PDA

View Full Version : New Powermacs! booting into OS X only.

noelmac75
Jan 30, 2003, 07:33 AM
Can someone explain to me about why the new powermacs will boot into OS X only, what will the difference be, will I never be able to use os 9 on these new systems, Iam thinking of buying one of the new powermacs soon, i use a lot of apps in os 9 at work for graphics etc.. will i have to go out and buy all os x apps to work on my new system?

HELP APPRECIATED.

Bear
Jan 30, 2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by noelmac75
Can someone explain to me about why the new powermacs will boot into OS X only, what will the difference be, will I never be able to use os 9 on these new systems, Iam thinking of buying one of the new powermacs soon, i use a lot of apps in os 9 at work for graphics etc.. will i have to go out and buy all os x apps to work on my new system?
They are still selling the previous dual 1.25GHz if you need OS 9 boot capability.

The new machines still run classic. (If I read correctly.)

However, updating your applications could be worthwhile. This is something only you can decide.

I do know I like Photoshop 7 better than I like Photoshop 6.

Also, some companies have relativly low upgrade charges. It may not be as bad as you think. And you would get the new features.

MisterMe
Jan 30, 2003, 08:16 AM

HELP APPRECIATED. Two things: (1) You can use MacOS 9 in the Classic environment. Though it won't support everything that MacOS 9 did, it does support most. (2) The new Macs include FireWire 800 which did not exist when MacOS 9 was developed. MacOS 9 was an impediment to the development of the Mac. Let it go. If you can't let it go, continue to use your old machine until your applications are developed for MacOS X. If your old machine needs to be replaced, fear not. Most Macs on the store shelves today can boot into MacOS 9. Buy one of those. This is not rocket science.

noelmac75
Jan 30, 2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by MisterMe
Two things: (1) You can use MacOS 9 in the Classic environment. Though it won't support everything that MacOS 9 did, it does support most. (2) The new Macs include FireWire 800 which did not exist when MacOS 9 was developed. MacOS 9 was an impediment to the development of the Mac. Let it go. If you can't let it go, continue to use your old machine until your applications are developed for MacOS X. If your old machine needs to be replaced, fear not. Most Macs on the store shelves today can boot into MacOS 9. Buy one of those. This is not rocket science.

I just need it to run apps like photoshop/quark/illustrator, will they work on the new macs? what will it not run?

dricci
Jan 30, 2003, 08:50 AM

I just need it to run apps like photoshop/quark/illustrator, will they work on the new macs? what will it not run?

Photoshop and Illustrator have native Mac OS X versions available, you'll probably want to upgrade both of those to the new versions unless you want to run them in the "Classic" environment.

Quark is still MIA, but runs reasonably well in Classic mode. Just be careful if you have any special printer drivers or other drivers/devices that may not be compatible with 10. Expect a native version of Quark, I'd say, within the next six months.