PDA

View Full Version : New iPod ad?!

p0intblank
Mar 16, 2006, 07:37 PM
At the end of That '70s Show tonight, I saw a new commercial for the iPod nano. It was compiled of a bunch of album art and definitely very cool. It wasn't anything like their usual silhouette ads. While I love those, this one was awesome. I was even thinking during the ad "this would make for one sweet iPod ad" and bam, there it is: iPod + iTunes

I know, I seem overexcited for a commercial, but it's what I do. :) Is this new or am I late to the party?

purplefariefire
Mar 16, 2006, 08:36 PM
:D Yeah, I saw this too.
I wasn't aware it was an iPod ad till the end, but I was also thinking... wow this is a rockin ad!
I've never seen it before.

Warbrain
Mar 16, 2006, 09:44 PM
I found the ad to be kind of lame. I thought that it was going to end up being some stupid Napster commercial showing "all the different albums that are available at our store." It's lame, I like the dancing ads better.

G5Unit
Mar 16, 2006, 09:51 PM
Is there a link to it?

eyeluvmyimac
Mar 16, 2006, 10:24 PM
The ad has been posted, http://www.apple.com/ipod/ads/ I like it.

Salasm
Mar 16, 2006, 10:30 PM
It's on Apple's home page.

Does anyone know about the iptc:// protocol? Clicking on the link takes you directly to the iTunes podcast download window.

balamw
Mar 16, 2006, 10:33 PM
I like it!

An early indication of other changes to come in the next few weeks?

B

Glenn Wolsey
Mar 16, 2006, 10:34 PM
Awesome, watching for the second time now :D

mrwildguitar
Mar 16, 2006, 10:35 PM
I like it.

I don't know why seeing as I always fast forward through commercials.

iMeowbot
Mar 16, 2006, 10:42 PM
Does anyone know about the iptc:// protocol? Clicking on the link takes you directly to the iTunes podcast download window.
itpc: (iTunes podcast) is a local protocol that iTunes installs. If you take any ordinary podcast XML feed and substitute itpc: for the http: prefix, iTunes will try to deal with it. It's very much like the feed: prefix used by Safari for "regular" RSS.

& about the new iPod ad: Meh.

runninmac
Mar 16, 2006, 10:49 PM
I like the commercial, so far, as ive only seen 1/2 of it because something, maybe apples servers or my connection is so fricken slow. Does anyone else have this problem with Quicktime recently?

~Shard~
Mar 16, 2006, 10:53 PM
Just watched it off Apple's main page - I like it! Nice to see something other than just the usual dancing silhouettes. :cool:

m-dogg
Mar 16, 2006, 11:12 PM
I like it.

Those other dancing silhouette ads have run their course. It's good to see they're finally doing some different.

homerjward
Mar 16, 2006, 11:21 PM
i get this error trying to play the 1080p or 720p videos....haven't tried the ipod format one. any ideas why? also, norton told me something was trying to execute something similar to a quicktime buffer overflow exploit.
windows xp sp2, fully updated, norton av 2005, firefox 1.5 final with no extensions.

Phobophobia
Mar 16, 2006, 11:36 PM
It would have been funnier if a plane made of album art crashed into the buildings and made them fall into the iPod LOL.

runninmac
Mar 16, 2006, 11:44 PM
It would have been funnier if a plane made of album art crashed into the buildings and made them fall into the iPod LOL.

Some how I just can't find the slightest bit of humor out of that...

Phat_Pat
Mar 16, 2006, 11:51 PM
ohhhhhhh 1080 HD glory...

Phobophobia
Mar 17, 2006, 12:28 AM
Some how I just can't find the slightest bit of humor out of that...

I know, lol. Neither can I. But it would be funny if they did. Just because it would be so tasteless, and ppl would be all like "wtf is this?!".

Doctor Q
Mar 17, 2006, 12:44 AM
The song is Cubicle by Rinrse.

t bd sg!

DevilDog
Mar 17, 2006, 12:53 AM
Hmmm... notice how they go in the CENTER of the top of the nano???:cool:

Kingsly
Mar 17, 2006, 01:33 AM

t bd sg!
LOL! :) You made my day.

mongoos150
Mar 17, 2006, 02:02 AM

Um...definitely not funny.

MacQuest
Mar 17, 2006, 02:07 AM
HEY ARN-

You misspelled "Television" in the threads heading on the main page. Also, don't you think that it would be interesting to point out that the ad is offered in HD? I think that says alot in a secretive, Apple-ish way.

Please don't ban me for pointing this out. ;)

I see this as a perfect way to start introducing a true video iPod and an accompanying movie service [with HD options?!] in the next couple of weeks. If Apple starts offering movies in regular and HD resolution, NetfFlix is done!

I'll bet that they already have an HD commercial for both the vPod and the movie service and will introduce them at a press conference the week before April 1st [the 28th], that will announce an anniversary event on April 1st and immediate availability of the vPod/iPod AV at that event.

That's weak. I just got un-banned for making a direct comment to someone's stupidity last week and I don't feel like going through that again.

It's almost worth it to tell you how I really feel about you though.

Kingsly
Mar 17, 2006, 02:15 AM
*crickets*

Trowaman
Mar 17, 2006, 02:37 AM

For some reason, I just don't get the joke here. Seriously, not funny nor relevant.

In fact, death never is funny.

ModestPenguin
Mar 17, 2006, 02:40 AM
I was a fan of the Silhoettes spelling intended but its time for a new change i guess and this is a cool way to go about it. I like the album art alot. Actually when I got my imac and set the screensaver for the itunes album art thing i just sat and stared. it made me sooo happy:D :D :D

happyjaxx
Mar 17, 2006, 02:46 AM
I bought two of their albums:
BTW: they're from Montpellier, a pretty nice town in southern france, plenty of students !

Schizophonia: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=80869010&s=143442

Music Kills Me: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?id=40700536&s=143442

I really don't know how to get in touch with iTMS (US or FR) because there's a bug in this groups listings... I even tried the "Ask a song" link in the menu with no answer, I'm retrying. You can't get this groups albums listed at once... Like if "Music Kills Me" was linked to a separate "Rinrse"

====
eventually:
There's also another problem, probably a badly translated string:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxxdotorg/113646771/

kozmic stu
Mar 17, 2006, 03:05 AM
In fact, death never is funny.

You've obviously never seen the Darwin Awards (http://www.darwinawards.com)

That is some hilarious stuff

Stu

iPie
Mar 17, 2006, 03:22 AM

Stu

Stu, Thanks for this great post (seems the Taliban of humour have been on this site).

Here is a personal death favourite of mine:

http://sounds.wavcentral.com/movies/monty/denver_strangle.mp3

(good point austin.xstone! - it's nice to laugh once in a while though...)

InTheBand
Mar 17, 2006, 03:27 AM

Stu

Even the reader's comments are hilarious!

Austin.xstone
Mar 17, 2006, 03:47 AM
Thats some nice animation, good to see a change in the adds now and then.

I loved how it all becomes a city of music. And death, in one or two ways can be funny - but thats kinda off topic!

Sabenth
Mar 17, 2006, 04:32 AM
i saw this add a couple of weeks ago here in the uk i wonder if it was uk based seeming u guys have only just seen it there bombarding us with imac intel chip adds now too

rebhaf
Mar 17, 2006, 04:41 AM
i saw this add a couple of weeks ago here in the uk i wonder if it was uk based seeming u guys have only just seen it there bombarding us with imac intel chip adds now too

I live in France and we usually get all the same ads as the UK, at the same time (as does most of Europe, I guess). But I haven't seen any commercials or print ads about Intel-based Macs here. What do they look like (the ads, I mean -- not the chips)? I have seen the new iPod nano ad.

nertzy
Mar 17, 2006, 04:46 AM
The 1080p HD version of the ad is not really high definition. It looks like they just took the low definition original and sized it up to 1080p, which is wasteful and unimpressive.

liketom
Mar 17, 2006, 04:55 AM
about time they did some HD adverts

is it me or does the 720p one look kinda blocky ?:D

Sabenth
Mar 17, 2006, 04:57 AM
its just that bloke of 24 doing a voice over with some intel blokes waving a round disk around and then u see the imac its not exsactly intresting

happyjaxx
Mar 17, 2006, 05:00 AM
I live in France and we usually get all the same ads as the UK, at the same time (as does most of Europe, I guess). But I haven't seen any commercials or print ads about Intel-based Macs here. What do they look like (the ads, I mean -- not the chips)? I have seen the new iPod nano ad.

You've gotta be joking ;-)

They're on air since a while in france... at least 3 weeks

Something like "Depuis la nuit des temps, les processeurs intel font des taches répétitives et rébarbatives dans des PC.... etc..."

Actually, I used to be a bit "Purist" and was against the chip switch, but well, as a Unix freak, I accept it... after all, it's supposed to be portable... I'm sure Apple folks even tried compiling it and booting it on a Sparc ;-)

PS: I often see better Ads going on air in UK than here in France... even for French car brands like Peugot, I love the 1007 ad (Music from Simian) with that black and white beast eating everything that gets in the main caracters way ;-) ... In france it's only 20/30 seconds long and you don't even get the point of it, where in UK it's 1:31

Shamus
Mar 17, 2006, 05:31 AM
its just that bloke of 24 doing a voice over with some intel blokes waving a round disk around and then u see the imac its not exsactly intresting

umm....correct me if im wrong....but i think you are watching the wrong ad....

go here: http://www.apple.com/ipod/ads/ :)

Chundles
Mar 17, 2006, 05:41 AM
umm....correct me if im wrong....but i think you are watching the wrong ad....

go here: http://www.apple.com/ipod/ads/ :)

He was talking about the Intel switch ad.

Shamus
Mar 17, 2006, 05:51 AM
He was talking about the Intel switch ad.

Sorry, my mistake.

I thought that was a pretty cool ad personally.

eXan
Mar 17, 2006, 05:51 AM
Yes, this ad is pretty nice. I just wish they used regular iPods in it instead of nano :)

macOSX-tastic
Mar 17, 2006, 05:52 AM
i like it: a new and original direction for apple ads.

S

Jay42
Mar 17, 2006, 05:56 AM
Just watched this over at Apple.com, definitely my favorite iPod ad to date (although I also like the original nano commercial).

Max on Macs
Mar 17, 2006, 06:09 AM
I've seen this ad a few times in the last week or so here in the UK. And I've seen a hell of a lot of the Intel chip ads too. Apple has gone from very rarely showing an ad on UK TV to showing loads of them. Well, I guess that could lead to new switchers, so I'm all for it :)

P.S. Watched the ad in HD on the apple web site just now and it looks great on my B&O BeoVision 6 TV, I can't wait until Sky unrolls their full HD TV service! That or Apple could do me a deal with iTMS!

Cubert
Mar 17, 2006, 06:23 AM
Well, that certainly is sweet. Now, I want to see an equally sweet commercial showing how Tiger kicks Winblows XP's @$$!!!!

Come on Apple, advertise!!!

BornAgainMac
Mar 17, 2006, 06:45 AM
I used a PC to view the HD commerical and it crashed. :mad:

I can't believe nobody commented on the lack of Mac commericals yet. It would be cool if Macs were as popular as iPods in 2007 with the general public.

BornAgainMac
Mar 17, 2006, 06:48 AM
Well, that certainly is sweet. Now, I want to see an equally sweet commercial showing how Tiger kicks Winblows XP's @$$!!!!

Come on Apple, advertise!!!

Yes, I want to see that one. Tiger would spank XP in front of a live audience.

DTphonehome
Mar 17, 2006, 06:51 AM
Wow! What a rumor!

mjstew33
Mar 17, 2006, 07:00 AM
I like it!! :)

flyfish29
Mar 17, 2006, 07:06 AM

OK, so one of the first things I thought of was the buildings falling- but DEFINITELY NOT FUNNY- especially if you taught one of the 9/11 pilot's children while you were a teacher! Think before you post!:mad:

cxny
Mar 17, 2006, 07:15 AM
Apple has some very creative poeple working for them, I like the fresh look.

Now who's going to watch it frame by frame and figure out all the Albums?
You can bet some poor geek w/ too much time on his hands will try...

mixel
Mar 17, 2006, 07:26 AM
Geeks with too much time on their hands??? On MacRumors? ;)

I liked the ad a lot. I like the silhouette ones too, but more ads is always good! I've seen a lot of the intel switch ad on uk tv too.. Nice one Apple.

Detlev
Mar 17, 2006, 07:27 AM
It's ok. It follows the coolness of the billion download countdown and the screen-saver. The cityscape is not so poignant (yes, I get what they are saying), the music is rather shocking (loud and in your face), and the length is once again short enough that they are not communicating anything other than, it's cool (hey, if that is where they want to be, then fineimage is everything, right).

Aarow
Mar 17, 2006, 07:39 AM
Cool ad. The only album I recognised was a Beastie Boys one, and that's because the cover said Beastie Boys!

justflie
Mar 17, 2006, 08:32 AM
pretty cool ad, caught me offguard without the dancing! When Vista is about to ship (ie 4 years from now), Apple should start posting ads along of the lines of macTV podcasts that point out all the things that Micro$uck is "borrowing" from Tiger and OS X(2 years too late). Then they should be like, hey, we have better looking computers AND a new OS about to launch. Forget windows, they're 2 years behind!

MacMosher
Mar 17, 2006, 08:34 AM
Just watched it off Apple's main page - I like it! Nice to see something other than just the usual dancing silhouettes. :cool:
Really?
I love the silhouettes, not that I dont like this one. I just like the silhouettes better.

psychboy
Mar 17, 2006, 08:34 AM
I know, lol. Neither can I. But it would be funny if they did. Just because it would be so tasteless, and ppl would be all like "wtf is this?!".
You can't find the humor, but you think it would be funny. :confused: Maybe you mean "unexpected"?

Anyway, I think the commercial is okay. Nothing to write home about...but I guess that isn't the point of an ad for a product that's already been on the market for a while.

balamw
Mar 17, 2006, 08:37 AM
Cool ad. The only album I recognised was a Beastie Boys one, and that's because the cover said Beastie Boys!
You need to get out and listen to more music! ;)

Or maybe I just recognised more since I'm in the same age group (i.e. old) as the creative folks who chose the album covers? Now I'm depressed.

B

revmac
Mar 17, 2006, 08:37 AM

Sick... Great way to tank Apple. Bring up images of terrorism and the WTC and connect it to Apple. That is a great ad idea... for Osama Bin Laden.

adamcz
Mar 17, 2006, 08:38 AM
Yes, this ad is pretty nice. I just wish they used regular iPods in it instead of nanoThey can't do that because the regular iPod is getting replaced in just a couple weeks. No point in building a campaign around it now.

At least that's what I'm hoping for.;)

william1949
Mar 17, 2006, 08:45 AM
I liked the ad up to when the buildings start to break apart and I started to think 9/11, but it redeemed itself by going into the iPod - I think this could have been avoided by having the buildings sucked up into an iPod instead (the bottom of the iPod).
The silhouette ads were truly inspired - how many of you think iPod when you see the white cord going upto someones ears. It's like an ad that runs everywhere, everyday.

Xephian
Mar 17, 2006, 08:54 AM
Lol, I think that's funny.

kev0476
Mar 17, 2006, 09:03 AM
All i find from this ad is that they aren't going to change the nano sometime soon

For the video i hope if they make the screen bigger i hope they make it so the current ipod can support it for connecting it to a tv.

funkychunkz
Mar 17, 2006, 09:12 AM
They should have all of the albums make a card castle, and then one of the silhouette dancers could knock it over with a foot.

TimUSCA
Mar 17, 2006, 09:15 AM
The Nirvana - Nevermind album stands out big time at the top of the building with the close-up...

$20 says they have to edit the commerical because some retard complains that there's a baby's penis on television.

Seriously, anyone want to take that bet?

funkychunkz
Mar 17, 2006, 09:16 AM
I liked the ad up to when the buildings start to break apart and I started to think 9/11, but it redeemed itself by going into the iPod - I think this could have been avoided by having the buildings sucked up into an iPod instead (the bottom of the iPod).
The silhouette ads were truly inspired - how many of you think iPod when you see the white cord going upto someones ears. It's like an ad that runs everywhere, everyday.

I'm a walking talking ipod ad!!! YAY!

About the sucking, bottom would be cooler, then it could build up pressure blast off like a rocket leaving the battery behind/ the screen could burst.

killmoms
Mar 17, 2006, 09:21 AM
This commercial is awesome. Doubly so since I caught the album art for My Bloody Valentine's legendary album "Loveless" in there. Props to Apple for a nice, new, different iPod ad.

p0intblank
Mar 17, 2006, 09:32 AM
They can't do that because the regular iPod is getting replaced in just a couple weeks. No point in building a campaign around it now.

At least that's what I'm hoping for.;)

If the true iPod video is released soon, I don't see it replacing the current iPod. Not everyone wants a full-screen iPod with digital touch screen controls. Now myself... of course I would want it. :D

And, funkychunkz, I really like that ad idea. That would've been pretty awesome. :D

rye9
Mar 17, 2006, 09:34 AM
That is the coolest commercial ever.

Also, don't you think that it would be interesting to point out that the ad is offered in HD? I think that says alot in a secretive, Apple-ish way.

Do you think Apple will release HD iPods or something? :rolleyes: :D

If the true iPod video is released soon, I don't see it replacing the current iPod.

I could even see a 5G iPod with a smaller HD, like they did with the nano. (added a 1GB nano) Does anyone else see this happening or am I just dreaming?

Warbrain
Mar 17, 2006, 09:54 AM

It would've been quite hilarious. It would've been as funny as the Starbuck's posters with the bugs flying towards two cups that people said were arranged like the WTC and got their panties in a bunch over it. Click here to read about this: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/cool.htm

It was a joke, get over it. Personally, 9/11 is something that people need to laugh about or at least get over it. But I'll probably be flamed about that.

Warbrain
Mar 17, 2006, 09:55 AM
The Nirvana - Nevermind album stands out big time at the top of the building with the close-up...

$20 says they have to edit the commerical because some retard complains that there's a baby's penis on television.

Seriously, anyone want to take that bet?

I'd take that.

Shaker
Mar 17, 2006, 10:01 AM
Pretty cool digital effects. Nicely done overall.

I do wish that they would showcase some of their other hardware (iMacs, Macbook Pros) and how they really stand out. An ad that combined the iPod and iMac (given how close they are in design) would be great.

p0intblank
Mar 17, 2006, 10:12 AM
Pretty cool digital effects. Nicely done overall.

I do wish that they would showcase some of their other hardware (iMacs, Macbook Pros) and how they really stand out. An ad that combined the iPod and iMac (given how close they are in design) would be great.

You'd think they would, but I just don't get it... come on, Apple! I would love for them to advertise how easy iLife is.

miketcool
Mar 17, 2006, 10:19 AM
Wow! What a rumor!

Agreed.

I did see the commercial while watching Late Night with Conan O'Brien. This was, ironically, after I had bought his Finland episode only hours earlier from iTMS. Commerical worked though; I thought Apple immediately after it began.:D

dernhelm
Mar 17, 2006, 10:26 AM
Maybe this signals the end of the silhouette ads. Wouldn't bother me none. I liked them OK, but they were getting a little old...

Shaker
Mar 17, 2006, 11:08 AM
You'd think they would, but I just don't get it... come on, Apple! I would love for them to advertise how easy iLife is.

Now that would be great. If they can sell the ease of use of iLife in a 30 second ad, it would be impressive.

Mac_Freak
Mar 17, 2006, 11:22 AM
COOL :D Apple has done a good job with this one.

Doctor Q
Mar 17, 2006, 11:35 AM
This MacRumors story has over 75% positive ratings.

Apple seems to have produced an ad we like, and we can be a picky crowd.

sam10685
Mar 17, 2006, 11:51 AM
I like it!

An early indication of other changes to come in the next few weeks?

B

i like it too! lets hope it is an early indication of wonderfulness... ;)

rickvanr
Mar 17, 2006, 11:53 AM
I just thought I'd add;

I saw an add for a jazz band, which is new to itunes. It was done in the silhouette style, and it was new to me.

EDIT::it is 'iTunes + iPod TV Ad featuring Wynton Marsalis'

sam10685
Mar 17, 2006, 11:59 AM

pretty much everyone i know that is alive has a brain. please USE it before u post...

technicolor
Mar 17, 2006, 12:01 PM
I just thought I'd add;

I saw an add for a jazz band, which is new to itunes. It was done in the silhouette style, and it was new to me.

EDIT::it is 'iTunes + iPod TV Ad featuring Wynton Marsalis'
both ads are great!

sam10685
Mar 17, 2006, 12:02 PM

t bd sg!

how would u pronounce that?

rickvanr
Mar 17, 2006, 12:04 PM
both ads are great!

Yeah, I just watched the one being discussed here and it rocks!

boncellis
Mar 17, 2006, 12:12 PM
Here I thought I would be reading post after post about how this advertisement tipped off the "braintrust" to the forthcoming ubiquity of HD content available from iTunes.

I don't mean to come off as disappointed, but I do love it when the crazy interpretations start getting 6 and 7 pages deep. I suppose I'll have to settle with 4 pages of "wow, cool ad."

Dagless
Mar 17, 2006, 12:16 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't like that ad. Can't put my finger on why.

MrManFitz
Mar 17, 2006, 12:29 PM
I had my own idea for an iPod commercial a year or so ago when I was ripping my CD's into iTunes. I took a picture of every CD I ripped and imported it into this video. I think it turned out pretty good. What do you think?

What's in your pocket? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE2tUZcVhGE) (video)

Cheers!

DVNIEL
Mar 17, 2006, 12:36 PM
I think that this would rock as a screen saver to replace the current album artwork screen saver built into OSX. Instead of using all the albums from their it would use the albums that we have on our iTunes. Awesome commercial

Multimedia
Mar 17, 2006, 12:37 PM
I imagine it took a very long time to create that ad. I wonder how it was done. Maybe with Motion2? I love it. :D

Multimedia
Mar 17, 2006, 12:42 PM
I had my own idea for an iPod commercial a year or so ago when I was ripping my CD's into iTunes. I took a picture of every CD I ripped and imported it into this video. I think it turned out pretty good. What do you think?

Cheers!Good job. How many frames per CD?

p0intblank
Mar 17, 2006, 12:44 PM

Cheers!

I like it. I also posted a comment there. :) How long did it take? :eek:

quigleybc
Mar 17, 2006, 12:49 PM
Is this whole front page thread just about a commercial?

iEric
Mar 17, 2006, 01:07 PM
I just wonder why this is front page news? should it be on page 2? :confused:

other than that, the commercial is really cool. I wasn't really paying close attention, but i did see they used Brandy's old cd. I thought that was pretty sad. lol oh brandy. who does she thinks she is...

did apple have to get the permission of all those record labels or whatever so that they could put the cover art in the commercial? if so that must have taken forever.:o

MrManFitz
Mar 17, 2006, 01:09 PM
I like it. I also posted a comment there. :) How long did it take? :eek:

Taking the pictures didn't take long. Once I got the framing and lighting to be sufficient, it took about 20 minutes to get through aprox. 250 CD's.

The work went into importing all those single frames into iMovie and then performing edits to those frames in bulk (on a 400MHz G4). I got the pace of it pretty close to how I wanted it. I think each album cover gets about .5 seconds of screen time.

Thanks for the comments.

p0intblank
Mar 17, 2006, 01:18 PM
Taking the pictures didn't take long. Once I got the framing and lighting to be sufficient, it took about 20 minutes to get through aprox. 250 CD's.

The work went into importing all those single frames into iMovie and then performing edits to those frames in bulk (on a 400MHz G4). I got the pace of it pretty close to how I wanted it. I think each album cover gets about .5 seconds of screen time.

Thanks for the comments.

Cool stuff... especially on a 400 MHz G4! :eek: I should try making an ad like you did. I think it'd be fun. :D

jbembe
Mar 17, 2006, 01:25 PM
My absolute favorite feature of the video???

1. The first album cover shown is Beck's "Guero". (Odelay and Sea Change are also shown quite early as well...)

2. The third album cover shown is Cream's "Disraeli Gears".

Impeccable choices.

amac4me
Mar 17, 2006, 01:32 PM
Check out this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=187380

You can get a 2GB nano at overstock.com for $177. Some of you may recall that prior to releasing the nano last year, the iPod mini's showed up on Overstock for sale.

Furthermore, there have been rumors that a new Video iPod may be released soon, perhaps as early as April 1, 2006 - Apple's 30th anniversary.

Ja Di ksw
Mar 17, 2006, 01:57 PM
You may be able to laugh about 9/11. Perhaps you are just over it, or perhaps that is how you deal with it, or maybe there is another reason. However, keep in mind that not everyone is at the same place, and to be careful of what will hurt others. Some people are still very hurt by comments like the ones that have been made, so please don't post them.

On to the topic . . .

I personally liked it, thought it was very neat and flowing. Not as good of an ad as the originals, SIMPLY because those made the white headphones more prominent, so everyone who was wearing them would remind others of iPods. The album art is less likely to, because album art goes with anything. Again, though, I liked the ad.

The music was annoying, though that's personal taste. I'll mute it next time.

Rocketman
Mar 17, 2006, 02:01 PM
Would SOMEONE please edit this ad to use the soundtrack "We built this city" and upload it to a mirror!

Rocketman

:)

Rocketman
Mar 17, 2006, 02:07 PM
Here I thought I would be reading post after post about how this advertisement tipped off the "braintrust" to the forthcoming ubiquity of HD content available from iTunes.

I don't mean to come off as disappointed, but I do love it when the crazy interpretations start getting 6 and 7 pages deep. I suppose I'll have to settle with 4 pages of "wow, cool ad."

This is the initial foray into "format selection". A default format (QT low-res in this case) and the option for 720 or 1080 (didn't run well on a PMG4800). Very cool indeed.

I was thinking from a different perspective. This ad was "saved as" those formats from an even BETTER format.

Digital theater movie format!

Sinatra to Nirvana. I get it :) I saw eminem too :)

Frame by frame.

Rocketman

Mac Fly (film)
Mar 17, 2006, 02:14 PM
1080p ran perfectly with no frame drop, seamless!

on my iMacintel:D 1.83duo

dejo
Mar 17, 2006, 02:43 PM
This is the initial foray into "format selection". A default format (QT low-res in this case) and the option for 720 or 1080 (didn't run well on a PMG4800). Very cool indeed.

This is the inital foray? Um, have you been following their movie trailers for the last few months? Cuz that's where it started.

Tupring
Mar 17, 2006, 02:46 PM
i get this error trying to play the 1080p or 720p videos....haven't tried the ipod format one. any ideas why? also, norton told me something was trying to execute something similar to a quicktime buffer overflow exploit.
windows xp sp2, fully updated, norton av 2005, firefox 1.5 final with no extensions.That PeeCee is your problem...:D

freeny
Mar 17, 2006, 03:00 PM
You know its a slow day here at MR when a new tv commercial is the top story:rolleyes:

Tupring
Mar 17, 2006, 03:04 PM
It would have been funnier if a plane made of album art crashed into the buildings and made them fall into the iPod LOL.Oh, that's just wrong! But very funny.

LaMerVipere
Mar 17, 2006, 03:19 PM
I don't like it.

bigandy
Mar 17, 2006, 03:47 PM
that's a rather nice one!

great departure from the norm...

Must.Get.nano!
Mar 17, 2006, 03:48 PM
At the end of That '70s Show tonight, I saw a new commercial for the iPod nano. It was compiled of a bunch of album art and definitely very cool. It wasn't anything like their usual silhouette ads. While I love those, this one was awesome. I was even thinking during the ad "this would make for one sweet iPod ad" and bam, there it is: iPod + iTunes

I know, I seem overexcited for a commercial, but it's what I do. :) Is this new or am I late to the party?

I saw the ad too, oddly enough, after watching that 70's show:p

what I thought was even cooler like 15 seconds in the commercial, I knew it was a commercial for Apple. And I was right:p

Electro Funk
Mar 17, 2006, 03:51 PM
It would've been quite hilarious. It would've been as funny as the Starbuck's posters with the bugs flying towards two cups that people said were arranged like the WTC and got their panties in a bunch over it.

It was a joke, get over it. Personally, 9/11 is something that people need to laugh about or at least get over it. But I'll probably be flamed about that.

WOW... I don't even know what to say to you... :confused:

What if your Mother/Father/Wife/Husbund/Child/Friend were in one of the towers when they collapsed... I dont think it would be so easy to "Laugh About"...

"just get over it"... thats some great advice to give to little suzie after she has been told she no longer has a father.... :mad:

sorry to get off topic here...:(

Must.Get.nano!
Mar 17, 2006, 04:03 PM

What if your Mother/Father/Wife/Husbund/Child/Friend were in one of the towers when they collapsed... I dont think it would be so easy to "Laugh About"...

"just get over it"... thats some great advice to give to little suzie after she has been told she no longer has a father.... :mad:

I thought the idea would be quite funny too.

Electro Funk
Mar 17, 2006, 04:12 PM
I thought the idea would be quite funny too.

Who cares about the idea... but when warbrain said 9/11 is something people should laugh about & people need to get over it...

i must say I DISAGREE COMPLETELY!

just my opinion of course;)

Phobophobia
Mar 17, 2006, 05:47 PM

It wouldn't be funny if Apple made the ad. They'd probably be sued. But the suggestion of it is indeed funny, to some people. Including me. People write angry responses as if I caused 9/11. Whatever helps you cope, people.

You can always find something to be upset about, or... you can choose to be happy and find humor in things. I choose to be happy. Why spend your life being upset by things that are intended to upset you? (9/11)

Thanks

boncellis
Mar 17, 2006, 06:44 PM
This is the inital foray? Um, have you been following their movie trailers for the last few months? Cuz that's where it started.

You're right, but I see his point too. The selection in resolution is slightly more visible this way, in my opinion. The first TV network to offer this choice will kick the door open once and for all.

Ja Di ksw
Mar 17, 2006, 07:01 PM
It wouldn't be funny if Apple made the ad. They'd probably be sued. But the suggestion of it is indeed funny, to some people. Including me. People write angry responses as if I caused 9/11. Whatever helps you cope, people.

You can always find something to be upset about, or... you can choose to be happy and find humor in things. I choose to be happy. Why spend your life being upset by things that are intended to upset you? (9/11)

Thanks

No one is saying you caused it. What people ARE saying is that some people are really upset by trivializing 9/11. You obviously aren't. But can't you respect that other people are?

Will_reed
Mar 17, 2006, 09:09 PM
I was a bit disapointed that it wasn't 16:9 widescreen.

InTheBand
Mar 18, 2006, 12:53 AM
Also, don't you think that it would be interesting to point out that the ad is offered in HD? I think that says alot in a secretive, Apple-ish way.

Do you think Apple will release HD iPods or something? :rolleyes: :D

Hehehe. "Introducing our all new HD capable 4" display iPod... the Apple iSquint". :D

I'm sure MacQuest meant HD content becoming available on Apple's new iMovie Video Store [iMVS].

winmacguy
Mar 18, 2006, 03:57 AM
Some one on these forums seems to be into very dark humour...:rolleyes:

simX
Mar 18, 2006, 02:54 PM
No one is saying you caused it. What people ARE saying is that some people are really upset by trivializing 9/11. You obviously aren't. But can't you respect that other people are?

Yes, I can respect people that get upset over the September 11th attacks because they've lost a loved one in the collapse of the towers. But at some point, enough is enough, and some people who get upset lost no one. People in this world take offense over way too many things, and people take themselves way too seriously, and it just gets annoying after a while.

Dark humor has nothing to do with it. I think it's amusing in itself that people immediately think of the World Trade Center towers when they see album cover art stacking up into buildings. I mean, what's the association? Do you think of the WTC towers when you see any tall building, much less one made of album art? :rolleyes:

If you don't see the humor in the original suggestion, I'd suggest you go to YTMND.com (http://www.ytmnd.com/), browse around, get a sense of humor for the absurd, and then come back and talk to us again.

flyfish29
Mar 18, 2006, 03:09 PM
Dark humor has nothing to do with it. I think it's amusing in itself that people immediately think of the World Trade Center towers when they see album cover art stacking up into buildings. I mean, what's the association? Do you think of the WTC towers when you see any tall building, much less one made of album art? :rolleyes:

While I totally agree people take things too seriously, I never thought of 9/11 until the album art building began to fall to the ground- then it very much resembled that day. No I don't (and don't think most do) think of 9/11 when I see tall building and if they had not fallen the way the actual buildings sort of did most if not all would have had no thoughts of 9/11.

~Shard~
Mar 18, 2006, 03:28 PM
Hehehe. "Introducing our all new HD capable 4" display iPod... the Apple iSquint". :D

Sorry, that name's already taken by a very useful app (http://www.isquint.com/) in case you didn't know. :p ;) :cool:

Phobophobia
Mar 18, 2006, 05:19 PM

I didn't trivialize anything. It's called having a sense of humor. And I respect that it upset other people. That's why they were allowed to write angry responses.

Ja Di ksw
Mar 19, 2006, 01:36 AM
I didn't trivialize anything. It's called having a sense of humor. And I respect that it upset other people. That's why they were allowed to write angry responses.

That's not really respecting it. That is the equivalent of saying, "I respect someone's property, that's why they can sue me if I break it." If you respected it, you wouldn't upset them in the first place.

MacQuest
Mar 19, 2006, 04:58 AM
...I never thought of 9/11 until the album art building began to fall to the ground- then it very much resembled that day...

I've seen several people post on here that maybe it would have been better if the albums went in the iPod through the bottom [since the dock connector is down there and that is technically were the music goes into the iPod], but that would just look dumb IMO.

Phobophobia's comment upset me not because the commercial reminded me of 9/11 sub-conciuosly, but because he did consciously in a very specific and tasteless manner.

I understand that we have freedom of speech, but use your common sense. I was expecting phobophobia to follow up his post with a "Instead of the buildings crumbling from being hit by an album art plane, wouldn't it be cool if they exploded at you instead?" comment or something.

That would have crossed the line, phobophobia.

celebrian23
Mar 19, 2006, 01:51 PM
I like this ad so much better than the other ones. I personally think the older ones look really stupid, but that's probably just me. This new commercial has a pretty cool concept (the first time I saw it it didn't remind me of 9/11 in any way, though after pointing it out I can see how someone could see it)

Phobophobia
Mar 19, 2006, 02:39 PM
That's not really respecting it. That is the equivalent of saying, "I respect someone's property, that's why they can sue me if I break it." If you respected it, you wouldn't upset them in the first place.

Ok.

chimerical
Mar 20, 2006, 01:45 AM
Apple has some very creative poeple working for them, I like the fresh look.

Now who's going to watch it frame by frame and figure out all the Albums?
You can bet some poor geek w/ too much time on his hands will try...

Haha. Well, I don't know about figuring out all the albums, but anyone want to guess which city is featured in the ad? (Or is it not any particular city?)

EricNau
Mar 20, 2006, 01:45 AM
I just saw it on TV! :)

Chacala_Nayarit
Mar 20, 2006, 12:51 PM
I pointed out to my mother, "see that's motion graphics! That's the area of design you can get paid good money....Figures it's an iPod commercial from Apple....they make the application Motion." :)

She could not understand what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

Medusa*
Mar 20, 2006, 11:14 PM
~The BEST iPod ad yet! So fresh and innovative! Those silhouette ads were getting old! A really fabulous ad!:D

zack.williams
Mar 26, 2006, 07:46 AM
awsome ad apple! 10 out of 10 its about time something new came on tv from apple!

student_trap
Mar 26, 2006, 07:57 AM
its nice to see that they are doing something different, however i dont rate this new add much at all, seems a little plain

bense27
Mar 26, 2006, 10:17 AM
I thought it was the worst iPod cpmmercial yet:rolleyes:

Medusa*
Mar 30, 2006, 09:35 AM
Everyone we know thinks this is just the best iPod ad yet. It is very cool and so much better than the old ads. It is so smart and clean. Very imaginative. The general concensus we have heard is it is INCREDIBLE!~:D

Zoowatch
Mar 30, 2006, 01:30 PM
it's good that's we're seeing other styles of iPod adverts

but this new ad is not that nice IMO