually transmitted, always fatal...

Doctor Q
Jan 30, 2003, 06:00 PM
We tend to think that the ideal work environment for a computer user is a desk or table with the computer in front of you and your books, manuals, phone, fax, copier, printer, stereo, mini-frig, etc. all within easy reach. Maybe it's smarter to put everything but the keyboard purposely out of reach so you have to get up to grab that fax or refill your 64-oz jolt cola.

wdlove
Jan 30, 2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red
I think a more interesting title wouldv'e been 'Watching TV can kill you" or "Having dinner with the family can kill you" or "Watching a movie at the theater can kill you" or "Seeing a play can kill you"

I mean come. Be specific. "Sitting for prolonged periods of time can cuase blot clots which if not treated can eventually become worse"

Can lead to death if not recognized an treated!