Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
If you go to the Apple website and put an iMac in your cart, you will notice that not only is the shipping time on the low-end iMac at 2-3 weeks, but the other two 15" iMac shipping times have increased to 5-7 days and the 17" iMac is shipping in 7-10 days!!!

<--- * jumps up and down in excitement! * :D

Click here!

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Also, if you check MacPrices.com, you'll see that the CD-RW iMacs are out of stock everywhere but Amazon and the Apple store is completely out of iMacs.

If not tomorrow, then the next day I'm guessing.
smiley.gif

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I'm a little curious on this. I don't remember the last time Apple released updates for two different lines of Macs in a period of less than a week since the iMac. I realize Apple's slogan "Think Different", so keeping that in mind will keep me awake tonight. Ugh...sleepless nights. :cool:

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Hmm. great. just bought an iMac from a member here on the board (no shady eBay transaction this time).

Very happy with my purchase, though. But damn, wonder what is coming out?!@

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
Originally posted by MrMacman
Current Rumors state Early Feb.

One specific rumor states: Feb. 11th.

I think it wouldn't be until mid-Feb. personally...but one would think that they would still be selling iMacs if there are 14+ days until an update...but then again, why would they update just a few days after:confused: ? Ahh! So confusing! I think they'll come out at the same time as iLife, and iLife started shipping for Pre-Orders today (i read on this board), so mabye this Sat.? Sorry I am acting like a schizophrenic (spelling) but I have no idea...:confused:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Shipping times on iMacs have increased once again!!!

Originally posted by Shrek
If you go to the Apple website and put an iMac in your cart, you will notice that not only is the shipping time on the low-end iMac at 2-3 weeks, but the other two 15" iMac shipping times have increased to 5-7 days and the 17" iMac is shipping in 7-10 days!!![/URL]
Actually the low end iMac (15", CD-RW) has been on a 2-3 week leadtime for a while now (There have been other threads about it.) It looks like Apple has essentially dropped this model.

With the rest of the leadtrimes being no more then a week, it could be supplier issues or it could be the slowdown prior to the release of updates.

On an odd bit of speculation, Apple could be waiting for the flurry of Apple Store activity to slow down a bit before making the next announcement. (iMac next? Powerbook after that? Or would it be the other way around?)

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
Who here is thinking of getting a new iMac if they are released in the next 2 weeks?
I have had my iMac since they were first launched in Japan, and am very happy with it I won't be getting a new one for a while - but hope the updates are worthy of a lot of attention (like the AluBooks) I am seriously thinking of getting the 12" and selling my 14.1" iBook (although I love this machine too)
Imacs will grow consumer demand, but we still need a better upgrade to the pro line...

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Here's what I don't understand: If a model is going end-of-line, why are shipment times longer? Either they have them in stock or they don't. If not, the wait is forever; if they do, the wait should be no different than anything else. Are they trying to locate hidden supplies or something ("Hey, Larry, I found a whole bunch more of dem iMacs in this broom closet!")?

A long wait to me suggests either a lot of backorders or delayed supplies. Either relates to supply problems out of continuing production.

The only other reason is that the model will be replaced, and they will offer all purchasers the opportunity to order the newer version at the new price, and are simply taking orders on the new version now without telling anyone.

As for whether to buy one: I'm waiting to see the revisions. As things stand now, the low-end powermac is basically an iMac with a different form factor that can be built to order and have stuff added to it later. I'm guessing the specs on the top-end iMac will be similar, although probably with a superdrive. So the question will be: how much more for the powermac+superdrive+17" monitor vs. top-end iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.