Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research analyst firm PiperJaffray informed clients that they expected that Apple would release an Apple branded cell phone in the next 12 months.

Additionally, we believe Apple will benefit from the new Intel-based Mac's, along with what we estimate to be a 75 percent chance of a iPhone in the next 12 months."

Rumors of an Apple-branded phone has been ongoing for years. The rumors have slowed down since the release of the Motorola iTunes-capable phone.

Apple trademarked Mobile Me earlier this year, which many have felt could be related to a phone service. Meanwhile, Apple has also filed a trademark for the term "Aloha" in Hong Kong. This trademark was filed back in December 22, 2004 and based on the classification may simply have been an alternative name for Apple's Bonjour technology but the trademark categories also cover a broad range of devices.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Avoiding the issue of carrier (it will likely be a GSM, but with the attention that the rest of the world isn't getting - maybe not), I am really excited about this. I spent the last hour of an all day meeting drawing up diagrams for my ideal phone...

pubius

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
i switched to cingular for the mac compatable phones. i am going to guess that in order to have world relevance it would have to be gsm. so that would rule out verizon. at least for now. if mac cells take off, my guess is they would eventually span all communication formats. just a guess.

mackeeper

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
I hope its Sprint.

I hate how it's always another motorola phone. Apple should just make its own phone. It would look so much better and people would probably buy it.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I would probably be wiling to switch carriers for an Apple-branded cell phone, perhaps there should be a poll to see who here would?

running

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
come on...

iPod video is more or less the real thing.

mac tablet? ok, i believe it is true an we will se it maybe this year, maybe not.

but mac mobile? come on, what is this rumor based on? on "aloha" and "mobile me"? i remember the rumors about trademark "vingles" ... now we know this is only Video Singles in iTMS... i think this will be the same.

Alasta

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
I would love to get hold of an Apple phone, and I will probably hold onto my existing handset for a bit longer in anticipation, but it has to be said that the market for new handsets is saturated. There are so many good handsets out there that Apple would really need to come up with something novel and unique in order to suceed in this market.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
puckhead193 said:
i hope its true... but its gotta be for verizon....
why would it be for verizone...that really doesnt make any sense since the itunes enabled phones are with Cingular, they will most likely stay with them.

Well they better or I may have to switch plans!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
MattyMac said:
why would it be for verizone...that really doesnt make any sense since the itunes enabled phones are with Cingular, they will most likely stay with them.

Well they better or I may have to switch plans!

Then in that case, I won't be buying the iPhone, as once my contract is up in December, I'm getting as far away from Suckgular as I can.

An awesome phone is nothing more than a paperweight with horrible service and reception. I shop for carriers first then phones second, not the other way around.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
This appears to be just an analyst's speculation based on nothing apart from what everyone on this site reads every day. The 75% hedge is convenient: High enough that the analyst can say, "I told you so," but low enough that he or she can say, "Hey, I never said it WOULD happen."

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Yeah, I'd bet it won't be for Verizon either, since all the other companies are using GSM now, Apple can make 1 phone that comes unlocked for any network. They won't bother making a special version for Verizon. If they do, Verizon will want to put their OS on it and everything. Apple won't do that.

I have Verizon though, so I guess no iPhone for me.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
Apple Phone

If this happens, they would have to put a reasonable price point on it. I suppose it would be around $300-$500. I've gone through so many phones I can't see myself buying one.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Additionally, we believe Apple will benefit from the new Intel-based Mac's, along with what we estimate to be a 75 percent chance of a iPhone in the next 12 months."

75% chance? Is this a weather forecast???

If you think there's a "75%" chance of Apple doing something, you're just guessing like the rest of us; These analysts are pretty weak if they need this much wiggle room with their statements to clients...

I rate thee negative.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
iSee said:
75% chance? Is this a weather forecast???

If you think there's a "75%" chance of Apple doing something, you're just guessing like the rest of us; These analysts are pretty weak if they need this much wiggle room with their statements to clients...

I rate thee negative.

Although, there is a 50% chance of that.:)

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Dandaman said:
doh, and my cell phone contract ends next month. what to do...:confused: :confused:

daniel

Why don't you NOT renew it but keep your current provider. That's what I did. While the majority of people seem to be stuck with their current cell phone company, whether they like it or not, you don't have to be in a contract to keep from being bilked by the per-minute rates prepaid customers pay.

I got my service with T-Mobile in 2001, and it was a one year contract. Since it ended, I've been with them paying the same rates I did before, but I'm free to leave at any time should I get pissed at them or want to take a deal with someone else. I replaced my phone last year by buying a used phone on eBay. There's all sorts of people changing from one provider to another and needing to get rid of their old phones. Since I wasn't planning on changing carriers, I got a phone that was still locked to T-Mobile. I could have bought an unlocked phone, but I saved money by pruchasing one still locked, and I can always unlock it myself. Charged it up and swapped the SIM card over, done. The phone was works fine.

The point is you don't HAVE to jump into anothre contract just becuase the one you have is ending. Check with your provider to make sure they don't have you on an "auto-renewing contract" (which does nothing to serve you). It simply means if you don't tell them you want out of contract you get put into another one automatically, and you don't get another free phone automatically or any other benefit in doing so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.