Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcpix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2005
I was thinking of picking up a refurbished ibook g4.

I was wondering how well it worked with an external monitor without the monitor spanning hack. I'm not going to be playing any games, and I have a 17" CRT, so resolution is not a problem. I just want to know if it works okay or if it feels slow.

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
mcpix said:
I was thinking of picking up a refurbished ibook g4.

I was wondering how well it worked with an external monitor without the monitor spanning hack. I'm not going to be playing any games, and I have a 17" CRT, so resolution is not a problem. I just want to know if it works okay or if it feels slow.

It's not slow, it works great. BUT it is SO much BETTER with the spanning hack as you can change the resolution for a start! I do this an just use the ibook screen for Mail and have everything else on the external.

Do it! You'll love it!

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I know the screen spanning hack has been discussed quite a few times on this and other Mac forums. I am still unclear why Apple made the current iBook's screen spanning function off even though you can turn it on via a hack. It's possible Apple arranged iBook in this way to differential it from the PowerBook line. But, that rationale does not make sense as it deliberately restricts iBook's performance (with this feature on, they could have sold iBook more without impacting PowerBook sales).

findpankaj

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2005
YS2003 said:
I know the screen spanning hack has been discussed quite a few times on this and other Mac forums. I am still unclear why Apple made the current iBook's screen spanning function off even though you can turn it on via a hack. It's possible Apple arranged iBook in this way to differential it from the PowerBook line. But, that rationale does not make sense as it deliberately restricts iBook's performance (with this feature on, they could have sold iBook more without impacting PowerBook sales).

Worst ever apple strategy....foolish..
According to them, its an entry level laptop....:mad:

My cribs won't end :eek:
I switched to mac in Nov. Everything I liked about apple but this silly junky idea....

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Why would you want to run a 17" CRT without the hack? All you can do is mirror your iBook's display so you be looking at the same thing twice - only in a low resolution on the CRT.

Get the hack, don't use clamshell mode and it's great. It's made my work a lot easier being able to run two independent displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.