PDA

View Full Version : G5 imac 20 on intel 17

Carson
Mar 17, 2006, 09:15 PM
So I'm in all kinds of perdicaments in deciding my next computer, First it was the macbook, now its the iMac. I was looking through the educational discounts on the Intel iMacs and I saw the refurbished section. For almost the same price. 1,299 I could get a iMac G5 20-inch 2.1GHz or for a hundred bucks less I can get a 17inch CoreDuo.
I can see alot of advantages to having the G5, mostly the fact that I can keep Final cut and all my editing programs and I won't have to buy the universal Adobe suite, not to mention the screen space.
Is there any tecnical aspects that might trip me up one way or the other? Theres not much differnce aside from the prossesor right?

calebjohnston
Mar 17, 2006, 09:26 PM
If you need a PPC to do your work, and the price + screen size suits you better, then it's a no-brainer.

Don't worry if it's intel or not - PPC will be supported for a long time to come.

plinkoman
Mar 18, 2006, 12:14 AM
yea, it sounds like you'd benifit more from the 20"G5. http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emthup.gif

eXan
Mar 18, 2006, 12:37 AM
20 inch is nice, really nice, I wish I had one, but the Core Duo version has 2 CPU cores (=much faster), 2 user-servicable RAM slots, faster GPU for Motion or games and a SATA2 drive.

If I had a choice, I'd get Core Duo just for the video card and 2nd CPU core.
:o I wish they made a dual-core G5 iMac with similar specs