PDA

View Full Version : Successfully copied music from iPod to Mac but cannot add to library

hubercats
Mar 17, 2006, 11:58 AM
Hello,
I used the "ditto" command to copy all the music from my iPod to my Mac G4. This resulted in 17 GBytes of music in the iPod_Control directory on my Mac. Now, however, I'm unable to add the music to my iTunes library. I've used the "add to library" command numerous times in the past with no problem. In this case I think I'm running into "invisible file" problems. I've used TinkerTool to (supposedly) make all file visible and it seems to work in the Finder but not in iTunes. Specifically, when I try the "add to library" command the directory and included files don't show. I created a new directory and then did a recursive copy of all the subdirctories to that directory. Then when I try the "add to library" command in iTunes I can see the (new) top level directory but none of the subdirectories. I tried playing around with file permissions (changing ownership to/from root to my user ID and back) but it didn't help. Then I used the "find" command in combination with the "setfile" command to recursively descend the directory tree (starting at the top level music folder that I copies from my iPod) and explicitly change the "invisible" bit. After doing so I still cannot see any of the subdirectories and hence music files from with iTunes. I also tried dragging the music folder into the iTunes window but still no luck. Any suggestions on how to get the music into my iTunes library will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

opusthe2nd
Mar 17, 2006, 05:00 PM
What are the perms set at? I think it has to do with that.

Should be:

drwxr-xr-x 3 opus opus 102 Nov 26 22:15 The Sweetest Gift

hubercats
Mar 17, 2006, 08:11 PM
Hi,
My permission flags are set exactly as you suggest (i.e. drwxr-xr-x).

Thanks,

Jim

opusthe2nd
Mar 17, 2006, 10:14 PM
You know, I had this very same problem the other night, with 1 file. It was a file I edited with Audacity. If I could only remember how I fixed it. *sigh*

Maybe it will come to me.

hubercats
Mar 17, 2006, 11:21 PM
Hi Opusthe2nd,
Believe me I know the feeling you describe ("sigh"). I have one question that perhaps you can answer regarding the directory and file permissions. Namely, do you know if iTunes runs as a user application or a "root" application (perhaps via setuid or some such thing)? I was thinking about the permission flags (the usual user/group/other) and it got me to thinking about who the "user" should be in this case. Also, do you have your files set up such that they are owned by you or are they owned by some other user (perhaps root)?

Thanks,

Jim

opusthe2nd
Mar 17, 2006, 11:27 PM
Hey Jim,

Everything is the user, including the group. Nothing is root. That is how it is for me anyways. Actually, you can chmod 644 all the files and it will be fine as well.

Show me what you have.

hubercats
Mar 18, 2006, 09:44 AM
Hi Opusthe2nd,
Last night I discovered a free app called Senuti that makes copying files from the iPod to the Mac trivial. Hence my problem is solved. After finding Senuti I deleted the files that I had imported via the "ditto" command and hence I cannot check the permissions and ownership of those files now. However, before deleting the directory I descended a few subdirectories below the top-level directory to check the permission flags on the individual music files. Whereas the top-level directory had the permissions that you indicated should be in place (i.e. drwxr-xr-x) the individual files had different settings. I'm not absolutely certain but as I recall they had "-rw-rw-rw". If it would be helpful for you to know I can rerun the experiment. Also, for the record, I checked the file perms on the individual m4a files that Senuti uploaded and they are "-rw-r--r--".

Cheers,

Jim

hubercats
Mar 18, 2006, 09:50 AM
All,
After much screwing around trying to get iTunes to add files uploaded via the "ditto" command line I gave up and tried a free app called Senuti. I have nothing but praise for Senuti. It made the process of extracting files from the iPod trivial and resulted. I was then able to add the extracted files to my iTunes library with no problems. Senuti even retained all the CD and individual music file titles rather than storing them in the obtuse Apple format (i.e. subdirectory names F00, F01, etc. and encoded file names that have no resemblance to the actual name).

Bottom line --- Senuti rocks!

Jim

PS: Thanks to Opusthe2nd for all the help prior to my discovering Senuti!

opusthe2nd
Mar 18, 2006, 10:09 AM
Jim,

After some reading, a while ago. I read a comparison between m4a and mp3 qualities. Seems mp3 beats m4a, so, I converted everything to mp3. Slick as a whistle to do. Now I have a 'normally' formatted file that can be played on everything. Glad I did it.

Glad you got things resolved too. I will make a mental note of Senuti.

hubercats
Mar 18, 2006, 02:13 PM
Hi Opusthe2nd,
I would appreciate it if you would tell me how you converted your music files from m4a to mp3. I may convert also.

Thanks!

Jim

opusthe2nd
Mar 18, 2006, 02:49 PM
Jim,

In iTunes, go to advanced and then 'convert selection to mp3'. :)

I selected them all. It will give you the new mp3 and the existing m4a. After it was done, and it takes a while, I just deleted the ones that are highlighted. The new mp3's are right under the highlighted one. Try it on a couple before you do the whole thing. Also, in Preferences, I selected to import any new music to mp3.

Let me know how it goes. Like I said, do a trial of it before you go and delete your whole music dir. *;o)

hubercats
Mar 18, 2006, 06:45 PM
Hi Opusthe2nd,
I'll make a comparison of m4a and mp3 quality and decide if I want to switch over. Whether I do or not I really appreciate your patient assistance over the last few days.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and thanks again!

Jim

opusthe2nd
Mar 18, 2006, 06:49 PM
Jim,

This was one of the links I read:

http://www.xciv.org/~meta/audio-shootout/

Have at it!

Glad I could help...or at least offer feedback. *;o)