PDA

View Full Version : Clamshell iBook/OS9 questions

danny_w
Mar 16, 2006, 01:45 PM
I just got a tangerine clamshell iBook w/ 64MB (1 slot free), 6GB hdd, OS9, MS Word 98, all install CDs, and matching USB floppy and Epson printer and extra battery all for $125. I doesn't have the Airport card, but everything seems to be in great shape.

1. Where is a good place to learn about these early iBooks and OS9? My only experience with Macs has been with OS X.

2. When I bought it I was told that the battery did not hold a charge (no surprise there!) and that she had an extra battery that came with it that she could never find how to use.

2a. When I power up using the ac adapter and the installed battery, the charge ring is orange (normal), the battery indicator in the top right looks about 4/5 full with a red arrow at the bottom, and the battery indicator in the bottom tray shows a battery with a plug across it but with all bars clear. Can I assume that means that for some reason the battery is not charging?

2b. When I power up using the ac adapter and the installed battery, the charge ring is orange (normal), the battery indicator in the top right shows a battery with a lightning bolt though it, and the battery indicator in the bottom tray shows a battery with a lightning bolt though it but with all bars clear. After a while the top indicator changes to a battery with an X over it, and the indicator on the bottom shows a plug only (no battery). Can I assume that means that the laptop tried to charge it and could not for some reason?

3. What is the best way to clean the plastic on the machine? Is window cleaner and a soft cloth OK?

EDIT: Also, what about expansion? Is there any advantage to expanding the memory beyond 64K for OS9? I understand that you can run OS X on these with enough memory, but I only want it for occaasional internet usage on the road, so I don't see any real point to that (but it might be interesting just to see it).

Eidorian
Mar 16, 2006, 02:07 PM
3. What is the best way to clean the plastic on the machine? Is window cleaner and a soft cloth OK?That's fine. Spray the clean on the cloth first and not directly on the laptop.

EDIT: Also, what about expansion? Is there any advantage to expanding the memory beyond 64K for OS9? I understand that you can run OS X on these with enough memory, but I only want it for occaasional internet usage on the road, so I don't see any real point to that (but it might be interesting just to see it).OS 9 should be able to read up to 1.5 GB of system RAM so upgrading it will help but you won't reach that limit. Check what firmware you have before you install OS X. It's in the Apple System Profiler.

Eniregnat
Mar 16, 2006, 02:24 PM
I just pulled the HD from my old damaged iTang. It worked a little over a month after I was hit by a car (with the computer in my bag) while riding my bike. There good machines. My moniker, Eniregnat comes from me being dyslexic and once owning a Tangerine iBook. I thought that the modern PowerBooks were difficult to take apart, no- the old iBooks beat any computer that I have ever disassembled.

I vaguely remember running OSX on the thing twords the end of it's life, but that was a couple of years ago. I had install CDs from another computer, I later bought Tiger, but since my iBook wasn't working, I didn't bother to send the disks in to Apple (+9$) to get install CDs. Tiger on a Clam (http://blog.hardmac.com/archives/tiger-on-clamshell-ibook)- This is how I would do it today, even with disassembly being a bear. PowerBookFixIt.com/iFixIt.com (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/49.0.0.html) has assembly and upgrade instructions. You can get a hard drive that is larger.

Mac Rumors is a good place to be if you want to learn about the older iBooks. Apple Insider (www.appleinsider.com[/URL) might be another, and back in the day, the iBookZone (now defunct), was a good place. Try using the Way Back Machine (http://www.archive.org/) to look at some of the older postings. You won't even need your boy Sherman (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054524/).

Re: The battery, Green = normal, on AC, not charging. A battery symbol with a line through it = bad battery.

RE: Plastic- clean it with a damp soft cloth or even windex. The Apple iClear or another other 2 application screen wipe will work best. The wet wipe cleans the screen, the dry wipe removes the liquid residue.

Re: (You haven't asked about this) the keyboard. With out the Airport card it is a little flexible. Make sure that you have the middle keyboard locking finger (around the f6) extended up. Use a small flat head. If your adventurous, putting something the size of an airport card, like a Swiss Army Card, under the keyboard, will fill the space and keep the keyboard from bouncing around. Or, get an Airport or Lucent card to fill that slot.

Do you have strange puffy stickers along the top by the function keys? If you do, you have a strange little thing that Apple tried, and then stopped doing. Apple included a set of white puffy stick on icons to help people remember what their hot-keys did. The F12 on mine was for TTS, so I put the yelling rooster sticker there. I wish Apple still had thoes stickers avalible. I liked them.

If you upgrade to OSX- Tiger, the machine came standard with os9, note that some old USB peripherals won't work.

I am quite sure that I ran os 10.1 on my old iTang, but I know I never loaded Tiger.

Eniregnat
Mar 16, 2006, 02:28 PM
OS 9 should be able to read up to 1.5 GB of system RAM so upgrading it will help but you won't reach that limit. Check what firmware you have before you install OS X. It's in the Apple System Profiler.

You will have to post your exact model number, or make and speed. Dependent on the model, you are ether limited to slotting one 128mb or one 256mb module. The base memory is hard soldered on. I would go to Crucial Memory (www.crucial.com) and see what you can put in it. Make sure that you choose the right machine type.

danny_w
Mar 16, 2006, 02:49 PM
You will have to post your exact model number, or make and speed. Dependent on the model, you are ether limited to slotting one 128mb or one 256mb module. The base memory is hard soldered on. I would go to Crucial Memory (www.crucial.com) and see what you can put in it. Make sure that you choose the right machine type.
It is a tangerine 300mHz with built-in 64MB memory.

Eniregnat
Mar 16, 2006, 03:27 PM
It is a tangerine 300mHz with built-in 64MB memory.

An iBook G3 300 MHz has one memory slot, that can accept a a max of 256mb of memory, totaling to 320mb. About a 70$ upgrade, you might be able to find it used elsewhere on the cheap. You can get an 80Gb drive for about $120. It may be a Phryic victory. Batteries run from about 80-110$ U.S. (http://www.laptopbattery.net/apple/)

What died on my computer was the screen, that's all. I'll sell you my Airport Card, memory, spare keyboard, 2 working bats, 1 close to death, 1 yo-yo power adapter etc.. heck I'll find the original iBook box if your interested Send me PM, if you game.

Perhaps I even have Apple stickers (not the puffy ones).

SmurfBoxMasta
Mar 16, 2006, 04:49 PM
OS 9.xx will run OK so so on 64mb, decent on 128, but really, really fast on 256.

320mb would be like icing on the cake :)

ITASOR
Mar 16, 2006, 04:57 PM
I suggest you put 320MB RAM in it and run 10.3.9.

Also, I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on my clamshell and it cleaned it up GREAT. Just don't use it on the physical trackpad area, screen, or keyboard.

It won't scratch even the rubbery spots, or shiny Apple.

mjstew33
Mar 16, 2006, 04:59 PM
An iBook G3 300 MHz has one memory slot, that can accept a a max of 256mb of memory, totaling to 320mb. About a 70$ upgrade, you might be able to find it used elsewhere on the cheap. You can get an 80Gb drive for about $120.
No, a 512MB stick will work too.

If you're just running OS 9, throw a 128MB card in there. Or even better, a 256.

Eidorian
Mar 16, 2006, 05:02 PM

If you're just running OS 9, throw a 128MB card in there. Or even better, a 256.You need the firmware update though for larger sticks of RAM.

danny_w
Mar 16, 2006, 05:02 PM

If you're just running OS 9, throw a 128MB card in there. Or even better, a 256.
I had seen references to the 512MB on the original iBook. Does it require a firmware upgrade or something? What level of firmware is needed if you know? And will 10.3 install cds for an iBook G4 work, or do you need a retail version?

Eidorian
Mar 16, 2006, 05:08 PM
I had seen references to the 512MB on the original iBook. Does it require a firmware upgrade or something? What level of firmware is needed if you know? And will 10.3 install cds for an iBook G4 work, or do you need a retail version?If you have 9.1 installed just go all the way to firmware 4.1.7.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75128

mjstew33
Mar 16, 2006, 05:12 PM
I had seen references to the 512MB on the original iBook. Does it require a firmware upgrade or something? What level of firmware is needed if you know? And will 10.3 install cds for an iBook G4 work, or do you need a retail version?
A friend of mine has one with a 512MB chip, he didn't have to install a firmware. No, 10.3 Install CDs will NOT work. I'd know, I've tried everything. You need a retail.

danny_w
Mar 16, 2006, 05:15 PM
A friend of mine has one with a 512MB chip. No, 10.3 Install CDs will NOT work. I'd know, I've tried everything. You need a retail.
Thanks for that info. For what I am using the iBook for, I don't think it would be worth it to upgrade to OS X.

mjstew33
Mar 16, 2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks for that info. For what I am using the iBook for, I don't think it would be worth it to upgrade to OS X.
Yeah, I don't think so either. I use my clamshell with IE 5.1 and it works great!

Get a 128MB chip at least though.