PDA

View Full Version : 1 or 2 meg level 3 cache?


TiWarrior
Jan 30, 2003, 03:23 AM
Ok, so it's time to upgrade the poor Sawtooth G4 400MHz! I am looking at the new specs of the Powermacs, and cant decide on 1.25 or 1.42 meg. Will the extra 1 meg per processor level 3 cache and .17GHz make that much difference?

Thanks in advance,

TiWarrior

Bear
Jan 30, 2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by TiWarrior
Ok, so it's time to upgrade the poor Sawtooth G4 400MHz! I am looking at the new specs of the Powermacs, and cant decide on 1.25 or 1.42 meg. Will the extra 1 meg per processor level 3 cache and .17GHz make that much difference?
The .17GHz will make at most a 13.6% difference. The extre megabyte of level 3 cache could make even more difference depending on the application.

Also, the price difference if you configure the dual 1.25 and 1.42 the same, it is only a couple of hundred dollars I think. (You can delete/downgrade some of the options on the dual 1.42, but not all of them.)

Also, another factor is, how long are you planning on keeping this machine before upgrading? Based on the low dollar cost difference, I'd go for the faster machine. You probably want more than 256meg of ram anyway and the bigger disk is not that much more. And if you don't want the superdrive, you can change that to a combo drive. etc etc etc

Of course there is the wait time for the 1.42MHz model. So it depends on if you can wait or not.