Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
London
I am thinking of getting a portable mini-disc player so that I can record music "out and about" at hopefully a high quality, with a real microphone attached.

My question for anyone else who does this, is can you set the mini-disc to record in mono, and get double the recording time?

I noticed that the Hi MDs can record uncompressed audio for about 1h30, but if I have a mic attached it would only be mono, and if I could get 3 hours of mono wave that would be ideal

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
no stereo mic? well, in either case, you can record in mono to get double the time. which model are you getting and have you seen the M-Audio Microtrack?

tobio

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
London
I haven't decided on any particular model yet, but was interested in the sony HiMD M10 or M100 because the software for those ones supports mac. It doesn't look like anyone other than sony do the HiMD recorders though.

I had initially dismissed the microtrack because it used CF Cards, but on closer inspection of the specs 24/96 samplerate and 1/4" mics :D:D that might suit me better overall.

Also in their video example clip, the guy is going about recording all the noises around the city, which is pretty much what I was intending to use it for.

hmmm.. interesting thanks!!

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
I read a review of the Microtrack in last month's Sound on Sound magazine (a respected audio engineering magazine here in the UK) and they absolutely raved about it. Definitely worth considering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.